Old 23-04-2011, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Drought

This drought is getting serious now.
We have had no proper rain for two months with only one small useless shower
in that time that I can remember. Been watering our allotment since we put
in the Shallots and Onion sets in the beginning of March. For us, watering
in March and April is unheard of! Now we have a lot of stuff planted we are
watering almost daily as if it's the height of summer, even plants that
should cope like old currant bushes are having to be watered, and the ground
is bone dry to quite a depth.
How is everyone else coping?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 23-04-2011, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
This drought is getting serious now.
We have had no proper rain for two months with only one small useless
shower in that time that I can remember. Been watering our allotment since
we put in the Shallots and Onion sets in the beginning of March. For us,
watering in March and April is unheard of! Now we have a lot of stuff
planted we are watering almost daily as if it's the height of summer, even
plants that should cope like old currant bushes are having to be watered,
and the ground is bone dry to quite a depth.
How is everyone else coping?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Similar situation, BUT, according to the weather forecast, we are due for a
downpour this afternoon.

Did you see my posting reference our water butts? """Ash before Oak, in for
a soak""" 21/04/2011

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Old 23-04-2011, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...

This drought is getting serious now.
We have had no proper rain for two months with only one small useless shower
in that time that I can remember. Been watering our allotment since we put
in the Shallots and Onion sets in the beginning of March. For us, watering
in March and April is unheard of! Now we have a lot of stuff planted we are
watering almost daily as if it's the height of summer, even plants that
should cope like old currant bushes are having to be watered, and the ground
is bone dry to quite a depth.
How is everyone else coping?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Had half an inch of rain here in South Cheshire last night - accompanied by
thunder and lightning which severely upset our dog - and the garden
certainly looks a lot fresher

Jeanne

Old 23-04-2011, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/23/2011 09:40 AM, Bob Hobden wrote:
This drought is getting serious now.
We have had no proper rain for two months with only one small useless
shower in that time that I can remember. Been watering our allotment
since we put in the Shallots and Onion sets in the beginning of March.
For us, watering in March and April is unheard of! Now we have a lot of
stuff planted we are watering almost daily as if it's the height of
summer, even plants that should cope like old currant bushes are having
to be watered, and the ground is bone dry to quite a depth.
How is everyone else coping?

Certainly miserable in Normandy. Dry as a bone. Thundering now, I took
the car to the car wash as a sort of incantation.

Water butt is about empty, we'll be pumping from the well soon.

They say this year is dryer than the legendary '76.

-E
Old 23-04-2011, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
On 04/23/2011 09:40 AM, Bob Hobden wrote:
This drought is getting serious now.
We have had no proper rain for two months with only one small useless
shower in that time that I can remember. Been watering our allotment
since we put in the Shallots and Onion sets in the beginning of March.
For us, watering in March and April is unheard of! Now we have a lot of
stuff planted we are watering almost daily as if it's the height of
summer, even plants that should cope like old currant bushes are having
to be watered, and the ground is bone dry to quite a depth.
How is everyone else coping?

Certainly miserable in Normandy. Dry as a bone. Thundering now, I took
the car to the car wash as a sort of incantation.

Water butt is about empty, we'll be pumping from the well soon.

They say this year is dryer than the legendary '76.

-E

and '76?

I was in Camp Hill Prison ;-) waiting for planning permission for an
extension on my house. This was granted in September .................. when
the skies opened :-((

Old 23-04-2011, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

[...]

I should add, and before the clique pass comment, I was teaching in Camp
Hill Prison ;-))

:-))

Old 23-04-2011, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote ...

Bob Hobden wrote:
This drought is getting serious now.
We have had no proper rain for two months with only one small useless
shower in that time that I can remember. Been watering our allotment
since we put in the Shallots and Onion sets in the beginning of March.
For us, watering in March and April is unheard of! Now we have a lot of
stuff planted we are watering almost daily as if it's the height of
summer, even plants that should cope like old currant bushes are having
to be watered, and the ground is bone dry to quite a depth.
How is everyone else coping?

Certainly miserable in Normandy. Dry as a bone. Thundering now, I took
the car to the car wash as a sort of incantation.

Water butt is about empty, we'll be pumping from the well soon.

They say this year is dryer than the legendary '76.

This evening there was a thunder storm all around and we got just a few rain
drops, not enough to wet the patio. Went out later and less than half a mile
away there were large puddles in the road, so frustrating.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 24-04-2011, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
This drought is getting serious now.
We have had no proper rain for two months with only one small useless
shower in that time that I can remember. Been watering our allotment since
we put in the Shallots and Onion sets in the beginning of March. For us,
watering in March and April is unheard of! Now we have a lot of stuff
planted we are watering almost daily as if it's the height of summer, even
plants that should cope like old currant bushes are having to be watered,
and the ground is bone dry to quite a depth.
How is everyone else coping?

Here on the Suffolk coast we have forgotten what rain is! Watering the
lottie and garden regularly. Strange the drought doesn't seem to affect the
weeds though :-{

--
Kathy

Old 24-04-2011, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Emery Davis
writes
On 04/23/2011 09:40 AM, Bob Hobden wrote:
This drought is getting serious now.
We have had no proper rain for two months with only one small useless
shower in that time that I can remember. Been watering our allotment
since we put in the Shallots and Onion sets in the beginning of March.
For us, watering in March and April is unheard of! Now we have a lot of
stuff planted we are watering almost daily as if it's the height of
summer, even plants that should cope like old currant bushes are having
to be watered, and the ground is bone dry to quite a depth.
How is everyone else coping?

Certainly miserable in Normandy. Dry as a bone. Thundering now, I took
the car to the car wash as a sort of incantation.

Water butt is about empty, we'll be pumping from the well soon.

They say this year is dryer than the legendary '76.

Yup, been very dry here in mid Cambridgeshire, have had one very brief
shower a few weeks ago that has been it since the last proper rain
sometime in Feb. Much watering of course. Though it seems less of an
issue down here generally, than it was in Leeds when it's dry,
presumably because it's always very dry here anyway, so the water system
etc. is better able to cope?

Could well be dryer so far than '76, though the problems that year were
compounded by the 75 being pretty dry as well IIRC.

I'm surprised there has not been more a stories in the press about this
as it must already be impacting on the water in reservoirs etc?
--
Chris French

Old 24-04-2011, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 08:40:23 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

This drought is getting serious now.
We have had no proper rain for two months with only one small useless
shower
in that time that I can remember. Been watering our allotment since we put
in the Shallots and Onion sets in the beginning of March. For us, watering
in March and April is unheard of! Now we have a lot of stuff planted we
are
watering almost daily as if it's the height of summer, even plants that
should cope like old currant bushes are having to be watered, and the
ground
is bone dry to quite a depth.
How is everyone else coping?

Roads were flooded in Sheffield yesterday afternoon. Guess?
--

Martin

Burst water main and GALLONS of water gone to waste?

Old 24-04-2011, 11:14 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris French View Post
Though it seems less of an
issue down here generally, than it was in Leeds when it's dry,
presumably because it's always very dry here anyway, so the water system
etc. is better able to cope?
Though when you were in Leeds, it was before they upgraded the water system, wasn't it? They had a system installed when they thought it impossible to have a drought in W Yorks, and it was very good at taken water away, but there was no way of getting any water into the region.

I think we've had about a fortnight of dry weather (I've been away, so am reliant on hearsay). It's certainly quite dry here - Amelanchier and fritillary petals drying on the flower rather than falling. But I've not felt a need to water the garden, and last night it appears to have rained quite hard.
__________________
Old 24-04-2011, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes

wrote:

This drought is getting serious now.
We have had no proper rain for two months with only one small useless shower
in that time that I can remember. Been watering our allotment since we put
in the Shallots and Onion sets in the beginning of March. For us, watering
in March and April is unheard of! Now we have a lot of stuff planted we are
watering almost daily as if it's the height of summer, even plants that
should cope like old currant bushes are having to be watered, and the ground
is bone dry to quite a depth.
How is everyone else coping?

Roads were flooded in Sheffield yesterday afternoon.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...0BC01F1E000005
78-980_966x559.jpg

Yeah, friends of ours who live in Sheffield were hearing about the
flooding, whilst not see a drop of rain :-)
--
Chris French

Old 24-04-2011, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

and because we didn't see a drop, I wondered if it was a broken water main!!

but not had an answer ;-(

Old 24-04-2011, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

This drought is getting serious now...

is bone dry to quite a depth.
How is everyone else coping?

Roads were flooded in Sheffield yesterday afternoon. Guess?

Burst water main and GALLONS of water gone to waste?

No, absolutely hammered it down for a short period.

Did the same here in London.
--
Phil Cook
Old 24-04-2011, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote in message

chris French;918803 Wrote:

[...]

falling"" now that is odd because even though it has been dry here, ours
shed their petals all over the bird bath in one case, but an interesting, I
hope, question. Do yours send up suckers which are true trees to follow on?
We only bought one, but now have three and there is a wonderful sucker
coming on one of them which we will 'nurse' and pass on to our daughter who
has a 2 acre walled landscaped garden, but with room for more substantial
plants ..... :-( especially when a couple of Horse Chestnuts are taken out.

Mike
South East Coast of the Isle of Wight

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

dog-gone another drought, only this is a Spring time drought [email protected] Plant Science 5 06-06-2006 06:27 PM
(LONG) Drought likely for 3rd year in Klamath Basin Daniel B. Wheeler alt.forestry 0 23-02-2003 12:54 AM
Drought and Roses B. Midler Roses 11 15-02-2003 08:15 AM
Drought & more len brauer Permaculture 7 28-01-2003 04:26 PM
Drought Fran Higham Permaculture 2 16-01-2003 11:20 PM