Old 14-07-2011, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A Little TV Reminder

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 17:12:41 +0100, Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:

This Wednesday - 13th! - , Channel 5, 7.30 pm. Garden ER. Start of
8-week series.

Looking forward to the discussion on Thursday!

Silence!
Did nobody watch it or is everyone so shocked they don't know what to
say.
I have never seen anyone on TV tell us to go and steal from shops.
The presenter told us to go into coffee shops and take the "free"
sugar to use as a feed for plants, and the stirring sticks to use as
plant markers.
Aren't you glad that you don't live next to the garden with the
hot-tub and the canvas beach views on the fences.
The pond face-lift was the only interesting feature.

Pam in Bristol
Old 14-07-2011, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-07-14 12:47:40 +0100, Pam Moore said:

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 17:12:41 +0100, Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:

This Wednesday - 13th! - , Channel 5, 7.30 pm. Garden ER. Start of
8-week series.

Looking forward to the discussion on Thursday!

Silence!
Did nobody watch it or is everyone so shocked they don't know what to
say.
I have never seen anyone on TV tell us to go and steal from shops.
The presenter told us to go into coffee shops and take the "free"
sugar to use as a feed for plants, and the stirring sticks to use as
plant markers.
Aren't you glad that you don't live next to the garden with the
hot-tub and the canvas beach views on the fences.
The pond face-lift was the only interesting feature.

Pam in Bristol

I thought it was a tired hotch-potch of every other low-budget, red-top
gardening programme I've seen over the years. But it is designed to
appeal to non-gardeners/maintainers, so perhaps it does. Ground Force
was lambasted by the gardening snobs but it helped the gardening
industry to grow to a record size - and that benefits the snobs too in
the end.

Old 14-07-2011, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-07-14 12:47:40 +0100, Pam Moore said:

[...]

What a wonderful expression. That is why I have been 'praised?' for taking
the 'po-faced' out of urg.

Kindest regards

Mike

Old 14-07-2011, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/07/2011 12:47, Pam Moore wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 17:12:41 +0100, JakeNospam@invalid wrote:

This Wednesday - 13th! - , Channel 5, 7.30 pm. Garden ER. Start of
8-week series.

Looking forward to the discussion on Thursday!

Silence!
Did nobody watch it or is everyone so shocked they don't know what to
say.
I have never seen anyone on TV tell us to go and steal from shops.
The presenter told us to go into coffee shops and take the "free"
sugar to use as a feed for plants, and the stirring sticks to use as
plant markers.
Aren't you glad that you don't live next to the garden with the
hot-tub and the canvas beach views on the fences.
The pond face-lift was the only interesting feature.

Pam in Bristol

I watched it, Pam, with a sort of fascinated horror. As you say, the
pond was the only thing of real interest.

If that's a sample of £7.5K garden, I don't want to see the £500 garden.
I think I would cry if I came home to my garden and saw that mess.
Mind you, I wouldn't cry for long; I'd be calling my solicitor before
you had time to say "bucket".:-|

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 15-07-2011, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:

If that's a sample of £7.5K garden, I don't want to see the £500 garden.
I think I would cry if I came home to my garden and saw that mess.
Mind you, I wouldn't cry for long; I'd be calling my solicitor before
you had time to say "bucket".:-|

I think the time to speak to your solicitor would have been
before you signed away all your rights in return for a makeover.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Old 15-07-2011, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/07/2011 08:35, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Spider wrote:

If that's a sample of £7.5K garden, I don't want to see the £500 garden.
I think I would cry if I came home to my garden and saw that mess.
Mind you, I wouldn't cry for long; I'd be calling my solicitor before
you had time to say "bucket".:-|

I think the time to speak to your solicitor would have been
before you signed away all your rights in return for a makeover.

Chris

Yes, you're quite right! One can only supply the 'guinea pig' garden
owners are either desperate or stupid. Perhaps 'fame' is the spur?

Old 18-07-2011, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Pam Moore
writes
Aren't you glad that you don't live next to the garden with the
hot-tub and the canvas beach views on the fences.
The pond face-lift was the only interesting feature.

Pam in Bristol

Poor blinking people next door it'll be fun to see what the ER team do
with THEIR garden if they intend to give all the gardens a makeover.
They now have presumably 15 foot fencing around a very blank tiny
garden.

As for the makeover Where were the plants and garden? It was completely
overwhelmed by the very expensive hottub. Hope they don't have drought
restrictions ...

The poor couple did not at any stage say they wanted a holiday garden
they just said that they had given up their holiday for the house, NOT
the same thing at all and the presenter seems to be on something potent
for all the unnecessary emphasising and showy energy he seems to be
exhibiting.
Bonnie davies is the youngest sister of the team that run Davies
brothers nursery over near Iver, very good for plug plants etc, suppose
she was chosen for her gardening talents and not because she is in her
early 20's and blonde?

I thought telling the viewers to pinch the sugar from Costa coffee was a
bit much, I assumed he was going to recommend asking for the coffee
grounds which he never mentioned at all!!

I thought the pond thing was quite interesting but not sure you have to
wade in to get the plants in. They didn't look that good when she'd
finished though she was nabbed for the programme at Chelsea as she
designed partly the literary garden with poems all over the place etc.
in the small garden part.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 31-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Registered User

[...]

Dalmatian Telegraph - UK[/quote]

I have very much enjoyed the last three episodes of Garden ER. The program really opens gardening up to those who know very little about it.

I doubt very much that Bonnie Davies was only chosen to present the program solely due to her looks & age.

If you check I think you'll find that Bonnie had a large imput in creating 'A Literary Garden' at this year's Chelsea Flower. She also designed and built the 'Food for Thought' garden at last year's Hampton Court Flower Show. For both of these gardens she won a Silver Gilt. To have gained such awards at the age of 21 is quite an achievement.

Therefore I feel she is perfectly placed to present this program & wish her the best of luck with her exciting future.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:59 AM
Registered User

Thumbs up

I have very much enjoyed the last three episodes of Garden ER. The program really opens gardening up to those who know very little about it.

I doubt very much that Bonnie Davies was only chosen to present the program solely due to her looks & age.

If you check I think you'll find that Bonnie had a large imput in creating 'A Literary Garden' at this year's Chelsea Flower. She also designed and built the 'Food for Thought' garden at last year's Hampton Court Flower Show. For both of these gardens she won a Silver Gilt. To have gained such awards at the age of 21 is quite an achievement.

Therefore I feel she is perfectly placed to present this program & wish her the best of luck with her exciting future
.

Reminder: Tallahassee Orchid Show this weekend Prem Subrahmanyam Gardening 0 09-04-2003 09:32 PM
Reminder: Tallahassee Orchid Show this weekend Prem Subrahmanyam Orchids 0 09-04-2003 09:20 PM
West Papua reminder Daeron Orchids 0 20-03-2003 11:32 AM
[IBC] A reminder to snip Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 07-02-2003 11:59 PM
[IBC] RE a reminder to snip Ben Griffin Bonsai 1 07-02-2003 11:56 PM