Old 05-08-2011, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default OT. Twitter accounts

Martin wrote:
What would you do if you found you had a very large overdraft in the
account?

panic

LOL me too!

I don't think I would panic till I'd phoned the bank and asked them what was
going on.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/08/2011 11:08, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Martin
writes
What would you do if you found you had a very large overdraft in the
account?

panic

Try to remember which nice Nigerian 419 gentleman you gave your bank
details to with the promise of a $10M commission?

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 05-08-2011, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/08/2011 14:44, Martin Brown wrote:
On 05/08/2011 11:08, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Martin
writes
What would you do if you found you had a very large overdraft in the
account?

panic

Try to remember which nice Nigerian 419 gentleman you gave your bank
details to with the promise of a $10M commission?

Regards,
Martin Brown

If you want to read something amusing then there is this. Someone
replying to the Nigerians under a variety of names. My favourite has
to be this one

http://sweetchillisauce.com/ntales/PTM1.html

He replies using the name Princess Tikka Massala who is the exiled ruler
of the Channa dahl.

Of course they don't have much Indian food in Nigeria and don't realise
they are having their legs pulled.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Neil Jones wrote:

He replies using the name Princess Tikka Massala who is the exiled ruler
of the Channa dahl.

I do love the Princess and all her friends!

And yes, there are a number of people who have happily wasted the Nigerian
scammers' time and made of them a source of innocent merriment.
(chorus)

Old 05-08-2011, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Aug 2011 22:25:59 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
writes
you cannot discover you suddenly have an
account at Lloyds bank if you know you haven't

Oh what a shame especially if there was a nice balance in there

Exactly!
If anyone opened a bank account in my name I would grab the money out of
there ;-) It would serve them right.

--

It's not likely to happen, my bank are up to speed on security, I have to
take my passport with me to go there in person.

Martin

Old 05-08-2011, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
writes
you cannot discover you suddenly have an
account at Lloyds bank if you know you haven't

Oh what a shame especially if there was a nice balance in there

Exactly!
If anyone opened a bank account in my name I would grab the money out of
there ;-) It would serve them right.

People have been convicted of theft for doing just that!

How? Surely if the account is in my name, the money in it is mine!

Old 05-08-2011, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 22:24:21 +0100, Sacha wrote:

The honeymoon check sounds like a goodie.

If you have ever been married and then you might rather forget about
it...

The mother's maiden name is just about useless, frankly.

So are most other forms of ID on their won but collect enough
together that support each other and you can become slightly more
certain. The one that erks me is the growing requirement for photo
ID, I don't have any photo ID, at least nothing that could be used to
confirm my address. I'm self-employed so no works ID, my driving
licence is pink and green paper.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 06 Aug 2011 09:56:20 +0200, Martin wrote:

I don't have any photo ID, at least nothing that could be used to
confirm my address. I'm self-employed so no works ID, my driving
licence is pink and green paper.

You can exchange your driving licence for one with a photo, preferably
of you. Problem solved

For free? Beggered if I'm going to pay. They certainly wanted (more?)
money for the photo licence that was just coming in when I got the
current paper one.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Martin wrote:
panic
LOL me too!

I don't think I would panic till I'd phoned the bank and asked them what was
going on.

Do you really think that somebody in India would know?

I don't think I've ever phoned my bank or credit card and got an Indian call
centre. I've had an Irish, a Geordie and a Chester one. I've had Indian
call centres for other things (I won't use The Train Line any more, after a
very very bad experience with their Indian call centre!). But never with my
financial places. (touch wood)
Old 06-08-2011, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

I hope those are not your actual security checks! Mothers maiden name,
date and place of birth are almost trivial to obtain these days. Copies
of birth or marriage certificates too and plenty of places will take
them as proof of ID (event though they shouldn't). Cost would be about
20 to find that info if you were being targeted for fraud.

You would have quite a job getting a copy of my birth certificate
except by asking me for one! I don't even know if I still could,
though I probably could after considerable hassle and delay (and,
by that, I am talking several months and possibly years).

However, I am unusual in that respect. You could find most people's
as easily as you say.

Mothers maiden name is completely useless as a security question.

Mine is tolerable. While a stranger could find that information
via the net, it would require considerable application and even
ingenuity. Anyone who disagrees is welcome to Email me with it!
But I agree that I wouldn't call it actually SECURE, as any serious
investigation would find it within the day.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/08/2011 20:58, Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Aug 2011 22:25:59 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Janet wrote in message
In , Christina Websell
[...]

Having disclosed what the other somewhat more robust test is in a public
forum you really ought to consider changing it to something else. And
definitely change you mothers maiden name to a favourite plant, colour,
car, plane or something.

Same with passwords include upper and lower case letters, numbers and at
least one symbol. Do not use words and never do obvious swaps like S/5
I/l/1 Z/2 O/0 they are amongst the first things a dictionary based
attacker will try (as is your phone no & car registration).

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not all out to get you!

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 06-08-2011, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:
Nick wrote...
Mine is tolerable. While a stranger could find that information
via the net, it would require considerable application and even
ingenuity. Anyone who disagrees is welcome to Email me with it!
But I agree that I wouldn't call it actually SECURE, as any serious
investigation would find it within the day.

You have mail. :-)

So have you :-)

But am I right?

Very close indeed.

Regards,
Nick.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin Brown
writes

[...]
Same with passwords include upper and lower case letters, numbers and
at least one symbol. Do not use words and never do obvious swaps like
S/5 I/l/1 Z/2 O/0 they are amongst the first things a dictionary based
attacker will try (as is your phone no & car registration).

I use registration numbers going back over the last 65 years.
My daughters can remember some of them, but that doesn't worry me.
;-)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Twitter OT Bob Hobden United Kingdom 38 02-12-2013 03:32 PM
false Twitter accounts Pam Moore[_2_] United Kingdom 3 11-08-2011 10:40 PM
Off Topic TED on media Twitter etc Bill who putters Gardening 0 22-07-2010 08:18 PM
Merchant Accounts Tsu Doh Nimh Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:28 PM
Mazda (was Another of Andy Mabbets ISP accounts for trolling) Ophelia United Kingdom 1 24-03-2003 09:56 PM