Old 29-06-2011, 11:48 PM
Registered User

Question I think I planted this but I dont know what it is!

Hi, I am new to the forum.
I think I planted this but I don't know what it is?
I have a vague memory of planting something in front of the pear tree. Its in entirely the wrong place, the memory I have is that I put it there temporarily ( and forgot about it). If I sound a little vacant its because my work has been horrendous this past year and my garden has got overgrown. Fortunately I am now taking semi retirement, and am clearing the jungle. Now its likely its some sort of herb, I tend to only plant useful plants, either herbs, things that look beautiful ( like David Austen roses) or vegetables. As it doesn't look edible and is certainly not beautiful, then I suspect it has some medicinal or natural dyeing value! I have spent ages on the net trying to find it. I thought at first it was Great Mullein but its not furry. Its very tall, I had to crop the pic to upload it. I have seen it growing wild,I know its literally common-all-garden..... can anyone help? Its driving me bonkers.
Thanks
Pam
Attached Thumbnails
I think I planted this but I dont know what it is!-mystery-%5Blant.jpg
Old 30-06-2011, 07:54 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootycat View Post
Hi, I am new to the forum.
[...]
Evening primrose, Oenothera?
__________________
Old 30-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
Evening primrose, Oenothera?
Really? Sounds plausible, I will look it up...............its very tall......

Thanks

Pam
Old 30-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootycat View Post
Really? Sounds plausible, I will look it up...............its very tall......

Thanks

Pam
It looks very similar, it would make sense because I keep bees. I see its a biennial. I would want to move it somewhere sensible and for it to self seed. Does it do this easily?
Thanks

Pam
Old 30-06-2011, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I think I planted this but I dont know what it is!

"kay" wrote in message

Snootycat;928505 Wrote:
Hi, I am new to the forum.
[...]

Agree

Old 01-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Registered User

Smile

I am very grateful, I had spent hours trying to look it up. I had gone to several of those 'identify a plant site' but they seemed to require quite a bit of knowledge. I always thought Evening Primrose was small! Probably because of the name.

Pam
Old 02-07-2011, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Snootycat
writes
I am very grateful, I had spent hours trying to look it up. I had gone
to several of those 'identify a plant site' but they seemed to require
quite a bit of knowledge. I always thought Evening Primrose was small!
Probably because of the name.

Pam

Self seeds everywhere, may have blown in from another garden. I thought
they were annuals but there are some very choice varieties. Smell lovely
in evening
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 02-07-2011, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Snootycat
writes
I am very grateful, I had spent hours trying to look it up. I had gone
to several of those 'identify a plant site' but they seemed to require
quite a bit of knowledge. I always thought Evening Primrose was small!
Probably because of the name.

Pam

Self seeds everywhere, may have blown in from another garden. I thought
they were annuals but there are some very choice varieties. Smell
lovely in evening

The tall yellow-flowered evening primroses are usually biennials.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 03-07-2011, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
The tall yellow-flowered evening primroses are usually biennials.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Sorry Stewart, of course they are.