Old 23-07-2011, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sheen flame gun

We discussed these a while back, just had mine going to zap some.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RMe6bh-zW8
Only a phone video but shows it works.

Mike

Old 23-07-2011, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , MuddyMike
writes
We discussed these a while back, just had mine going to zap some.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RMe6bh-zW8
Only a phone video but shows it works.

Mike

Yes, they are good ! Some people seem to think you have to incinerate
the plants but actually passing the gun over them and moving on seems to
do the trick. Fabulous for clearing around the darker regions of compost
bins etc. in case rats come out!

Haven't used mine for about three years so it's probably stopped
working, not sure where you'd take it to get it serviced but getting
paraffin was unusually difficult too!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 23-07-2011, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 22:37:01 +0100, Janet Tweedy wrote:

Yes, they are good ! Some people seem to think you have to incinerate
the plants but actually passing the gun over them and moving on seems to
do the trick.

Yep, the blast of heat ruptures the plants cells and they wither.

Haven't used mine for about three years so it's probably stopped
working, not sure where you'd take it to get it serviced ...

They are pretty simple devices, there isn't a lot to service or go
wrong. The jet may need a prick from time to time but that's about
all.

... but getting paraffin was unusually difficult too!

Odd, almost every garden store/section that has greenhouse heaters
has paraffin, at a price of course. Domestic heating oil is the same
stuff but without "a pleasant fragrance" or the pink or blue colour.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 24-07-2011, 03:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
Yep, the blast of heat ruptures the plants cells and they wither.

Good for going round ponds etc. as there's no chemicals to get into the
pond and fabulous fun on dandelion clocks etc. !Great for shingle though
didn't attempt the tarmac on the driveway.
I did once buy one of those silly little canister burners but they are
useless and wouldn't work after half a can had been used.
Sheen gun makes a lovely noise and you start to look round for other
things to blast

Probably good for starting a bonfire also!
Old 24-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Tweedy View Post
Probably good for starting a bonfire also!
Or just a fire!

Old 24-07-2011, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article ,
MuddyMike writes
We discussed these a while back, just had mine going to zap some.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RMe6bh-zW8
Only a phone video but shows it works.

Mike

Yes, they are good ! Some people seem to think you have to incinerate
the plants but actually passing the gun over them and moving on seems
to do the trick. Fabulous for clearing around the darker regions of
compost bins etc. in case rats come out!

Haven't used mine for about three years so it's probably stopped
working, not sure where you'd take it to get it serviced but getting
paraffin was unusually difficult too!

I run mine on heating oil. Paraffin is available in 5 litre cans from the
local hardware store but it more expensive than petrol despite all the tax
on petrol. This one hadn't been used for 10 years or more when I first got
it, just cleaned out the jet/nozzle and away it went.
I also play it on all the holes in the dry stone walls where the snails like
to hide.
Its greatest success was killing of some trees that had grown out of the
base of our garden wall. No matter what I did they kept sprouting new
growth, until I cooked them with the sheen.

Mike

Old 26-07-2011, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

On Jul 23, 11:57*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 22:37:01 +0100, Janet Tweedy wrote:
Yes, they are good ! Some people seem to think you have to incinerate
the plants but actually passing the gun over them and moving on seems to
do the trick.

Yep, the blast of heat ruptures the plants cells and they wither.

Haven't used mine for about three years so it's probably stopped
working, not sure where you'd take it to get it serviced ...

They are pretty simple devices, there isn't a lot to service or go
wrong. The jet may need a prick from time to time but that's about
all.

... but getting paraffin was unusually difficult too!

Odd, almost every garden store/section that has greenhouse heaters
has paraffin, at a price of course. Domestic heating oil is the same
stuff but without "a pleasant fragrance" or the pink or blue colour.

Paraffin and heating oil are 28 second petroleum fraction, diesel is
35 second. Undemanding applications generally work ok with diesel, and
I expect this is one such.

NT
Old 26-07-2011, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 13:26:09 -0700 (PDT), NT wrote:

Odd, almost every garden store/section that has greenhouse heaters
has paraffin, at a price of course. Domestic heating oil is the

same
stuff but without "a pleasant fragrance" or the pink or blue

colour.

Paraffin and heating oil are 28 second petroleum fraction, diesel is
35 second. Undemanding applications generally work ok with diesel, and
I expect this is one such.

I suspect it might be harder to light running on diesel, these
pressurised paraffin things cane be interesting at times, normally
cuased by not waiting for the meths to have warmed 'em up enough
first.

The old blow lamp of my Dads that ran on petrol is some what more
frightening. Got that and the parafin one somewhere...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 27-07-2011, 12:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

On Jul 26, 11:21*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 13:26:09 -0700 (PDT), NT wrote:
Odd, almost every garden store/section that has greenhouse heaters
has paraffin, at a price of course. Domestic heating oil is the

same
stuff but without "a pleasant fragrance" or the pink or blue

colour.

Paraffin and heating oil are 28 second petroleum fraction, diesel is
35 second. Undemanding applications generally work ok with diesel, and
I expect this is one such.

I suspect it might be harder to light running on diesel, these
pressurised paraffin things cane be interesting at times, normally
cuased by not waiting for the meths to have warmed 'em up enough
first.

The old blow lamp of my Dads that ran on petrol is some what more
frightening. Got that and the parafin one somewhere...

Apparently the old pressurised boiling paraffin blowlamps had a poor
safety record, and that was the prime reason for the switch to more
expensive gas. I don't think I'd ever want to play with a petrol one.

NT