Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-10-2011, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Not quite OT, Plant hunting

Good evening everyone from a warm South Wales
Managed to get to Longleat despite the directions supplied by Google
Maps, their directions were giberish. .
After the boat trip we did the safari park by car. Not Bad, but not as
good as my safari in East Africa in the mid 60's, but a lot more
condensed.
Left Longleat and despite Googles directions we eventualy found our
stop for the night, Travel Lodge about 7 miles from the nursery I was
visiting today,Pan Global Plants.
Had to eat in the atached Little Chef, What a farce, wanted a drink
with our meal, and they were out of half the brands on their list, "We
only get 1 delivery a week, so nothing for another 3 or 4 days.
I ordered the pie with Mashed potato, Sorry we are out of mash till
the next delivery, same for baked potatoes, just 1 delivery a week.
When I asked why? I was told "They don't like us holding to much
stock.
Very bad night a lot of noise from the room above, then it was like an
oven and no way to cool the room down.
Add to that the wife,s arm was giving her a lot of pain, so I ended up
geting around 2 to 3 hours sleep only.
At around 7am I decided to have a nice relaxing bath........ I hadn't
realised that in the Handicapped rooms the bath is shallow, raised and
just long enough for me to sit in with my legs out straight, or have
them half way up the wall to getr my upper body into the water. So no
soak.
Mrs Taffy went in for a shower and geting out fell and hit her bad arm
and her backside, and was badly shaken. Great start to the day.
Left to get to the nursery 7 miles away aided yet again by Google
maps." turn left from the Hotel, drive 1/2 a mile and at the
roundabout take the 3rd turning onto the A391"....UH! the 3rd turning
is onto the motorway, and so it went, I just went by instinct and took
an extra 3 miles to get to the nursery.
Ouch! So much I wanted, stuff I had never seen any where else. We
spent just over £200, but have come home with some real treasures, I
have 9 Species dahlias from seed collected by Nigel in Mexico a
couple of years ago, a couple of species Impatiens, a lovely Abutilon,
and a couple of other things.
The wife got 2 Monkey Puzzles, not the ordinary one, one is a hybrid
from Argentina.