Old 08-06-2011, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default effective microorganisms ?

Does anyone use "effective microorganisms" (I don't mean various
herbaceous teas, although I suppose these might qualify) in their
gardens, and to what effect? Specifically the EM-1 product.

Not sure as to the benefits are although there do seem to be a number of
studies now showing them. I buy young grafts from a guy in Boskoop who
swears by the stuff, and I must say his are about the healthiest -- and
have the lowest mortality rate -- of any I've seen.

-E
Old 08-06-2011, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote

Does anyone use "effective microorganisms" (I don't mean various
herbaceous teas, although I suppose these might qualify) in their
gardens, and to what effect? Specifically the EM-1 product.

Not sure as to the benefits are although there do seem to be a number of
studies now showing them. I buy young grafts from a guy in Boskoop who
swears by the stuff, and I must say his are about the healthiest -- and
have the lowest mortality rate -- of any I've seen.

Yes I've used it (see link below) and although I have used it on the garden
and in the rain barrels I mainly use it for my pond, specifically the
biological filters. Whilst I can't say what it does for the soil, not yet
having tried in on the allotment, I can say it makes a significant
difference to a filtered pond. Any muck clumps up so is easy to remove both
from the pond and the filters, the filters stay cleaner, the water stays
clearer, the fish look better/healthier, the improvement is noticeable.
http://www.recycleworks.co.uk/em-gar...-pr-16177.html
One thing, the little yellow heated plastic yoghurt maker broke after just a
few goes but I find a heated propagator works just as well.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 08-06-2011, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote ...

"Bob Hobden"wrote:

"Emery Davis" wrote

[...]

How do you use it in the pond? Do you just add the concentrate from
the yoghurt activator direct to the pond, or do you use the 'mud
balls' or the 'Pond Magic', that they also sell? Presumably once
you've got the initial batch of EM from the supplier, you can just
keep creating more in the activator, just as you can with yoghurt,
without actually buying any more.

I just pour about a glass full in the pond, nothing scientific. Having not
yet run out of the initial stuff I don't know about it being self
perpetuating but I can't see why not. As long as you can find something for
it to eat to bulk up (dilute black treacle perhaps**) then it should work.
** They sell Molasses to feed the culture.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 09-06-2011, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

HI Emery,

Hope you are well,

Interesting questions you have raised and some that as a company we
are running a campaign on 'Bringing Soil Life Back to British Gardens'

The use of microorganisms, applied in different ways is highly
beneficial to all plants, grass and vegetables.

We concentrate on two main areas of adding soil biology to your soil:
One is using Beneficial Mycorrhizal Fungi and Compost Teas

Mycorrhizal Fungi - Mycorrhizae (it means fungus root) are a group of
about 400 fungi that form symbiotic relationships with plants. They
live in or on the roots, extend their hyphae into the soil and make
phosphate, nitrogen other nutrients and water available to the host
plant. They extend the effective root area many hundreds of times so
plants grow faster, larger and stronger with less fertiliser and
water.

Mycorrhizal fungi gives your plants the Mycorrhizal Advantage that can
double the growth rates of young plants. Potting compost, fallow soil
and nursery plants raised on fertiliser and fungicides do not contain
essential mycorrhizae.

For more info have a look at www.symbio.co.uk/mycorrhizae

COMPOST TEAS - Compost teas introduce life into sterile soils and
growing media. Soil, even when mixed with green waste compost, is by
its very nature low in microbial activity. Soils left fallow for
several months loose the nutrients from the plants that support a
healthy mix of bacteria, fungi, protozoa, nematodes and arthropods
essential for nutrient recycling, disease suppression and soil
friability.

When a Compost Tea is brewed, the process of brewing strips the good
microorganisms such as bacteria, fungi, protozoa, nematodes and
arthropods from the compost that is added to the tea. When when
nutrients is added are also added into the tea mix, these good
microrganisms rapidly multiply over a 24 hour brewing period. Once the
brew is finished the compost tea mix is then decanted and applied as
either a foliar or soil drench to your flowers fruits and vegetables.
As the good microrganisms are suspended in the compost tea mix they
are quickly absorbed into the soil and the microrganisms benefits are
very noticeable.

For more please look at www.symbio.co.uk/compostteas

Old 09-06-2011, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/08/2011 11:53 PM, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Chris Hogg" wrote ...

"Bob Hobden"wrote:

"Emery Davis" wrote

[...]

Thanks Bob. I'll definitely be giving EM a try, but probably just the
straight EM-1 bought directly to start. There's also an EM-5 which is
advertised to keep bugs off, but given the price I suppose I'll give
that the miss for now.

I think you can use any molasses in the brewers, though maybe not Golden
Syrup...

As it is rather the fashion in some circles now, I'm a bit surprised no
one else has chimed in.

-E

Old 09-06-2011, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/09/2011 11:49 AM, Symbio Symbio wrote:
The use of microorganisms, applied in different ways is highly
beneficial to all plants, grass and vegetables.

We concentrate on two main areas of adding soil biology to your soil:
One is using Beneficial Mycorrhizal Fungi and Compost Teas

Well, those are some pretty pricey brewers, I must say. You'd need to
have a pretty big operation to justify those sorts of costs. Also this
doesn't seem to be EM in the strict sense of Dr. Higa's work, not that I
am disputing the benefits of compost teas generally.

As for mycorrhizae, the benefits are very well documented and indeed I
am looking for a UK supplier as the products are very difficult to get
in France. I grow principally maples which require endo (as your site
correctly points out, well done). I have a couple of questions.

First, can you ship to the continent.

Is there a way to treat trees in the ground, i.e. watering in.

I am considering a late season foliar application of Fostyl-Al (Aliette)
on both seedlings and established plants as there is some evidence that
this chemical controls ice born pseudomonas syringae infections. It is
being used to augment first winter survival rates in particular. However
I am concerned it may have a negative effect on beneficial mycchorizal
populations. Your opinion?

Thanks,

-E

P.S. Advertising is discouraged here. I found your post useful, but
attaching a name rather than a company to it might make it more
palatable to others.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 June, 14:03, Emery Davis wrote:
[...]

Emery

I hope you are well,

I did not mean to offend..

Many Thanks

Dan
Old 10-06-2011, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/10/2011 10:20 AM, Symbio Symbio wrote:
[...]

Dan,

I am well, and wish the same for you. You did not offend (me anyway)
but I though it worth warning that if you are perceived as spamming you
will likely get a difficult reception.

As I said, I am looking for a source for endo, so I will be interested
in hearing your responses to my questions.

I am also interested in who in the group uses mycchorizae as a soil
conditioner (good) or growth booster (generally bad).

Thanks,

-E