Old 27-06-2011, 07:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mc Culloch lawn mower?

I have put this on DIY but obviously they are not gardeners as such.

I have had three lawn mowers bit the dust in the last month. My old Mount
field has sprung a leak on its petrol tank ( 15 years old , so I wont
grumble). I borrowed a cheap Champion from my mother and that has blown up
under the strain and my trusty 16 inch cut Trojan ( more than 20 years
old) is still going at it but bits fall off here and there because its
rusted out.

So I need a new ( and not to break the bank) one. It also needs to be light
enough for me to use ( I am not that strong, having had pneumonia and a weak
chest).
I have seen the
McCulloch M53-675CMDW 190cc B and S Engine 53cm Cut Petrol Self Propelled
Lawn Mower

Does anyone have one? Is it OK for a largish, not very even piece of grass
that passes for a lawn with trees and shrubs around it. ( about 1/3 of an
acre) £400 is my limit for this, so cant be too fancy and it has to be
available for someone who doesn't live near London or the home counties - so
on the internet. B&Q and such are not very helpful here because I have to
have a 53 cm cut ( experience tells me) minimum.

I could do with getting a gardener in but no one will touch it ( that tells
you a bit about the state of my situation outside my greenhouses , which are
operating.

Thanks for advice.

Old 27-06-2011, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message
[...]

Should also mention I am in deepest Cornwall. Things are so bad even the
young farmers draw the line and mowing my lawns.

Old 27-06-2011, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Leaking petrol tank doesn't sound terminal, and the old Mountfields were
generally good beasts.
I presume it is one of the aluminium ones.
Have you obtained a quote for a service and replacement of the tank?
Could be significantly less than the £400 you are planning on spending.

Also, have you considered hiring something industrial just to do the first
cut and get the whole place under control and take the strain off the more
domestic lawn mower?

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 27-06-2011, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

[...]

No, No and No. Please don't ask why. I have a husband who wont let anyone
near the house. I cant hire. Even getting a gardener had to be done when
he was asleep. I don't have a car big enough to go to the store with the
old mower and if I have to wait for OH to take it/ help me, it will be
forever. That's why the garden is as it is.

Short explanation - just please accept it as I say. I don't want to go into
detail as to why he is like he is.

Does anyone know about this mower?

Old 27-06-2011, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message

No, No and No. Please don't ask why. I have a husband who wont let anyone
near the house. I cant hire. Even getting a gardener had to be done when
he was asleep. I don't have a car big enough to go to the store with the
old mower and if I have to wait for OH to take it/ help me, it will be
forever. That's why the garden is as it is.

Short explanation - just please accept it as I say. I don't want to go
into detail as to why he is like he is.

Does anyone know about this mower?

Obviously no one has experience of this mower. Well I have bought it now. I
have to get the garden sorted and I cant hang on it any longer. I will (
maybe) in due course let you know what it is like.

Old 27-06-2011, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message

No, No and No. Please don't ask why. I have a husband who wont let anyone
near the house. I cant hire. Even getting a gardener had to be done
when he was asleep. I don't have a car big enough to go to the store
with the old mower and if I have to wait for OH to take it/ help me, it
will be forever. That's why the garden is as it is.

Short explanation - just please accept it as I say. I don't want to go
into detail as to why he is like he is.

Does anyone know about this mower?

Obviously no one has experience of this mower. Well I have bought it now.
I have to get the garden sorted and I cant hang on it any longer. I will
( maybe) in due course let you know what it is like.

That would be useful to know as my old Champion will eventually fall apart
and need replacing!

If your grass is very long start with the blades as high as possible, you
might need 2 or 3 goes to get it to lawn length, beware of unexpected
objects in the grass

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs