Old 07-05-2011, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Recommend a cheap grass-slashing tool?

I have a lot of long grass to cut down. Cannot afford a mechanical or
electric device, so I am looking for a manual tool. I woild get a scythe,
but they typically cost a lot. I do not want to do a lot of bending (as one
would say with a sickle) - so I am looking at other kinds of grass
slashers. Has anyone found one that they can recommend? Can you provide a
link?

Here is one I have seen : http://tinyurl.com/6bf8te7

There are other designs too...

TIA!
Old 08-05-2011, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet wrote in
:

In article ,
says...

I have a lot of long grass to cut down. Cannot afford a mechanical or
electric device, so I am looking for a manual tool. I woild get a
scythe, but they typically cost a lot. I do not want to do a lot of
bending (as one would say with a sickle) - so I am looking at other
kinds of grass slashers. Has anyone found one that they can
recommend? Can you provide a link?

Here is one I have seen :
http://tinyurl.com/6bf8te7

There are other designs too...

TIA!

I would hire a big strimmer to clear the area, rake it off after,
then
keep the grass down with a cheap push-mower.

Janet

Hi Janet,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I specifically want a hand tool, partly
because they are quiter, partly because they are less expensive in the
lonbg run, and partly because I just enjoy slashing grass manually.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:28 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL_n View Post
Janet wrote in
:

In article ,
says...

I have a lot of long grass to cut down. Cannot afford a mechanical or
electric device, so I am looking for a manual tool. I woild get a
scythe, but they typically cost a lot. I do not want to do a lot of
bending (as one would say with a sickle) - so I am looking at other
kinds of grass slashers. Has anyone found one that they can
recommend? Can you provide a link?

Here is one I have seen :
Grass Whip, Whip long grass into shape! Garden Equipment

There are other designs too...

TIA!

I would hire a big strimmer to clear the area, rake it off after,
then
keep the grass down with a cheap push-mower.

Janet

Hi Janet,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I specifically want a hand tool, partly
because they are quiter, partly because they are less expensive in the
lonbg run, and partly because I just enjoy slashing grass manually.
Have you tried freecycle/freegle? You might be able to get a scythe if someone is clearing out a garage.
__________________
Old 08-05-2011, 07:33 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
Have you tried freecycle/freegle? You might be able to get a scythe if someone is clearing out a garage.
There's a new species of bumble bee - the Tree bee - moved in from Europe, which rather likes nesting in used tit nesting boxes. You could try putting up a nest box, and putting some debris in it to mimic a blue tit nest. This is just wild thinking on my part - but I'd give it a greater chance of success than trying to escort a bumblebee into a bamboo tube.
__________________
Old 09-05-2011, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Sun, 8 May 2011 18:28:25 +0000, kay
wrote:

AL_n;920401 Wrote:
Janet wrote in
:
-
In article ,
says...-

[...]

Needs a bit of training, a fair sense of rhythm, and a lot of
practice, though: if a scythe's sharp enough to be much use, it's a
serious danger to the user's left ankle.

--
Mike.