Old 07-06-2011, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pruning Question

Hi

I have a buddleja davidii that I want to keep to 4ft height, 3ft spread.

What pruning regime should I follow please?

Best regards,
Old 07-06-2011, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jun 7, 9:39*pm, Charlotte Grant wrote:
Hi

I have a buddleja davidii that I want to keep to 4ft height, 3ft spread.

What pruning regime should I follow please?

Best regards,

Dig it out.
There are some "Dwarf" fiorms that you will be able to keep to that
size, such as
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/flowe...EY4QodO yVktA
but Davidii will get a lot biger, I've had flowering spikes over 6ft
long on a mature bush
Old 07-06-2011, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 7 Jun 2011 14:11:44 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

On Jun 7, 9:39*pm, Charlotte Grant wrote:
I have a buddleja davidii that I want to keep to 4ft height, 3ft spread.
What pruning regime should I follow please?

but Davidii will get a lot biger, I've had flowering spikes over 6ft
long on a mature bush

Cut back very hard in the Autumn, and then again in spring, (first is
to stop the trunk splitting due to carrying too much weight and wind
rock.)
The second prune encourages new growth.

Mine is over thirty years old, (might be over 40 ) base is a
magnificent gnarled work of art, but I now I cut everything back to
where it begins to sprout, about a couple of feet up the trunk. It
will easily make 10ft high, side branches are cut back if they get in
the way during the summer.,

Then next spring its brought back to about 2ft high.

www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info
Old 08-06-2011, 07:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
On Jun 7, 9:39*pm, Charlotte Grant wrote:
I have a buddleja davidii that I want to keep to 4ft height, 3ft spread.
What pruning regime should I follow please?

but Davidii will get a lot biger, I've had flowering spikes over 6ft
long on a mature bush

Cut back very hard in the Autumn, and then again in spring, (first is
to stop the trunk splitting due to carrying too much weight and wind
rock.)
The second prune encourages new growth.

Mine is over thirty years old, (might be over 40 ) *base is a
magnificent gnarled work of art, but I now I cut everything back to
where it begins to sprout, about a couple of feet up the trunk. *It
will easily make 10ft high, side branches are cut back if they get in
the way during the summer.,

Then next spring its brought back to about 2ft high.

www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info

The above is right. We have lots of buddlea. That's the treatment we
use.
Prune after Winter frost is over to avoid new growth being damaged.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:09 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte Grant View Post
Hi

I have a buddleja davidii that I want to keep to 4ft height, 3ft spread.

What pruning regime should I follow please?
You can cut it back hard as you like in the winter, but the flowering shoots will still grow 6 to 8 feet long.

The only way to stop this is to cut the shoots during the growing season, in which case you won't get any flowers.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On Jun 7, 9:39*pm, Charlotte Grant wrote:
Hi

I have a buddleja davidii that I want to keep to 4ft height, 3ft spread.

What pruning regime should I follow please?

Best regards,

Dig it out.
There are some "Dwarf" fiorms that you will be able to keep to that
size, such as
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/flowe...EY4QodO yVktA
but Davidii will get a lot biger, I've had flowering spikes over 6ft
long on a mature bush

I bought some of these "buzz" plants earlier in the year to try. They
arrived as large plugs with about 2" of growth, maybe 2 or 3 stems,
above the compost. In the space of 6-8 weeks they have grown to about
a foot or so high and wide so they are fairly rapid growers. One plant
has already flowered and a second looks like it is about to. They're
currently in 12" tublets but I think they'll be going in the ground
shortly as they outgrow the tubs.
Jake
Old 10-06-2011, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Charlotte Grant
writes
Hi

I have a buddleja davidii that I want to keep to 4ft height, 3ft spread.

What pruning regime should I follow please?

Best regards,

Get alternifolia instead and train it to a single stem then all you need
to do is hack out every stem that flowers as the flowers die off after
flowering. Only about 5 foot high and spread.

Mine is heavily in flower as i type, Absolutely superb and smells of
honey, covered in bees. Might take a photograph!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy