Old 06-08-2011, 01:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How do I deal with a wild rose?

When I took over my allotment a few years ago, there was a rose tree/bush
that I presume started out as a "proper" rose but has since gone wild. The
trouble is that I've never been sure how to prune it.

It's approximately 9 foot high, but the first 3 foot at least is just bare
"trunk". It used to flower, but the last couple of years it hasn't (probably
due to my pruning). What I've done the last couple of years, to try and get
it under control is chop off about half the height of the stems that have
leaves on them, but all that happens is they shoot up within a couple of
months to the same height (if not a little higher) to what I cut off, and
don't even flower now.

What I would really like to know, is can I prune it severely even to where
the trunk part is? Would this promote growth to start lower down. The trunk
is very old looking a gnarly, would it send new shoots out or not? Id prefer
it to be a height of about 6 foot, with less bare trunk and of course to be
flowering again.

Any advice appreciated.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"rose" wrote in message
[...]

Be bold. Cut it about 6inches from the ground. Just above a bud if there is
one. It will then either put out new shoots or die. Either way, the problem
is solved.

Steve

Old 06-08-2011, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kay Kay is offline

On 06/08/2011 01:51, in article , "rose"
wrote:

When I took over my allotment a few years ago, there was a rose tree/bush
that I presume started out as a "proper" rose but has since gone wild. The
trouble is that I've never been sure how to prune it.

When a rose "goes wild", it's because it was originally grafted on to a wild
rose, and for some reason the cultivated rose has died and all you have is
shoots from the wild rose it was grafted on to. It may be nothing more than
failure to remove suckers from the wild rose - they typically have more
vigour than the cultivated one (which is why the cultivated one was grafted)
and therefore take over.

It's approximately 9 foot high, but the first 3 foot at least is just bare
"trunk".

That is curious. Most of the wild roses used for grafting are shrub form and
throw up a lot of shoots from the base.

Roses grow by throwing up strong vegetative shoots. These shoots then put
out shorter flowering shoots in the following year. I would try cutting out
some of your long shoots to about a couple of buds from the trunk. Then I'd
take the remaining shoots and gently curve them round and down and tie them
into position - you may find that the bend will stimulate them to put out
flowering shoots in nature, the rose will try to climb to the top of the
canopy before flowering. While the stem is still going upward, it obviously
hasn't reached the top, so won't flower. When it reaches the top, and
there's nothing more to support it, it will bend under its own weight, and
therefore knows it's time to flower.

Meanwhile, I'd try to start some cuttings. Once I'd got a cutting growing
successfully, that'd give me the courage for really drastic pruning, perhaps
reducing the length of the trunk, knowing that if it died on my, I could
replace it with the one I'd grown from a cutting.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/08/2011 01:51, rose wrote:
When I took over my allotment a few years ago, there was a rose tree/bush
that I presume started out as a "proper" rose but has since gone wild. The
trouble is that I've never been sure how to prune it.

It's approximately 9 foot high, but the first 3 foot at least is just bare
"trunk". It used to flower, but the last couple of years it hasn't (probably

That sounds a bit like it is an old rose variety that is growing on its
own roots. If it was wild there would be a fair number of suckers from
the vigorous rootstock rather than a single stem.

due to my pruning). What I've done the last couple of years, to try and get
it under control is chop off about half the height of the stems that have
leaves on them, but all that happens is they shoot up within a couple of
months to the same height (if not a little higher) to what I cut off, and
don't even flower now.

It will next year flower on this years wood. If you keep cutting that
off then next year you get no flowers. Best bet is cut some bits right
back to a couple of buds from the main stem, some back by two thirds,
some by a third and leave a few stems at full length if you can tie them
in out of the way. Weak stems get cut out completely and strong stems
leave as long as you dare.

What I would really like to know, is can I prune it severely even to where
the trunk part is? Would this promote growth to start lower down. The trunk

Possibly not. I have seen very old rose trees go the way you describe
with a long lower stem with no new growth on it. There are a couple of
old roses here that look similar after a few decades of growth.

is very old looking a gnarly, would it send new shoots out or not? Id prefer
it to be a height of about 6 foot, with less bare trunk and of course to be
flowering again.

Best chance to see some flowers next year is leave a few stems at full
length this year and tie them in out of the way. Prune the rest by
varying amounts to improve the shape and remove crossing branches.

What you have been doing so far simply encourages the plant to put on
lots of soft whippy new growth that is not sufficiently mature to
flower. Like chopping all the ends of branches a tip bearing apple tree.

You can get the same problem by incorrect pruning of pyracantha if you
cut off all the new wood that would mature and have flowers next year.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 07-08-2011, 06:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 06/08/2011 01:51, rose wrote:
[...]

Thanks everyone for your advice. I think I will try the cut a few leave a
few trick, as I have never seen suckers come from the base and have a
feeling that cutting low down would be the end of the plant. I don't want to
lose it as it looks great (or did when it flowered) but it's just out of
hand and my attempts seem to have made it worse. I might take a photo of it
and show you how odd it is :-)