Old 25-08-2011, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Does Bubblewrap ............

........ lining a greenhouse, stop tomatoes ripening?

Mike

Old 25-08-2011, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
....... lining a greenhouse, stop tomatoes ripening?

Will slow it down.....less light.
Pete C

Old 25-08-2011, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message
....... lining a greenhouse, stop tomatoes ripening?

Will slow it down.....less light.
Pete C

Thanks Pete.

Now a question. If Bubble wrap slows things down, why is a short cut to put
tomatoes in a paper bag to ripen them ;-))

(Please note folks, I have had the courtesy to respond to a response to a
question. ;-)))

Kindest regards

Mike
(President etc etc etc .............................................)

Old 26-08-2011, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Pete C" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message
....... lining a greenhouse, stop tomatoes ripening?

Will slow it down.....less light.
Pete C

Thanks Pete.

Now a question. If Bubble wrap slows things down, why is a short cut to
put tomatoes in a paper bag to ripen them ;-))

Mike

Because the bag traps the chemicals that cause things to ripen, not sure
about tomatoes but with bananas its ethylene, if you place a piece of ripe
fruit in with unripe fruit it will cause it to ripen.

When carrying fruit as cargo one of the main problems is the removal of
gasses to prevent ripening in transit.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 26-08-2011, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Pete C" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message
....... lining a greenhouse, stop tomatoes ripening?

Will slow it down.....less light.
Pete C

Thanks Pete.

Now a question. If Bubble wrap slows things down, why is a short cut to
put tomatoes in a paper bag to ripen them ;-))

Mike

Because the bag traps the chemicals that cause things to ripen, not sure
about tomatoes but with bananas its ethylene, if you place a piece of ripe
fruit in with unripe fruit it will cause it to ripen.

When carrying fruit as cargo one of the main problems is the removal of
gasses to prevent ripening in transit.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Thanks Charlie :-))

Mike

Old 26-08-2011, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

'Mike' wrote:
Now a question. If Bubble wrap slows things down, why is a short cut to put
tomatoes in a paper bag to ripen them ;-))

Because a paper bag will trap the gasses, but not stop light getting to the
leaves. Bubble wrap, if the assertion that it does stop ripening is correct
(I've no experience of it), would be because it's blocking light to the
leaves, not just the tomatoes.
Old 26-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Name View Post
'Mike' wrote:
Now a question. If Bubble wrap slows things down, why is a short cut to put
tomatoes in a paper bag to ripen them ;-))

Because a paper bag will trap the gasses, but not stop light getting to the
leaves. Bubble wrap, if the assertion that it does stop ripening is correct
(I've no experience of it), would be because it's blocking light to the
leaves, not just the tomatoes.
But bubble pack doesn't cut down the light as much as shading does, yet tomatoes ripen perfectly happily with shading whether it's netting or whitewash type shading.
Old 26-08-2011, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/08/2011 12:27 AM, 'Mike' wrote:
....... lining a greenhouse, stop tomatoes ripening?

Mike

It is likely to block much more UV light than just a pane of glass. A
simple test is to use self tinting glasses (spectacles) - if they don't
go as dark as quickly then you have cut back on a good deal of UV light.

Old 31-08-2011, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Who_me?" wrote in message ...

On 26/08/2011 12:27 AM, 'Mike' wrote:
....... lining a greenhouse, stop tomatoes ripening?

Mike

It is likely to block much more UV light than just a pane of glass. A
simple test is to use self tinting glasses (spectacles) - if they don't go
as dark as quickly then you have cut back on a good deal of UV light.

WM, Vicky, Granity, sorry Commodore "creepy" Crowe is unable to thank you in
person for your helpful replies.
He's busy nannying and lecturing on Netiquette and putting the world to
right. For your pleasure, here's another sermon:-

"'Mike'" wrote in message ...

Whilst apologies can almost be demanded, do you find that 'Thank you' is as
near as damn it forgotten by those who should know better?

Just my observation over a period of time on this particular
newsgroup/forum.

Mike

Old 31-08-2011, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message ...

Whilst apologies can almost be demanded, do you find that 'Thank you' is
as
near as damn it forgotten by those who should know better?

Just my observation over a period of time on this particular
newsgroup/forum.

Mike

Yes very remiss of me. Must be the way urg is run rubbing off on me :-((

I will be using it as my own personal and very public email facility next,
to talk to my friends instead of emailing them. tut tut.

A very belated thank you to those who replied about the bubblewrap.

What a good job this isn't a 'subscribed to only' newsgroup/forum, I feel
sure that for my display of bad manners, I would have had my subscription
withdrawn and banned for life.

**NOTE TO SELF**

Must do better.

Very many thanks once again for drawing my attention to such a slip

Kindest regards

Mike
ps Is that enough of a grovel for the owners?