Old 17-05-2011, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Get rid of foxes by....

Consider removing earthworms from your garden (some products may be
available from DIY or garden centres)

http://www.oldham.gov.uk/environment...fare/foxes.htm

Isn't that a bad idea?

--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com -*- http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk -*- http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 17-05-2011, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
Consider removing earthworms from your garden (some products may be
available from DIY or garden centres)

http://www.oldham.gov.uk/environment...fare/foxes.htm

Isn't that a bad idea?

It's an extremely stupid idea, and it isn't even possible.

Steve

Old 17-05-2011, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 17 May 2011 mogga wrote:

Consider removing earthworms from your garden (some products may be
available from DIY or garden centres)

http://www.oldham.gov.uk/environment...fare/foxes.htm

Isn't that a bad idea?

The person that wrote that obviously knows nothing about gardening.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 17-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Indeed, just bring back fox hunting.
Old 17-05-2011, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/05/2011 16:25, David Rance wrote:
On Tue, 17 May 2011 mogga wrote:

Consider removing earthworms from your garden (some products may be
available from DIY or garden centres)

http://www.oldham.gov.uk/environment...fare/foxes.htm

Isn't that a bad idea?

The person that wrote that obviously knows nothing about gardening.

It is rather funny though. It take it is not an April 1st edition?

I wonder if anyone has been daft enough to introduce New Zealand
flatworms into their garden to try and follow this advice.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 17-05-2011, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On May 17, 6:26*pm, Martin Brown
wrote:
On 17/05/2011 16:25, David Rance wrote:

On Tue, 17 May 2011 mogga wrote:

Consider removing earthworms from your garden (some products may be
available from DIY or garden centres)

http://www.oldham.gov.uk/environment...fare/foxes.htm

Isn't that a bad idea?

The person that wrote that obviously knows nothing about gardening.

It is rather funny though. It take it is not an April 1st edition?

I wonder if anyone has been daft enough to introduce New Zealand
flatworms into their garden to try and follow this advice.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Watering a solution of Potasium permanganate will bring the worms to
the surface to die, I wonder if it does the sme to New Zealand
flatworms.
Old 17-05-2011, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 17 May 2011 10:47:52 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

On May 17, 6:26*pm, Martin Brown
wrote:
On 17/05/2011 16:25, David Rance wrote:

On Tue, 17 May 2011 mogga wrote:

Consider removing earthworms from your garden (some products may be
available from DIY or garden centres)

http://www.oldham.gov.uk/environment...fare/foxes.htm

Isn't that a bad idea?

The person that wrote that obviously knows nothing about gardening.

It is rather funny though. It take it is not an April 1st edition?

I wonder if anyone has been daft enough to introduce New Zealand
flatworms into their garden to try and follow this advice.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Watering a solution of Potasium permanganate will bring the worms to
the surface to die, I wonder if it does the sme to New Zealand
flatworms.

I read somewhere a while back that any chemical that kills earthworms
kills flat worms and, unfortunately, vice versa. Jusy killing all your
earthworms won't kill the flatworms as they can live for up to 2 years
without feeding (though they become flatter) and within that time, no
doubt, the normal worms will have found their way back.

What is interesting is that (1990s legislation) if you have NZ
flatworms in your garden it's illegal to allow them to escape from it
unless you can prove you have taken all reasonable measures to prevent
that escape. How the hell do you do that, I wonder?

Find a flatworm. Panic. Immediately dig trench half a mile deep all
round garden and fill it with impenetrable concrete to half a mile
above ground. Sorry sir! Not enough, you should have taken steps to
prevent it climbing over the barrier ;-).

You could always risk importing some Tasmanian gnat maggots. They seem
to be very partial to flatworms though we don't know what else they
are partial to yet and they might be little devils.

I also discovered today that I mustn't let cotoneaster horizontalis
get from my garden into the wild ("wild" is around two sides of my
garden). Does this mean that I must start shooting any bird that flies
off with a berry in its beak in case that bird eats the berry and
poops out the seed?
Old 17-05-2011, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 17 May 2011 Jake wrote:

Isn't that a bad idea?

The person that wrote that obviously knows nothing about gardening.

Trolls feed on replies

Janet

Don't know if I'm reading you wrong, Janet, but I've never thought of
Mogga as one of those - her initial post was referring to a stupid
local authority web site and I guess David was referring to the site
in what he said.

Correct!

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 17-05-2011, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mogga wrote:

http://www.oldham.gov.uk/environment...fare/foxes.htm

And my apologies for not looking at the link in more detail- obviously, the
advise to get rid of your earthworms is especially daft!

Here in the colonies, the mayor of Albany, New York just vetoed a bill that
would have allowed a limited number of people to keep a limited number of
chickens (no roosters), because he didn't want his city infested with farm
animals.
How glad I am to live out in the country where the main rule is "Do
whatever you wish as long as it doesn't frighten the livestock."

Old 17-05-2011, 11:43 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post

I also discovered today that I mustn't let cotoneaster horizontalis
get from my garden into the wild ("wild" is around two sides of my
garden). Does this mean that I must start shooting any bird that flies
off with a berry in its beak in case that bird eats the berry and
poops out the seed?
I'd get rid of the cotoneaster if I were you. My innocent looking little plant is now 40ft long.

But the brids don't touch it - it's still covered with berries, along with the pernettya.
__________________

Old 17-05-2011, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
mogga wrote:

http://www.oldham.gov.uk/environment...fare/foxes.htm

And my apologies for not looking at the link in more detail- obviously,
the
advise to get rid of your earthworms is especially daft!

Here in the colonies, the mayor of Albany, New York just vetoed a bill
that
would have allowed a limited number of people to keep a limited number of
chickens (no roosters), because he didn't want his city infested with farm
animals.
How glad I am to live out in the country where the main rule is "Do
whatever you wish as long as it doesn't frighten the livestock."

We can, if we wish, keep chickens on our lottie. Roosters are not allowed on
the council's fields, but some people keep them on ours because we are over
a mile from the nearest dwelling [unless you count the sewage works]. The
council lottie inspector, who appears to know bog all about gardening, had
the following conversation with one of our plot holders :-

CI "Is that a rooster?"
PH "No, it's a boy chicken."
CI " Oh, that's alright then, you can keep one of them."

He was deadly serious.

--
Kathy

Old 18-05-2011, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , kay
writes

Jake;921908 Wrote:

I also discovered today that I mustn't let cotoneaster horizontalis
get from my garden into the wild ("wild" is around two sides of my
garden). Does this mean that I must start shooting any bird that flies
off with a berry in its beak in case that bird eats the berry and
poops out the seed?

I'd get rid of the cotoneaster if I were you. My innocent looking little
plant is now 40ft long.

There are now 5 species of Cotoneaster on schedule 9 - C. integrifolius
(= C. microphyllus hort.), C. microphyllus, C. simonsii, C. bullatus, C.
horizontalis.

Unless someone is to start aggressively removing Cotoneasters from the
wild this may be closing the stable door after the horse has bolted;
several Cotoneasters are well established in the wild. I've recorded 13
species (and 1 hybrid) of Cotoneaster growing wild (over a 400 km^2)
area, and there are several other taxa that I haven't identified.
Cotoneaster rehderi, which isn't even on schedule 9 (but some people
wanted the whole genus added), is the best established. Cotoneaster
simonsii is about as widespread, but is still mostly restricted to urban
areas. Cotoneaster horizontalis trails in in third place. The new
edition of Stace has 86 taxa of Cotoneaster.

But the brids don't touch it - it's still covered with berries, along
with the pernettya.

The birds touch them sufficiently for seedlings to spring up all over
the place.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 18-05-2011, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-05-17 19:12:40 +0100, Gary Woods said:

Sacha wrote:

Very! What silly advice!

Obvious troll. Best ignored.
Which I have failed to do.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic

Mogga isn't a troll, Gary but a fairly frequent poster. Or do you think
someone has 'tampered' with the advice given by the Council? I'd almost
prefer to believe that!
--

i am plagued by foxes and have had to abandon the idea of free range
chickens as they come in the day.