Old 04-07-2005, 10:35 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default Grrrr

Okay, gang. I posted the following a while ago, and I was able to see the
post. Now it is gone from the list, at least on my end. *Poof*! Gone.

The subject line was "Test".

Can anyone tell me where the $%#&*(*# it is?

Diana

Old 04-07-2005, 10:40 PM
Diana Kulaga

Sorry. I forgot to add the text from the original post. I am about ready to
spit, just before I throw this computer and the Bell South software and
modem out in the driveway. All kinds of weirdness going on.

Hi, All,

We are in the process of changing our ISP. Today, after 3 years on the phone
with a techie from Bell South, I can finally get into the groups using the
new service. We're cool with it, although I'm not thrilled that abpo only
keeps the posts for a couple of days.

Would someone who already has my email address do me a favor and PM me
directly from this message? The tech was supposed to be adding an alias as a
filter to protect from spam, and if he did then your mail won't get through
to me, so let me know in a separate email to the old address.

I'll send you guys the the new one privately.

Thanks much!

Diana

Old 04-07-2005, 10:42 PM
?

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 17:35:11 -0400 in Diana Kulaga wrote:
Okay, gang. I posted the following a while ago, and I was able to see the
post. Now it is gone from the list, at least on my end. *Poof*! Gone.

The subject line was "Test".

Can anyone tell me where the $%#&*(*# it is?

It's still out there on RR's newsservers.
Your first post has a message-id of

If your newsreader has the ability to read articles from the newsspool by
message-id, use that to retrieve the article.
Otherwise you will want to try
telnet hostnameofyournewsserver 119
article
quit

(Works on XP, might work on 2000, works on all Unixes except AIX 2.x
without TCP/IP installed. Obviously substitute hostnameofyournewsserver
to the hostname or IP address of your newsserver).

Odds are the numbering on bell south's newsserver is completely different
from you own and you'll need to reset it as if you haven't read anything
yet.
--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil
Old 04-07-2005, 10:45 PM
Diana Kulaga

Aaaarrrggh!

At least I know it is showing up. I'm going to have to deal the the tech
stuff tomorrow. My brain is addled.

Diana
rg...

Old 04-07-2005, 10:46 PM
Dick Sharp

The problem is that your news server deleated the message. I had
similar problems and had to go to another server (pay) . I can see
your test message here.

Old 04-07-2005, 10:53 PM
?

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 17:40:53 -0400 in Diana Kulaga wrote:
Sorry. I forgot to add the text from the original post. I am about ready to
spit, just before I throw this computer and the Bell South software and
modem out in the driveway. All kinds of weirdness going on.

Assuming you ever reset your counters on what's been read (I don't have your
email address), you might want to consider using your old software for
news.

Old 04-07-2005, 10:56 PM
Diana Kulaga

Thanks, Dick, but why only that one? I am going to access the group via
Earthlink and see what I get there. We've been at this since 9AM and also
worked on it for the last couple of days (good bye lunch by the beach!), and
I've about had it for the day. Lots of people here use Bell South without
incident, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Tomorrow's another day.

Diana

Old 04-07-2005, 11:13 PM
Diana Kulaga

Okay, folks. Different ISP this time, different computer, and different
server. Still can't see that bloody message. But of course, if Bell's server
deleted it, then it would be gone everywhere. Still. Why just that one?

I_am_going_to_have_a_couple_of_drinks. Or three.

Domani.

Diana

Old 05-07-2005, 12:05 AM
Alan

If you are using O.E. have you tried clicking view and current view and
show all messages?
Alan

.. .

Old 05-07-2005, 03:20 AM
J Fortuna

Diana,
This is really weird: I cannot see your message in Outlook Express when I
have the View Current View set to Group by Conversation. However, when I
uncheck the Group by conversation and have it list all messages in reverse
chronological order, the message is there. I can also do a Find "Bell South"
(even when the messages are grouped by thread) and it finds your message,
but I can't tell where it finds it when it's not listed. So it seems to be
there, just not always displayed???
Weird!
Joanna

ink.net...

Old 05-07-2005, 03:37 AM
J Fortuna

Ok, I know now what's happening:
On 5/8/2005 Diana posted another message with subject Test.
When the messages are grouped by conversation, Outlook Express arranges the
new Test message of Diana's in the same conversation as the old Test message
of Diana's.
So when I go to the 5/8/2005 to the old Test thread, I can see Diana's new
Test message as one of the replies and then Al's reply is arrange down there
too.
Diana, is your newsgroup reader doing the same thing?
It's a feature not a bug, I am sure. And shame on you for reusing the same
subject for a non-related message. In the future just make sure never to use
the same subject again when posting to rgo, no matter how long it has been,
and Microsoft may treat your message the way you would expect. :-)
Joanna

Old 05-07-2005, 05:57 AM
Susan Erickson

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 02:37:10 GMT, "J Fortuna"
wrote:

It's a feature not a bug, I am sure. And shame on you for reusing the same
subject for a non-related message. In the future just make sure never to use
the same subject again when posting to rgo, no matter how long it has been,
and Microsoft may treat your message the way you would expect. :-)
Joanna

Joanna -
That feature put one of my new picture posts in ABPO back into a
thread that was 1 month old and started by someone else. SO if
that rule holds the only thread we will be able to use is our
name/initials and a sequential number never repeating. Good Luck
with that.
SuE
Old 05-07-2005, 12:34 PM
J Fortuna

Sue,
I hope you realize that I was being sarcastic when I said "it's a feature
not a bug."
Joanna

Old 05-07-2005, 06:15 PM
Susan Erickson

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 11:34:26 GMT, "J Fortuna"
wrote:

Sue,
I hope you realize that I was being sarcastic when I said "it's a feature
not a bug."
Joanna

I am well aware of MS's tendency to call BUGs 'features' and Yes
I too was being more than slightly sarcastic with the whole
thing. It galls me no end to have to live with so many bugs.
SuE
Old 05-07-2005, 09:29 PM
Diana Kulaga

Okay. I tried what worked for you, Joanna, and it worked for me too. Of
course, viewing the messages that way would be like the wild, wild west.

Anyway, there have been numerous original threads in this group with "Test"
in the subject line. I'm using Outlook Express and XP. What will happen when
someone posts a picture in abpo, with a subject line identical to one that
already appeared? Happens all the time over there. This is ridiculous. And
the fact that one can see the message in one format and not another is
freakish.

As far as that "test" post is concerned, my original request was for someone
to private email me replying to that post. I wanted to see if the Bell South
guy's filter worked. Al mailed me, and it came through loud and clear. Now I
need to fuzz up my return address to avoid the spam wash.

Thanks, everyone, for trying to help.

Diana

Grrrr....cabbage whites.... David.WE.Roberts United Kingdom 20 06-08-2013 10:06 AM
Leylandii grrrr Rog United Kingdom 23 26-09-2011 09:09 AM
[IBC] OT-Grrrr! Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 25-10-2005 01:06 AM
tom cats - grrrr Vicky United Kingdom 46 18-04-2004 03:08 PM
OT - computers - grrrr! Sacha United Kingdom 20 07-11-2003 11:24 PM