Old 22-06-2011, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Raspberry cuttings

I've tried taking a few.from green side shoots over a month ago. They've
all calloused well,and still look healthy but so far none of these have
rooted. Anyone tried this and had success.
Old 22-06-2011, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Frank
writes
I've tried taking a few.from green side shoots over a month ago.
They've all calloused well,and still look healthy but so far none of
these have rooted. Anyone tried this and had success.

Regardless of whether raspberries can be propagated by cuttings, they
can easily be propagated by division - dig them up in the autumn and
split the rhizomes.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 23-06-2011, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Frank" wrote in message
o.uk...
I've tried taking a few.from green side shoots over a month ago. They've
all calloused well,and still look healthy but so far none of these have
rooted. Anyone tried this and had success.

I am struggling to work out why you are doing cuttings? they are so easy
from root divisions, particularly the autumn varieties.
Raspberry cuttings run serious risks of transmitting various cane diseases
including viruses, we always burn raspberry pruning's whilst nearly
everything else goes through the shredder.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 23-06-2011, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 08:42:52 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

"Frank" wrote in message
news:2ZKdnZekeNOXtp_TnZ2dnUVZ8hudnZ2d@brightview. co.uk...
I've tried taking a few.from green side shoots over a month ago. They've
all calloused well,and still look healthy but so far none of these have
rooted. Anyone tried this and had success.

I am struggling to work out why you are doing cuttings? they are so easy
from root divisions, particularly the autumn varieties.

Indeed I have a lawn full of them.

http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 23-06-2011, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Frank" wrote in message
o.uk...
I've tried taking a few.from green side shoots over a month ago. They've
all calloused well,and still look healthy but so far none of these have
rooted. Anyone tried this and had success.

I started with one Raspberry plant, it did well last year
and started sending runners all around.
I didn't want them there so I dug them up and replanted
them in a place that I wanted more plants.
Eight so far and all doing well.

Wally

Old 23-06-2011, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mogga wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 08:42:52 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

wrote in message
o.uk...
I've tried taking a few.from green side shoots over a month ago. They've
all calloused well,and still look healthy but so far none of these have
rooted. Anyone tried this and had success.

I am struggling to work out why you are doing cuttings? they are so easy
from root divisions, particularly the autumn varieties.

Indeed I have a lawn full of them.

Raspberry cuttings run serious risks of transmitting various cane diseases
including viruses, we always burn raspberry pruning's whilst nearly
everything else goes through the shredder.

So nobody's attempted softwood cuttings, then? As for virus
transmission, surely it makes no difference what method of propagation
you use as a virus will affect the whole plant regardless of which part
of it you use for propagation. Stem cuttings are no more likely to be a
source of viral transmission than root division.

Why I attempted stem cuttings is that I bought new plants last autumn
which I had pruned in early spring. I planted the prunings in soil and
their buds began to shoot I thought when theese were 2 inches long that
I could get extra plants early on from these shoots which would fruit by
next year if they would root promptly. All the cuttings I look are still
alive, healthy and have callused, but so far no roots
Old 24-06-2011, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Frank" wrote in message
mogga wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 08:42:52 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

I would still not plant any cuttings produced plants whether or not they can
produce roots, there really is too high a risk you will end up with major
problems, and yes some viruses can effect just stems as can some
pest/parasite problems and many diseases. Cane fruit is so prone to problems
that I think it is still the case you need a certification of clean stock
from Defra to sell it officially.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Rock elm cuttings no go, but sour cherry cuttings are going [email protected] Plant Science 0 15-08-2008 07:15 AM
babba raspberry Alan Edible Gardening 6 05-03-2003 06:17 AM
Raspberry Bushes Dessy Edible Gardening 3 24-02-2003 01:03 PM
Raspberry canes John Cotterill United Kingdom 1 14-01-2003 10:24 PM
Moving raspberry canes Jo United Kingdom 2 24-11-2002 01:35 PM