Old 04-06-2011, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default straw for strawberries?

Where do you get it from?

Ours desperately need something to keep them off the ground but am at
a loss as to where to get some straw from. Do garden centres sell it?
Can I use pet hay from the supermarket?
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 04-06-2011, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 04 Jun 2011 12:16:35 +0100, mogga
wrote:

Where do you get it from?
Ours desperately need something to keep them off the ground

Looks as if it may be a bumper year, picked 2lbs for the freezer, and
just six more for dessert, (but they did in total weigh in at over 9
oz's)

So have you thought of something instead of straw?

I use, cut up, wire netting, the small hole green stuff, its cheap,
reusable, cut to any shape, and if bent slightly holds the
strawberries well clear of the soil, allows everything to dry out
after the rain (!) seems to deter the slugs

Works for me
www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info
Old 04-06-2011, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , mogga
writes
Where do you get it from?

Ours desperately need something to keep them off the ground but am at
a loss as to where to get some straw from. Do garden centres sell it?
Can I use pet hay from the supermarket?

Where do you live (village, town, city?)

I buy it from a local farmer, who runs a farm shop and sells some from
there (IIRC £1.50/bale, which will do quite a lot of strawberries - we
use if for general mulching around the veg beds as well)). If you know
of any farm shops you could ask there.

Somewhere that sells horse-y supplies? The is a place near us that sells
pets foods, piltry supplies and horse feeds etc. and IIRc they sell
straw bales.

A sheet mulch of some sort should work ok - some people grow them
through plastic sheet or mulching sheets anyway. layers of newspaper
maybe?
--
Chris French

Old 04-06-2011, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 22:15:40 +0100, chris French
wrote:

A sheet mulch of some sort should work ok - some people grow them
through plastic sheet

Tried that one year, and beware, when it rained, the water collected
and some strawberries rotted.
www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info
Old 05-06-2011, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
Where do you get it from?

Ours desperately need something to keep them off the ground but am at
a loss as to where to get some straw from. Do garden centres sell it?
Can I use pet hay from the supermarket?
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

We use straw for Pet Rabbit/Hamster bedding from our Pet Stores. Plastic
'Carry Home' bag for about £1.50 I think it is lasts for ages.

Strawberries fast and furious now.

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

In message , mogga
writes
Where do you get it from?

Ours desperately need something to keep them off the ground but am at
a loss as to where to get some straw from. Do garden centres sell it?
Can I use pet hay from the supermarket?

Where do you live (village, town, city?)

Oldham but the Manchester side. My OH isn't keen on the idea of
anything dusty/dirty/messy in his car.

I buy it from a local farmer, who runs a farm shop and sells some from
there (IIRC £1.50/bale, which will do quite a lot of strawberries - we
use if for general mulching around the veg beds as well)). If you know
of any farm shops you could ask there.

Somewhere that sells horse-y supplies? The is a place near us that sells
pets foods, piltry supplies and horse feeds etc. and IIRc they sell
straw bales.

Only aldi selling horse blankets... (Always made me smile)

A sheet mulch of some sort should work ok - some people grow them
through plastic sheet or mulching sheets anyway. layers of newspaper
maybe?

I'll have a look at what stuff we have in the garage. I think I have
some agricultural fleece - maybe that will do.

I saw plastic weed control stuff at tesco yesterday £2.40 for 1.5m x
5m.

ta
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 05-06-2011, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 5 Jun 2011 08:15:33 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

"mogga" wrote in message
.. .
Where do you get it from?

Ours desperately need something to keep them off the ground but am at
a loss as to where to get some straw from. Do garden centres sell it?
Can I use pet hay from the supermarket?
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

We use straw for Pet Rabbit/Hamster bedding from our Pet Stores. Plastic
'Carry Home' bag for about £1.50 I think it is lasts for ages.

Strawberries fast and furious now.

Mike

Ahhh the pet hypermarket huge place...
Hadn't thought of there cos it's not that close - but probably best
bet!

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 05-06-2011, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mogga wrote in
:

On Sun, 5 Jun 2011 08:15:33 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

"mogga" wrote in message
. ..
Where do you get it from?

Ours desperately need something to keep them off the ground but am at
a loss as to where to get some straw from. Do garden centres sell it?
Can I use pet hay from the supermarket?
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

We use straw for Pet Rabbit/Hamster bedding from our Pet Stores. Plastic
'Carry Home' bag for about £1.50 I think it is lasts for ages.

Strawberries fast and furious now.

Mike

Ahhh the pet hypermarket huge place...
Hadn't thought of there cos it's not that close - but probably best
bet!

AND the MOST expensive bet.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

Ours desperately need something to keep them off the ground but am at
a loss as to where to get some straw from. Do garden centres sell it?
Can I use pet hay from the supermarket?

Where do you live (village, town, city?)

Oldham but the Manchester side. My OH isn't keen on the idea of
anything dusty/dirty/messy in his car.

* *Agri suppliers usually offer a delivery service. You may have to pay
for it.

* Janet- Hide quoted text -

You dont say how many plants you are growing.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 12:00:37 GMT, Baz wrote:

mogga wrote in
:

wrote:

"mogga" wrote in message
Where do you get it from?

Ours desperately need something to keep them off the ground but am at
a loss as to where to get some straw from. Do garden centres sell it?
Can I use pet hay from the supermarket?
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

We use straw for Pet Rabbit/Hamster bedding from our Pet Stores. Plastic
'Carry Home' bag for about £1.50 I think it is lasts for ages.

Strawberries fast and furious now.

Mike

Ahhh the pet hypermarket huge place...
Hadn't thought of there cos it's not that close - but probably best
bet!

AND the MOST expensive bet.

a fiver for a huge bag that will last probably five years... so not
too dear...

But it's done now!
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Old 05-06-2011, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 5 Jun 2011 08:27:31 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

Ours desperately need something to keep them off the ground but am at
a loss as to where to get some straw from. Do garden centres sell it?
Can I use pet hay from the supermarket?

Where do you live (village, town, city?)

Oldham but the Manchester side. My OH isn't keen on the idea of
anything dusty/dirty/messy in his car.

* *Agri suppliers usually offer a delivery service. You may have to pay
for it.

* Janet- Hide quoted text -

You dont say how many plants you are growing.

Not a huge number - enough hopefully to feed the slugs and us!

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 05-06-2011, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 16:58:37 +0100, mogga
wrote:

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 12:00:37 GMT, Baz wrote:

mogga wrote in
m:

On Sun, 5 Jun 2011 08:15:33 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

"mogga" wrote in message
m...
Where do you get it from?

Ours desperately need something to keep them off the ground but am at
a loss as to where to get some straw from. Do garden centres sell it?
Can I use pet hay from the supermarket?
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

We use straw for Pet Rabbit/Hamster bedding from our Pet Stores. Plastic
'Carry Home' bag for about £1.50 I think it is lasts for ages.

Strawberries fast and furious now.

Mike

Ahhh the pet hypermarket huge place...
Hadn't thought of there cos it's not that close - but probably best
bet!

AND the MOST expensive bet.

a fiver for a huge bag that will last probably five years... so not
too dear...

But it's done now!

If it was meant for pets, just make sure it has not been treated with
any chemicals.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 12:00:37 GMT, Baz wrote:

mogga wrote in
:

On Sun, 5 Jun 2011 08:15:33 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

"mogga" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Gloom ..... "You are doooooooooooooomed"

We have been using this for years and much to a few person's disgusts, "I"
am still here.

DON'T CROSS THE ROAD. YOU MIGHT GET KILLED.

:-(((

Doom and Gloom Merchants, don't you just love them?

Old 06-06-2011, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mogga wrote in
:

wrote:

"mogga" wrote in message
[...]

Hey thats not a bad price! Its alot more expensive here.

Baz
Old 06-06-2011, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 5 Jun 2011 18:48:57 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

"mogga" wrote in message
news:fu4ku6l11tkb1mbe7ibghm7l8bpbopl341@4ax. com...
[...]

There is a place in Switzerland for people like you. I'll even give
you the fare.