Old 20-09-2011, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
rog rog is offline

Default Leylandii grrrr

Free Leylandii clippings, just come and cut your own
Is this the worst garden pest of all time?
Rog

http://rog.pynguins.com/content/item/beans

Old 20-09-2011, 10:57 AM
Registered User

Location: Norwich

It is a pest but they burn like fury making them great fire lighters for bbq's etc!

Pot Tastic
__________________
http://pot-tastic.co.uk/

We've got lots of pots!
Old 20-09-2011, 12:07 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog View Post
Free Leylandii clippings, just come and cut your own
Is this the worst garden pest of all time?
I wouldn't have thought so. It causes annoyance to neighbours if not kept within bounds, but it hasn't shown any sign of escaping into the wild or harming wildlife - indeed goldcrests rather like nesting in its dense foliage.

There's much better candidates for the title, for example Japanese Knotweed, or one of the many water plants that have been sold for garden ponds and are now clogging up our waterways - Azolla for example.
__________________
Old 20-09-2011, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/09/2011 10:15, Rog wrote:
Free Leylandii clippings, just come and cut your own
Is this the worst garden pest of all time?
Rog

No. It is not difficult to deal with if you have a good chainsaw. When
it's gone, it's gone.

There's nothing inherently wrong with Leylandii. It's the idiots who
put it in the wrong place, or the right place but fail to keep it under
control, who are the pests.

If you want pests, anything unwanted that grows from deep roots or roots
which break up will fill the role far better than Leylandii ever will.

--

Jeff
Old 20-09-2011, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rog" wrote in :

http://rog.pynguins.c

Sorry to tell you, but the url does not work.

Baz

Old 20-09-2011, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rog" wrote in message
Free Leylandii clippings, just come and cut your own
Is this the worst garden pest of all time?
Rog

http://rog.pynguins.com/content/item/beans

Tried the link but it said No.
I am falling out with my next door neighbour big time about my Lawsons
Cypressus which she wants me to take down.
I will probably do it to avoid bad feeling, but she's been so..awful, coming
round and ringing my bell and knocking on my window. It's an insurance
claim and there is no reason for her to do that.

Old 20-09-2011, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
rog rog is offline

Christina Websell wrote:

"Rog" wrote in message
Free Leylandii clippings, just come and cut your own
Is this the worst garden pest of all time?
Rog

http://rog.pynguins.com/content/item/beans

Tried the link but it said No.
I am falling out with my next door neighbour big time about my
Lawsons Cypressus which she wants me to take down. I will probably
do it to avoid bad feeling, but she's been so..awful, coming round
and ringing my bell and knocking on my window. It's an insurance
claim and there is no reason for her to do that.

The link should now work, the_lad had re-booted the server.
Sorry to hear about the neighbour Christina.
I have a neighbour (good) one side and non-speaker with the Leylandii
on t'other side.
The runner bean patch has been over-run by my sons chickens
Rog

Old 20-09-2011, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rog" wrote

Free Leylandii clippings, just come and cut your own
Is this the worst garden pest of all time?

Well it's certainly up there with Mares tails and bindweed. But much worse
when it's in a neighbours garden sucking the goodness out of your garden and
you can't just cut it down or poison it or cut off all the branches to use
it as a climbing frame for something nice. Does it respond to copper nails
etc?
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 20-09-2011, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-09-20 20:20:27 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:

"Rog" wrote in message
Free Leylandii clippings, just come and cut your own
Is this the worst garden pest of all time?
Rog

http://rog.pynguins.com/content/item/beans

Tried the link but it said No.
I am falling out with my next door neighbour big time about my Lawsons
Cypressus which she wants me to take down.
I will probably do it to avoid bad feeling, but she's been so..awful,
coming
round and ringing my bell and knocking on my window. It's an insurance
claim and there is no reason for her to do that.

Have you tried having her in for a cup of coffee and a chat? These things
make neighbours nervous so if she knows you're prepared to do something
she may calm down a bit.

It's gone beyond that, we now hate each other and I cannot see it getting
much better.
Such a pity. I never fell out with neighbours in 25 years of living here.

Old 20-09-2011, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rog" wrote in message
Free Leylandii clippings, just come and cut your own
Is this the worst garden pest of all time?
Rog

http://rog.pynguins.com/content/item/beans

I do wish that every conifer in Britain is not demonised as Leylandii.

Old 21-09-2011, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote

"Rog" wrote
Free Leylandii clippings, just come and cut your own
Is this the worst garden pest of all time?

I do wish that every conifer in Britain is not demonised as Leylandii.

I love my Bristlecone Pine but the virtually unkept Leylandii hedge in a
neighbours small garden is horrible to behold.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 21-09-2011, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 20, 10:15*am, "Rog" wrote:
Free Leylandii clippings, just come and cut your own *
Is this the worst garden pest of all time?
Rog

http://rog.pynguins.com/content/item/beans

What you need is a shredder. The cogwheeel type is best. Put through
and add to compost heap/uses as mulch under shrubs etc.
Old 21-09-2011, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Sep 21, 11:11*am, Janet wrote:
In article , says...

"Rog" *wrote

Free Leylandii clippings, just come and cut your own *
Is this the worst garden pest of all time?

Well it's certainly up there with Mares tails and bindweed.

*Both of those are invasive self-spreaders, *and hard to eradicate.
*Unlike *cupressus leylandii.

* Janet

I am just wondering if the timber from Leylandii is of any use other
than for firewoon
Old 21-09-2011, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 21, 2:11*pm, Dave Hill wrote:

I am just wondering if the timber from Leylandii is of any use other
than for firewood

I've just used some of mine to make posts for supporting my raspberry
canes. Dunno how long they'll last before rotting, but they were
free.

Andrew

Old 21-09-2011, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
rog rog is offline

harry wrote:

On Sep 20, 10:15*am, "Rog" wrote:
Free Leylandii clippings, just come and cut your own *
Is this the worst garden pest of all time?
Rog

http://rog.pynguins.com/content/item/beans

What you need is a shredder. The cogwheeel type is best. Put through
and add to compost heap/uses as mulch under shrubs etc.

If it was planted on my side of the boundary that would have happened
years ago.
There are so many plants suitable for hedges, including conifers, that
will enhance the garden.
Rog

Grrrr....cabbage whites.... David.WE.Roberts United Kingdom 20 06-08-2013 10:06 AM
[IBC] OT-Grrrr! Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 25-10-2005 01:06 AM
Grrrr Diana Kulaga Orchids 22 23-07-2005 11:13 AM
tom cats - grrrr Vicky United Kingdom 46 18-04-2004 03:08 PM
OT - computers - grrrr! Sacha United Kingdom 20 07-11-2003 11:24 PM