Old 12-06-2011, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lettuce stump propagation

Yesterday morning I lifted a lettuce, on passing the compost heap (ouch) I
dropped off the rough outers and the chopped stump.

I guy on a neighbouring allotment, showed me his experiment with lettuces.
In addition to sowing fresh seed for continuity, he is also propagating by
leaving the old stump in the ground. The taller plants, furthest from the
camera, are his earliest cuttings:-
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...e/IMG_2227.jpg

As you can see, new leaves are sprouting from the East side of the stump:-
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...e/IMG_2226.jpg

Q. Has anyone else tried this? Did the lettuce run-to-seed, become exhausted
or form perfect plants? This particular variety is 'Little Gem'
I guess only time will tell - I'll report back later in the season if
un/successful. TIA
Bertie

Old 12-06-2011, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message ...

Very interesting!
I do the same with cabbages and cauli and always have "spring greens",
later in the year, almost as good as the real thing. A good thing if you
have a small garden. A very good source of vitamins in all cases when the
outer leaves of a cabbage or cauli has toughened up and can't use. Just go
back and use some previously cropped ones which have restarted a bit of
growth.

BTW Little Gem is my choice too and can never get them to coincide with my
toms, beetroot or cucumber, garlic(the salad I like)

Baz

Thanks for that Baz. When you leave a stump of cabbage or cauli, do you
leave an old leaf on the stump?

With lettuce, may neighbour leaves a clean cut. TIA

Bertie

Old 12-06-2011, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jun 12, 2:42*pm, "Bertie Doe" wrote:
"Baz" *wrote in ...
Very interesting!
I do the same with cabbages and cauli and always have "spring greens",
later in the year, almost as good as the real thing. A good thing if you
have a small garden. A very good source of vitamins in all cases when the
outer leaves of a cabbage or cauli has toughened up and can't use. Just go
back and use some previously cropped ones which have restarted a bit of
growth.
BTW Little Gem is my choice too and can never get them to coincide with my
toms, beetroot or cucumber, garlic(the salad I like)
Baz

Thanks for that Baz. When you leave a stump of cabbage or cauli, do you
leave an old leaf on the stump?

With lettuce, may neighbour leaves a clean cut. TIA

Bertie

With cabbage you clean the stump and cut a cross in the top this helps
to direct to the top buds, you will get greens, but if you leave then
you will only get flowering stems, the same with lettuce, you will
never get a lettuce that will heart from side shoots.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Dave, I'll pass the news to my neighbour.

Old 13-06-2011, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote in
:

With cabbage you clean the stump and cut a cross in the top this helps
to direct to the top buds, you will get greens, but if you leave then
you will only get flowering stems, the same with lettuce, you will
never get a lettuce that will heart from side shoots.

Dave,
You don't have to be so meticulous as to clean the stump and cut a cross.
Stamp the stump with your heel after harvesting a cabbage or cauli or any
bras. and you prompt the roots to give energy to regrowth of foliage.
Not a criticism.
I have done neither in the past, just dug up the one I want and severed the
thing, thrown the root to one side and still they grow for a couple of
weeks.

As I said not criticising.

Baz