Old 22-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Registered User

Unhappy plum tree

I have a new plum tree (this year ) and the leaves are becoming pale, cannot find any aphids and it does not look like peach leaf curl,any ideas?
Old 23-07-2011, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default plum tree

--
marigold

Water it. Lotsofwater. (These showers don't penetrate the ground very
far).
Old 23-07-2011, 11:36 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold View Post
I have a new plum tree (this year ) and the leaves are becoming pale, cannot find any aphids and it does not look like peach leaf curl,any ideas?
It sounds like a nutrient deficiency. An aphid infestation heavy enough to upset the plant would cause at least some of the leaves to crumple.

If you've only recently planted it, the roots are still settling and maybe not being very efficient. I wouldn't use any fertiliser on it until you've established that it's getting plenty of water. Don't just rely on the top surface being wet - it's easy to water and soak the top inch or so, and still have dry soil underneath.

It's not going to die on you suddenly so don't panic - you've got time to try first, more water, and if that doesn't work, some fertiliser.

Meanwhile - can you tell us more about the pale leaves? Is it all of them, or are the new leaves still dark green? Is it the whole leaf, or are the veins dark green with yellow bits between?
__________________
Old 23-07-2011, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jul 23, 11:36*am, kay wrote:
marigold;930748 Wrote:

[...]

If you want to you could use a weak liquid feed in the water you give
it, but when you water use a bucket and give it 2 or 3 buckets full,
applied slowley so it soaks in to the ground close to the tree.

Old 26-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Registered User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post
On Jul 23, 11:36*am, kay wrote:
marigold;930748 Wrote:

[...]

Thanks all,the leaves seem to be fairly uniform in their colour loss,no prominent veins and all of the leaves were new and they have all discoloured,I will try the heavy watering even though I think I have been carefull not to let it get dry.
What feed would you recommend?
Old 27-07-2011, 11:47 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold View Post
Thanks all,the leaves seem to be fairly uniform in their colour loss,no prominent veins and all of the leaves were new and they have all discoloured,I will try the heavy watering even though I think I have been carefull not to let it get dry.
What feed would you recommend?
Have you tried digging into the ground with a twig or a finger a few inches? Sometimes you will find the top half inch wet where you've watered it, but the ground underneath dry - I've been gardening for years, and I still get caught out!

Unless you have had rainfall of at least 1.5cm within the last few days, every week put a full 2gal watering can of water on to the square foot of ground around the plum. You may need to do this twice or 3 times a week if you're having hot sunny days.

Actually - how do you know they have discoloured? Do you have some darker leaves to compare them with? And remember that new growth is always lighter green than older growth.
__________________
Old 27-07-2011, 10:20 PM
Registered User

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
Have you tried digging into the ground with a twig or a finger a few inches? Sometimes you will find the top half inch wet where you've watered it, but the ground underneath dry - I've been gardening for years, and I still get caught out!

Unless you have had rainfall of at least 1.5cm within the last few days, every week put a full 2gal watering can of water on to the square foot of ground around the plum. You may need to do this twice or 3 times a week if you're having hot sunny days.

Actually - how do you know they have discoloured? Do you have some darker leaves to compare them with? And remember that new growth is always lighter green than older growth.
Will try digging a few inches down to see if the soil is damp(or not),and the leaves were darker green when they first appeared,they look sickly and have started to curl upwards.The tree is on my allotment and has some courgettes and toms planted around it,but nothing within a square foot and they are thriving.
Old 28-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold View Post
Will try digging a few inches down to see if the soil is damp(or not),and the leaves were darker green when they first appeared,they look sickly and have started to curl upwards.The tree is on my allotment and has some courgettes and toms planted around it,but nothing within a square foot and they are thriving.
If it was a container grown plant, and became rootbound, and you did not tease out the roots, it is very difficult for water to get into the rootball, and very difficult for roots to get out of the rootball into the surrounding soil to find water. Except for a few plants that hate their roots being interfered with, it is essential to tease out the roots of container grown plants when planting them out. Even knowing this, I've still had plants die on me because they remained rootbound because I didn't tease out the roots thoroughly enough.
Old 28-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
If it was a container grown plant, and became rootbound, and you did not tease out the roots, it is very difficult for water to get into the rootball, and very difficult for roots to get out of the rootball into the surrounding soil to find water. Except for a few plants that hate their roots being interfered with, it is essential to tease out the roots of container grown plants when planting them out. Even knowing this, I've still had plants die on me because they remained rootbound because I didn't tease out the roots thoroughly enough.
Thanks,I did tease out the roots but maybe not well enough.Still hoping I can save it.