Old 04-06-2011, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT

This is probably the wrong group for this question
but maybe someone can help or suggest a group
that can.
Last year I tried to make rhubarb jam but couldn't
get it to set, I had two attempts and gave up.
Can anyone suggest where I am going wrong or
has a recipe that works.??
I have loads of the stuff on my lottie and don't like
to see it going to waste.

Wally

Old 04-06-2011, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-06-04 10:09:29 +0100, "Wally" said:

This is probably the wrong group for this question
but maybe someone can help or suggest a group
that can.
Last year I tried to make rhubarb jam but couldn't
get it to set, I had two attempts and gave up.
Can anyone suggest where I am going wrong or
has a recipe that works.??
I have loads of the stuff on my lottie and don't like
to see it going to waste.

Wally

Perhaps you need more pectin than rhubarb has because it actually has very
little. You can buy pectin and I think it's already added to jam sugar.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

I did try jam sugar last year but as you say it might not be enough.
If no one comes up with any other ideas I will try adding more pectin.
Thanks for the reply Sacha.

Wally

Old 04-06-2011, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/06/2011 10:09, Wally wrote:
This is probably the wrong group for this question
but maybe someone can help or suggest a group
that can.
Last year I tried to make rhubarb jam but couldn't
get it to set, I had two attempts and gave up.
Can anyone suggest where I am going wrong or
has a recipe that works.??
I have loads of the stuff on my lottie and don't like
to see it going to waste.

I don't make it however I seem to remember that when my mother made it
(donkeys' years ago - dim recollection!) it was towards the end of the
season rather than the beginning, as the pectin increases as the season
goes on. "Old" rhubarb often has a "sticky" ooze on the stem so I
assume this is what helps the jam to set.

From my wine-making days, I think the opposite applied - early season
rhubarb makes better wine due to the absence of pectin.

Hope this helps.

Jim
Old 04-06-2011, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On 2011-06-04 10:09:29 +0100, "Wally" said:

[...]

Hope it helps. Nobody is ever going to call me a domestic goddess but
apparently, adding the juice of a lemon to 2.5lbs of rhubarb is a good
setting agent.

adding the pips is even better.

The stuff I was trying to think of is called Certo. Tesco have it.

I believe commercial pectin is made from apples, so Wally could cut
out the middle man and make rhubarb and apple jam or jelly. When I
remember, I make a very hot rhubarb and apple chutney; but a cooler
version would be nice, too.

--
Mike.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you all that answered my query, I won't
be trying for a couple of weeks but I now feel
quite confident that I will succeed.
I will be back to let you know how I get on.

Wally

Old 04-06-2011, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 04 Jun 2011 19:52:46 +0100, Mike Lyle wrote:

I believe commercial pectin is made from apples, so Wally could cut
out the middle man and make rhubarb and apple jam or jelly.

Or plums they have very high pectin levels. Maybe a google to find
the pectin levels in various fruits and give a combination that
sounds nice a whirl. Can't say that I've ever heard of anyone making
rhubard jam before, stewed for pies and crumbles or just with
custard.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 04 Jun 2011 13:44:38 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article ,
says...

I did try jam sugar last year but as you say it might not be enough. If
no one comes up with any other ideas I will try adding more pectin.
Thanks for the reply Sacha.

in any jam making you also have to cook the sugar content hot enough
reach "setting point". Most setting failures are from not testing or
recognising setting point correctly. (People tend to confuse the boiling
point of water with the (higher) boiling point of sugar)

http://www.tipking.co.uk/jam_setting.shtml

I use the cold-saucer method not a thermometer.

I favour the cold saucer method too. Throughout the late summer you'll
usually find a big pile of cheap saucers bought from charity shops in my
freezer.

Sometimes getting to the setting point takes a painfully long time.

Rhubarb is pretty low on pectin so it'll be a more difficult one to set.
I'd boil off and strain a few pounds of apples to get a good pectin
extract instead of using water.

At this time of year, the apple trees could do with a bit of thinning so
those 1" baby apples cut in half and boiled down would serve as
candidates.

Warwick
Old 04-06-2011, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 4, 10:09*am, "Wally" wrote:
This is probably the wrong group for this question
but maybe someone can help or suggest a group
that can.
Last year I tried to make rhubarb jam but couldn't
get it to set, I had two attempts and gave up.
Can anyone suggest where I am going wrong or
has a recipe that works.??
I have loads of the stuff on my lottie and don't like
to see it going to waste.

Wally

Buy pectin. Or make rhubarb and plum jam. (Lots of pectin in plums)
Old 04-06-2011, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sat, 04 Jun 2011 19:52:46 +0100, Mike Lyle wrote:

I believe commercial pectin is made from apples, so Wally could cut
out the middle man and make rhubarb and apple jam or jelly.

Or plums they have very high pectin levels. Maybe a google to find
the pectin levels in various fruits and give a combination that
sounds nice a whirl. Can't say that I've ever heard of anyone making
rhubard jam before, stewed for pies and crumbles or just with
custard.

You mean you've *never* had rhubarb and ginger jam!?! You have missed out!

--
Kathy

Old 04-06-2011, 11:37 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Liquorice[_2_] View Post
Can't say that I've ever heard of anyone making
rhubard jam before, stewed for pies and crumbles or just with
custard.
.
Rhubarb and ginger is a standard. I've even seen it in supermarkets.

If you want to get your pectin from a fruit, I'd suggest go the orange/lemon route rather than apple - apple and mulberry jam doesn't seem to set very well.
__________________

Old 05-06-2011, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 23:16:17 +0100, Kathy wrote:

Can't say that I've ever heard of anyone making rhubard jam

before,
stewed for pies and crumbles or just with custard.

You mean you've *never* had rhubarb and ginger jam!?! You have missed
out!

Not knowingly. Looks like I have missed out.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote in news:iscsoa$djq$1
@news.albasani.net:

This is probably the wrong group for this question
but maybe someone can help or suggest a group
that can.
Last year I tried to make rhubarb jam but couldn't
get it to set, I had two attempts and gave up.
Can anyone suggest where I am going wrong or
has a recipe that works.??
I have loads of the stuff on my lottie and don't like
to see it going to waste.

Wally

Cold tea is high in pectin, but I am not sure of the dosage.
Have a look at the url below about other means.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking...icle_6-03.html

My grandma and mother used to make rhubarb, strawberry and gooseberry.
jam and just used tea dregs.

Rhubarb freezes very well too.

Can be bottled with high sugar solution.(google that one).

If you have a surplus after all of this give it away!

Baz