Old 07-08-2009, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default sheen x300 flame gun

I've just acquired one of these second hand, hence no instructions, and
I'm wondering about the best way to light it. I've heard people speaking
of wicks and meths but there's no wicks or fuel-trough in this one. The
pressurised fuel pipe doubles back on itself in a tight coil so once lit
it must self-heat, but does anyone have suggestions about what to use to
pre-heat initially?
Also, the pressure gauge goes from 0 to 60psi but what should be the
working pressure?
Thanks for any help...
brian mitchell
Old 07-08-2009, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 21:55:45 +0100, brian mitchell wrote:

I've just acquired one of these second hand, hence no instructions, and
I'm wondering about the best way to light it.

Carefully... Have you experience of parafin pressure devices?

Seriously search on google groups in this group and you'll find
several threads about Sheen flame guns and IIRC lighting proceedures.

Also a normal google will find the relevant website and there might
be downloadable instructions.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 23:16:00 +0200, Martin wrote:

... burn the weeds ...

Which doesn't mean burn as in turn to ash. The flash of intense heat
as the flame passes damages the plant cells. If they wilt it's more
than done it's job. In a day or so they'll have withered.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin writes:

http://www.gardening-tools-direct.co...un_Review.html

"Sheen Flame Gun Review

. . . open the valve briefly, just to let a bit of paraffin through on the
wick and then close it again. Light the wick through the holes and
once the wick
is burning...

What wick where wick?

And, I have to say, as an instructional video this leaves much to the
imagination. He didn't light the damn thing!!!
Old 08-08-2009, 12:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" writes:

. . . Have you experience of parafin pressure devices?

Some years on a boat with a Tilley lamp, does that count?

Seriously search on google groups in this group and you'll find
several threads about Sheen flame guns and IIRC lighting proceedures.

Also a normal google will find the relevant website and there might
be downloadable instructions.

I shall look. Thanks.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 00:56:15 +0100, brian mitchell wrote:

. . . Have you experience of parafin pressure devices?

Some years on a boat with a Tilley lamp, does that count?

Probably, you'll know not to try and light it too early. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 00:53:21 +0100, brian mitchell wrote:

What wick where wick?

I think yours might be missing...

And, I have to say, as an instructional video this leaves much to the
imagination. He didn't light the damn thing!!!

Try:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br1ZPJ8oQxY

Or dig about on the Mower Magic website, the YouTube one has a crap
sound track but it does show it being lit.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from brian mitchell contains these words:

What wick where wick?

The wick lies in the bottom of that open metal burner tube forrard
of the fuel tank.
It looks like a panty liner. If missing you can buy replacements
from sheen, but I've had the same one for decades.

The wick is lightly wet with paraffin, then touch a match to the
wick. The heat from the burning wick
heats the coil and causes the fuel in the coil to vapourise.

As for pressure; I aim to pump mine to 30; release a dribble of fuel
onto the wick, close the fuel to the feeblest possible drip.
Light the wick, When the coil is hot enough to vapourise ( signalled
by dragon panting noises), pump the pressure up to 40
on the dial, and **very slightly open the fuel control thingy.

** before trying this, please make sure the gun nozzle is not
pointing within 5 metres of anything flammable, because initially you
may open it too far and get a flame-thrower effect/
What you're looking for a is a steady roar like a jet engine.

As you use the gun the pressure will drop; when it gets down to 30 or
25 pause, set it doen safely, and pump back up to 40/

When you;re finished,, or run out of fuel, turn off the fuel valve.
Let it cool a few mintes then *slowly* release the fuel filler valve
to fully depressurise the tank.

Janet

Gee.........my butane gun sounds a whole lot safer!
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 08-08-2009, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 15:26:43 +0100, Pete C wrote:

Gee.........my butane gun sounds a whole lot safer!

But does it have a 4" dia (approx) flame to roughly a foot from the
end of the shroud? I have a little hand held gas weeder it does the
job in out french drains but for large areas would be too weedy.

You can get bigger gas jobbies but there is something about
pressurised paraffin burners...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 15:26:43 +0100, Pete C wrote:

Gee.........my butane gun sounds a whole lot safer!

But does it have a 4" dia (approx) flame to roughly a foot from the
end of the shroud?

Ah, that puts the title into context!

I have a little hand held gas weeder it does the
job in out french drains but for large areas would be too weedy.

You can get bigger gas jobbies but there is something about
pressurised paraffin burners...

I'll take your word for that
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 08-08-2009, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough writes:

The wick lies in the bottom of that open metal burner tube forrard
of the fuel tank.
It looks like a panty liner. If missing you can buy replacements
from sheen, but I've had the same one for decades.

Thanks for all the info. The wick is indeed missing. In fact, the seller
(on ebay) seems to have magnified the truth more than somewhat in the
description given. You say "replacements from sheen", do they have a
website? I couldn't find them, although other places also seem to have
parts.

I got it half lit by heating the coil with a gas torch. Half lit because
there seems to be a pressure problem. Not in the tank, but thereafter.
The flame didn't get to blue and was burning too far back, close to the
nozzle. Do the nozzles on these enlarge with time and use? Anyway, the
thing needs some attention as well as a wick. Caveat emptor, obviously.

** before trying this, please make sure the gun nozzle is not
pointing within 5 metres of anything flammable, because initially you
may open it too far and get a flame-thrower effect/

I wish!

Does yours have a hood? This one doesn't but I could easily make one if
there's any advantage to them. Better wind resistence, perhaps? Or does
it spread the heat?
Old 08-08-2009, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" writes:

You can get bigger gas jobbies but there is something about
pressurised paraffin burners...

Yes, you can't really hold a gas one slantwise across the body like an
AK47 while wearing a bandana round your head; you'd look silly.

Sheen Flame Gun Spares Steve United Kingdom 10 30-06-2017 06:37 PM
Sheen flame gun MuddyMike United Kingdom 12 27-07-2011 02:26 PM
Flamegun weedkiller - Sheen X300 Jim[_14_] United Kingdom 37 15-05-2008 10:52 AM
Sheen x300 & Fuel Paddy United Kingdom 7 15-05-2007 12:29 AM
Sheen flame weed gun gumboots11 United Kingdom 4 16-06-2005 01:19 PM