Old 04-06-2011, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cold greenhouse in the shade.

I am new to this group, I have a small garden in the West Midlands. I
have a greenhouse which I use to raise seedlings in the spring.
However in the summer it is shaded by neighbours trees, can anybody
suggest something that I could grow in it in the summer?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/06/2011 20:23, MikeC wrote:
I am new to this group, I have a small garden in the West Midlands. I
have a greenhouse which I use to raise seedlings in the spring.
However in the summer it is shaded by neighbours trees, can anybody
suggest something that I could grow in it in the summer?

Any tender, shade-loving plants. The sort of things garden centres sell
as house plants, such as alocasia and spathiphyllum. Have a look round,
but don't go for anything expensive unless you can keep it warm though
the winter!

--

Jeff
Old 04-06-2011, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/06/2011 20:23, MikeC wrote:
I am new to this group, I have a small garden in the West Midlands. I
have a greenhouse which I use to raise seedlings in the spring.
However in the summer it is shaded by neighbours trees, can anybody
suggest something that I could grow in it in the summer?

Give a cucumber a try - in a big pot at ground level. We get a good crop
in a plastic greenhouse on a north facing house wall.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MikeC" wrote ...

I am new to this group, I have a small garden in the West Midlands. I
have a greenhouse which I use to raise seedlings in the spring.
However in the summer it is shaded by neighbours trees, can anybody
suggest something that I could grow in it in the summer?

Depends on how shady, but our little N. facing lean-to greenhouse only gets
a bit of sun in the early morning and late afternoon and still grows lots of
things, at this time it's full of tuberous begonias. Fuschias would also do
OK.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 05-06-2011, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5 June, 15:21, Janet wrote:
"MikeC" *wrote ...

I am new to this group, I have a small garden in the West Midlands. I
have a greenhouse which I use to raise seedlings in the spring.
However in the summer it is shaded by neighbours trees, can anybody
suggest something that I could grow in it in the summer?

* Basil. You can never have too much basil:-)

* Janet

Thanks for the ideas, I will try some of each.