Old 11-06-2011, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Disappearing Cherries

Ok so the few cherries I left on the two trees have disappeared. Now I know
the birds will go for them but don't they usually leave you the stalk with
the stone attached? No stalk or stone anywhere near the trees so have we got
two legged cherry eaters helping themselves?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 12-06-2011, 07:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 11, 6:42*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
Ok so the few cherries I left on the two trees have disappeared. Now I know
the birds will go for them but don't they usually leave you the stalk with
the stone attached? No stalk or stone anywhere near the trees so have we got
two legged cherry eaters helping themselves?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

We have several cherry trees and never get a cherry, it's the birds.
They swallow the whole thing.
They usually wait until the day before you were going to pick them/net
them though!
Old 12-06-2011, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote ..

"Bob Hobden" wrote:
Ok so the few cherries I left on the two trees have disappeared. Now I
know
the birds will go for them but don't they usually leave you the stalk
with
the stone attached? No stalk or stone anywhere near the trees so have we
got
two legged cherry eaters helping themselves?

We have several cherry trees and never get a cherry, it's the birds.
They swallow the whole thing.
They usually wait until the day before you were going to pick them/net
them though!

But don't they leave the stalk behind?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 12-06-2011, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

Ok so the few cherries I left on the two trees have disappeared. Now I
know the birds will go for them but don't they usually leave you the
stalk with the stone attached? No stalk or stone anywhere near the
trees so have we got two legged cherry eaters helping themselves?

You are not alone, Bob.
We had our first few cherries last year and they never got touched.
This year they have all gone witout a trace.
My 2 trees are only 6 or 7ft tall, so it could be 2 legged cherry eaters.
I was really looking forward to a few cherries this year. Last years few
were SO succulent and was thinking that in the future years we would have a
nice little supply. Nothing is easy is it!

What I am thinking now, as ours are small is to erect a cage around them
and prune heavily every year so as to contain them.

Seems that everything in the garden has to be covered these days.

Baz
Old 12-06-2011, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 18:42:14 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Ok so the few cherries I left on the two trees have disappeared. Now I know
the birds will go for them but don't they usually leave you the stalk with
the stone attached? No stalk or stone anywhere near the trees so have we got
two legged cherry eaters helping themselves?

A friend of mine reckons her tree has so few friut this year because
of the drought. Can this be so?

Pam in Bristol

Old 12-06-2011, 01:52 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
"harry" wrote ..

"Bob Hobden" wrote:
Ok so the few cherries I left on the two trees have disappeared. Now I
know
the birds will go for them but don't they usually leave you the stalk
with
the stone attached? No stalk or stone anywhere near the trees so have we
got
two legged cherry eaters helping themselves?

We have several cherry trees and never get a cherry, it's the birds.
They swallow the whole thing.
They usually wait until the day before you were going to pick them/net
them though!

But don't they leave the stalk behind?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK
They don't on my wild cherry
__________________
Old 12-06-2011, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Ok so the few cherries I left on the two trees have disappeared. Now I know
the birds will go for them but don't they usually leave you the stalk with
the stone attached? No stalk or stone anywhere near the trees so have we got
two legged cherry eaters helping themselves?

A friend of mine reckons her tree has so few friut this year because
of the drought. *Can this be so?

Pam in Bristol

It's possible - but the disappearing cherries could be squirrels. At
work we had to resort to replacing the plastic netting on the cage by
wire netting. The trees are on 'Colt' rootstock but the cage is still
huge and the trees get through it and have to be pruned more than we
would like. If I were starting again there is a better rootstock
available 'Giselle' which is dwarfer and makes fan training on a wall
a more reasonable proposition and protection much easier.

Rod
Old 12-06-2011, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rod" wrote ...

, Pam Moorewrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

[...]

Both ours are on Giselle rootstock. Funny thing was I don't think Brogdale
wanted to sell us Lapins Cherokee on that rootstock for planting in the
ground, only for a pot, I had to persuade them we had good enough soil. The
other, Summer Sun, we bought from Blackmoor Nursery without a problem.
Wanted that rootstock because as I'm getting older I don't want to be
climbing ladders to cover them with netting or picking the fruit and
although Colt is a dwarfing rootstock the trees will still get too big for
us.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden