Old 17-05-2011, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Right time to take the seeds

Have some wisteria with quite small seed pods about 2cm long and 3mm wide.
How does one know the right time to take the seeds for propogation please?

Old 17-05-2011, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 17 May 2011 14:21:05 +0100, "john ryan"
wrote:

Have some wisteria with quite small seed pods about 2cm long and 3mm wide.
How does one know the right time to take the seeds for propogation please?

Wisteria grown from seed is unlikely to flower for 20 years or so. You
could try cuttings now but layering is probably a much easier way to
propagate them (again, now's about the right time for that).
Old 17-05-2011, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 17 May 2011 Jake wrote:

Have some wisteria with quite small seed pods about 2cm long and 3mm wide.
How does one know the right time to take the seeds for propogation please?

Wisteria grown from seed is unlikely to flower for 20 years or so. You
could try cuttings now but layering is probably a much easier way to
propagate them (again, now's about the right time for that).

Too right. My brother gave me a wisteria seed pod about twenty years ago
- may even have been more because we've been in our present house for
thirty years. I duly sowed the seeds and have one of them in my garden
at present. It has never flowered and received wisdom is that it never
will.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 17-05-2011, 04:46 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by john ryan View Post
Have some wisteria with quite small seed pods about 2cm long and 3mm wide.
How does one know the right time to take the seeds for propogation please?
The seed pods are about 20cm long and 2cm wide when fully grown. But see Jake's response.