Old 06-08-2011, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT. Twitter accounts

Nick wrote...
Mine is tolerable. While a stranger could find that information
via the net, it would require considerable application and even
ingenuity. Anyone who disagrees is welcome to Email me with it!
But I agree that I wouldn't call it actually SECURE, as any serious
investigation would find it within the day.

You have mail. :-)

But am I right?

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK
Old 06-08-2011, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:
Nick wrote...
Mine is tolerable. While a stranger could find that information
via the net, it would require considerable application and even
ingenuity. Anyone who disagrees is welcome to Email me with it!
But I agree that I wouldn't call it actually SECURE, as any serious
investigation would find it within the day.

You have mail. :-)

So have you :-)

But am I right?

Very close indeed.

Regards,
Nick.

:-((

Why do people/posters on this newsgroup/forum think they are
SOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooo superior to others?

I see it time and time again.

Kindest regards to those who feel that they are so superior to another
poster :-((

Mike

Old 06-08-2011, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin Brown
writes
Having disclosed what the other somewhat more robust test is in a
public forum you really ought to consider changing it to something
else. And definitely change you mothers maiden name to a favourite
plant, colour, car, plane or something.

Or have that question but with a 'made-up' answer! As long as it matches
the original question and answer it will work, just say you went New
Guinea or somewhere for your honeymoon instead of Blackpool
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 06-08-2011, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
'Mike' wrote:

Why do people/posters on this newsgroup/forum think they are
SOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooo superior to others?

Because we are?

I see it time and time again.

That doesn't surprise me.

Kindest regards to those who feel that they are so superior to another
poster :-((

Kindest regards to those who give us that opportunity :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , 'Mike'
writes

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , writes

[...]
Mine is tolerable. While a stranger could find that information
via the net, it would require considerable application and even
ingenuity. Anyone who disagrees is welcome to Email me with it!
But I agree that I wouldn't call it actually SECURE, as any serious
investigation would find it within the day.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Your mother's maiden name was Ford-Cosworth.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

I am involved with quite a few ex Service Associations, in fact I am
President of two of them, and many of the members won't give me their
Service Numbers because 'they form my PIN number/security number etc :-((

Mike

Well, you never forget, do you?
Was it your '1250' you always had to carry when you left camp?
I managed to avoid ever being on a '252', but I think a weekend pass was a
'295'...
RAF numbers, I don't know about the Army.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Sorry Gordon those numbers are gobbledegook to me, I was in the Senior
Service

Kindest regards

Mike

Old 06-08-2011, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-08-05 20:58:21 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Aug 2011 22:25:59 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
writes
you cannot discover you suddenly have an
account at Lloyds bank if you know you haven't

Oh what a shame especially if there was a nice balance in there

Exactly!
If anyone opened a bank account in my name I would grab the money out
of
there ;-) It would serve them right.

What would you do if you found you had a very large overdraft in the
account?
--

It's not likely to happen, my bank are up to speed on security, I have to
take my passport with me to go there in person.

The honeymoon check sounds like a goodie. The mother's maiden name is
just about useless, frankly. Anyone with the faintest knowledge of the
many, many genealogical tools available on the web could get that easily.
I cannot understand why banks etc. still think that's a secure form of id.
--

They do "name of your first pet" too.
When I set up my account many years ago, mother's maiden name was good

Tina

Old 06-08-2011, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 05/08/2011 20:58, Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Aug 2011 22:25:59 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Janet wrote in message
In , Christina Websell
writes
you cannot discover you suddenly have an
account at Lloyds bank if you know you haven't

Oh what a shame especially if there was a nice balance in there

Exactly!
If anyone opened a bank account in my name I would grab the money out
of
there ;-) It would serve them right.

What would you do if you found you had a very large overdraft in the
account?
--

It's not likely to happen, my bank are up to speed on security, I have to
take my passport with me to go there in person.
I have to know my mothers maiden name and where I spent my honeymoon to
touch my account. They are unlikely to set up another one for me if I
cannot provide these security checks.

I hope those are not your actual security checks! Mothers maiden name,
date and place of birth are almost trivial to obtain these days. Copies of
birth or marriage certificates too and plenty of places will take them as
proof of ID (event though they shouldn't). Cost would be about £20 to find
that info if you were being targeted for fraud.

Mothers maiden name is completely useless as a security question.

Having disclosed what the other somewhat more robust test is in a public
forum you really ought to consider changing it to something else. And
definitely change you mothers maiden name to a favourite plant, colour,
car, plane or something.

Same with passwords include upper and lower case letters, numbers and at
least one symbol. Do not use words and never do obvious swaps like S/5
I/l/1 Z/2 O/0 they are amongst the first things a dictionary based
attacker will try (as is your phone no & car registration).

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not all out to get
you!

I said already that another security check is where I spent my honeymoon.
Even my own family don't know this one and I doubt it could ever be guessed.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:

But what I detest most is when someone rings up and says that before
they can speak to me I have to answer security questions. I say "no"
and hang up.

Lloyds Bank did that to me, once. I was polite but very, very
blunt. They stopped doing that almost immediately afterwards.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/08/2011 22:25, Christina Websell wrote:
"Janet wrote in message
In , Christina Websell
writes
you cannot discover you suddenly have an
account at Lloyds bank if you know you haven't

Oh what a shame especially if there was a nice balance in there

I did once "win" a Lloyds bank account with £3 in it. I expect every other
student who entered their competition did exactly the same.

Exactly!
If anyone opened a bank account in my name I would grab the money out of
there ;-) It would serve them right.

I have actually been in that position with the boot on the other foot. A
banking error merged my own account with someone elses!

Name collisions can cause serious trouble. In this instance there were two
distinct M T Browns banking at the same branch and when I moved to another
part of the country they helpfully merged all the assets and both salaries
into my account. The other person was left with nothing - cards all
cancelled and a big mess. Hazards of having a common name.

Luckily, I have an uncommon surname. There are not many of us and I think
we all came from the same root, in the North East.
Also luckily none of us seem to be not managing their spending habits and
have no bailiffs after us (phew)

Tina

Old 06-08-2011, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Janet wrote in message
[...]

My mother has so many maiden names I have to keep a list to remember
which one is which. I also went to about 15 schools on my first day
back when I was 5 (another list). And the Dogs Trust would never let
me adopt, given that any pet I had only lasted a few minutes (I have
over 20 first pets).

But what I detest most is when someone rings up and says that before
they can speak to me I have to answer security questions. I say "no"
and hang up.

My bank occasionally sends me an email warning me never to click on a
link in any email purporting to be from the bank. This is usually
about 24 hours before they send me an email with a link to check my
"anti-fraud" account.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 06-08-2011, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet wrote in message
[...]

And there I was thinking you were running some sort of internet sales
business

Old 06-08-2011, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet wrote in message
[...]

Yep, it's because of web plus sell.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 06 Aug 2011 21:12:38 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

and have no
bailiffs after us (phew)

Around 15 years ago I had a baliff knock on our door, demanding a large
sum of money. He was waving a bit of paper from some court somewhere.
On careful inspection I pointed out that the name wasn't mine, and while
I lived at No. xy, the warrant was for No. 1xy.

He looked very carefully at the printed number & at the one on the door,
then recovered his nasty manner. "Nah. Same fing!"

I suggested he come back with a policeman, as the document proposed, and
shut the door on him. He shouted through the letterbox "You've not seen
the last of me, chum!"

I wonder when he is coming back?

--
Bob Harvey

Twitter OT Bob Hobden United Kingdom 38 02-12-2013 03:32 PM
false Twitter accounts Pam Moore[_2_] United Kingdom 3 11-08-2011 10:40 PM
Off Topic TED on media Twitter etc Bill who putters Gardening 0 22-07-2010 08:18 PM
Merchant Accounts Tsu Doh Nimh Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:28 PM
Mazda (was Another of Andy Mabbets ISP accounts for trolling) Ophelia United Kingdom 1 24-03-2003 09:56 PM