Old 09-08-2011, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cut flower water

Sometimes shortly after being placed in a glass vase, some cut flowers turn
the water very milky looking.

Is there any chemical that will stop this happening, without damaging the
flowers?

Old 09-08-2011, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 9 Aug 2011 14:09:26 +0100, "john thompson"
wrote:

Sometimes shortly after being placed in a glass vase, some cut flowers turn
the water very milky looking.

Is there any chemical that will stop this happening, without damaging the
flowers?

Flowers such as poppies, euphorbia, some dahlias and hollyhocks
release a milky sap - a form of latex - when cut (this is usually an
irritant so best not to let it get on your skin). The usual treatment
is to seal the stems before putting them in a vase. Cut the stem and
then immediately hold the cut end in the flame of a candle or
cigarette lighter or dunk it into boiling water for a few seconds to
seal it. I prefer the candle option as there's no risk of sap dripping
onto my hand (lighter) or messing up a saucepan (boiling water).

(This treatment will not shorten the life of the blooms in water - the
latex would stop them from absorbing water through the cut ends if
left "untreated".)

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 09-08-2011, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

wrote:

[...]

The milky discoloration in other cases is generally bacterial, and
bacteria often grow on the cut surface, blocking the entry of water.
The Brooklyn Botanic garden, among others, gives a recipe for
cut-flower food on its website. I've been using it, with variable
results, as follows:

Per litre of water, 1 teasp sugar, 1 teasp household bleach, and 2
teasp lemon juice. (I've tried 3 vinegar instead of lemon juice, and
it seems to be equivalent.)

I have the unscientific impression that carnations don't like the
bleach.

Apparently some Irish nuns ran some experiments, and found that simply
sticking to plain water and changing it a lot worked as well as
additives. But they probably had a higher power on their side...

--
Mike.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:

[...]

Mike.- Hide quoted text -

After cutting dip the stems into hand hot water for around 10 seconds
then move then straight into cold water with a level teaspoon of
bleach to every 2 pints of water.
As for Dahlias having a milky sap, I'd like a plant of that variety, I
grow over 300 varieties, and in my time I have probably grown twice
that number of varieties, from species to hybrids and have never once
found any with anything that coule even faintly resemble a milky sap,
and in all my years I have yet to hear of anyone having a reaction to
dahlia sap.
David Hill
Old 10-08-2011, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Aaaaargh! Did I say "dahlias"?. Slip of the digits. I was thinking of
something else but can't remember what it was now. Began with "D"
though. And welcome back. Glad to see that you've finally managed to
plant everything.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk

Cut-Flower Care-How to Make Your Fresh-Cut Flowers Last O My Garden[_2_] Gardening 0 14-09-2007 06:40 AM
[IBC] To cut or not to cut that´s the question. Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 0 04-11-2004 01:39 PM
To cut or not to cut ? Allen Lai Lawns 4 31-10-2003 11:22 PM
To cut or not to cut .... Allen Lai Lawns 9 12-06-2003 04:56 AM