Old 27-08-2011, 09:14 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Brown View Post

Not sure if I missed something - but if the OP is getting three fellahs
to do the removal, they will usually do stump grinding for not much
more. Doesn't get rid of all the root, but takes it reasonably back.[/i][/color]

I missed that bit. If a stump grinder is available then it is easy. A
trace of dilute copper sulphate on the remaining bits cut ends will help
accelerate the wood rot fungi colonising the leftovers.

Regards,
Martin Brown
No - there's just one fellah (husband) doing the felling, with teenage son for extra muscle power. We'd have to hire a stump grinder. Would that be the best thing to do?

Thanks

Laura
Old 27-08-2011, 09:39 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
Be aware that the only truly non-running bamboos you can routinely grow in this country are Fargesias and Thamnocalamus (there rae some others, but they are expensive connoisseur things).
Thanks for the advice. The bamboos that we have a

fargesia nitida 'Jiuzhaigou'
fargesia robusta
phyllostachys glauca,
phyllostachys aureosulcata f. spectabilis
phyllostachys nigra

The area is about three metres by eight metres with lawn in front and a field fence (and stumps) behind. It's some distance from the house and in a landscape that won't be overwhelmed by the final scale of some of these.

Can I restrain the possibly rampant phyllostachys by kicking down encroaching culms (as I have been told) or is that ineffective? Barriers?

Thanks

Laura
Old 27-08-2011, 09:46 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Corin View Post
No - there's just one fellah (husband) doing the felling, with teenage son for extra muscle power. We'd have to hire a stump grinder. Would that be the best thing to do?

Thanks

Laura
Hi Laura, My feelings are that if your planning on planting bamboo, I wouldnt worry too much as bamboo are not fussy. If you wanted to take out the stumps, I would remove the tops of these conifers, leaving about 6-8ft of the trunks and then using a monkey winch, winch out these stumps using the trunks to attach the cable and pull them over ! you can hire these winches quite cheaply and its not very hard to use them, use the strongest trunk (or a tree if one is near enough) as the anchor but as I said, its not necessary in my opinion to remove the roots if your planting bamboo !
Lannerman.
Old 28-08-2011, 08:41 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
Hi Laura, My feelings are that if your planning on planting bamboo, I wouldnt worry too much as bamboo are not fussy. If you wanted to take out the stumps, I would remove the tops of these conifers, leaving about 6-8ft of the trunks and then using a monkey winch, winch out these stumps using the trunks to attach the cable and pull them over ! you can hire these winches quite cheaply and its not very hard to use them, use the strongest trunk (or a tree if one is near enough) as the anchor but as I said, its not necessary in my opinion to remove the roots if your planting bamboo !
Lannerman.
Very interesting idea - thank you. We have a very large and sturdy beech which we could use as an anchor point for a monkey winch. Or we could just ignore the stumps and plant the bamboo.

Thanks again,

Laura