Old 04-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Registered User

Default Bog garden?

Has anyone constructed a bog garden and been successful? Any tips? We have an area of ground which tends to be a bit damp (although not actually boggy). I was thinking of surrounding it with willow for shelter, which I would cut down regularly to create bright winter stems, and then putting a perforated pond liner sheet into a hole to make a good boggy bit. I like the idea of planting a willow bower to sit in too.

What construction tips do you have? What have been your easiest plants? I'm in Fife, five miles from the coast, on (I assume) somewhat acidic soil. The proposed bog garden site is at least forty yards from the house, so the willows are not a problem.

Thanks

Laura
Old 05-07-2011, 06:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
Laura Corin

I have a bog garden of sorts. You need lots more water than you
might think.
A constant source in fact.
Trees and plants use up the water & if it's not replenished the bog
ones then die. Willow trees would be especially good at this I would
think, so plant outside the liner.
Why would you need holes in your liner? Just lets the water escape.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Laura Corin" wrote in message

Has anyone constructed a bog garden and been successful? Any tips? We
have an area of ground which tends to be a bit damp (although not
actually boggy). I was thinking of surrounding it with willow for
shelter, which I would cut down regularly to create bright winter stems,
and then putting a perforated pond liner sheet into a hole to make a
good boggy bit. I like the idea of planting a willow bower to sit in
too.

What construction tips do you have? What have been your easiest plants?
I'm in Fife, five miles from the coast, on (I assume) somewhat acidic
soil. The proposed bog garden site is at least forty yards from the
house, so the willows are not a problem.

Thanks

Laura

Don't plant willow near water unless you have water to spare, they will grab
the lot, in fact they are excellent if you have wet ground and want it
drier. Dogwoods would be better for stem colour but even they will drink a
lot

Also before doing a willow bower (I assume you mean a living one?) take a
look at one, the new growth grows straight up and for me ruins the effect,
they look great in winter and just after pruning but the rest of the time 6'
of vertical growth looks silly. This I admit may prove a minority opinion
but at least be sure you don't mind the effect (its your garden not mine)
before going to the trouble

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 05-07-2011, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jul 5, 8:53*am, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:
[...]

and Lapageria rosea cvshttp://www.roselandhouse.co.uk- Hide quoted text -

DON'T put in a liner.
I did that, and the only plants that were suffering from drought were
the ones in the Bog garden, they couldn't get their roots down to the
natural moisture.
Add extra (dare I say it?) Peat and I'd add a load of awater-
retaining polymer as well to help cope with dry weather.

Bog garden Richard Holub Ponds 38 06-03-2004 04:28 AM
Bog Garden: Episode II BenignVanilla Ponds 28 04-03-2004 10:37 AM
bog garden liner Richard Holub Ponds (alternative) 2 01-03-2004 01:32 AM
Bog garden Muriel Ponds 1 20-01-2004 06:02 AM
Problem Area - Bog Garden? Bot Grl Gardening 9 24-02-2003 02:51 AM