Old 04-10-2011, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Not quite OT, Plant hunting

On Oct 4, 2:53*pm, "Bill Grey" wrote:

On 2011-10-02 09:00:21 +0100, "Bob Hobden" said:

"Dave Hill" *wrote ((huge snip))

Good evening everyone from a warm South Wales
Managed to get to Longleat despite the directions supplied by Google
Maps, their directions were giberish. .

I have used Google Maps to find places and then see them in "Street
View" so I know what to look for when I get there and find that very
useful. Their directions are probably OK if you stop and check them
every junction but a good SatNav is the way to go.
A SatNav that is clear and concise map is better than those all singing
things which show a fancy picture and therefor make it difficult to
understand at a glance, they also need voice commands. I have used them
since they first came out when all they had was arrows etc, and no map,
probably easier to see/understand too.

I bought Ray our second TomTom for a present this year. *It's improved
on the earlier one we had and we find it extremely useful. *Yes, there
are times when it can be wrong but we've never had any major hiccup. It
seems to find our lanes a bit confusing until it 'gets used' to us going
home the way we know!

Yes, mine is like that. Always want to take me to the village High Street
via a dodgy junction, so I always go the long way. *I also managed to
confuse it when I last went to Bury St Edmunds. *They had ironed out some
nasty bends on the A14 since the last time, and I managed to stun it into
silence when it thought I was driving across fields :-}

It always makes me laugh when that rather tetchy voice says "Turn around
when possible". I swear she's getting crosser each time she says it! *THe
old one had a strange glitch in it which, when we were driving to Westbuy
on Trym, got us to go off the motorway, right round the layout at the top
and back onto the motorway in our original direction!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

*When my wife is in the car with me my sat-nav can't get a word in :-)

*I wonder if it knows where Devon is - I'll be in Torquay in early December.

*Bill

Bill- Hide quoted text -

Easy, down M5 and then turn left some distance after Exeter
Old 04-10-2011, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-10-02 09:00:21 +0100, "Bob Hobden" said:

[...]

Yeah that would be at the Penn roundabout, then several miles of usually
congested driving..

Thanks Dave, I know where Torquay is but does my sat-nav?..:-):-)

Bill

Old 04-10-2011, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-10-02 09:00:21 +0100, "Bob Hobden" said:

[...]

Don't worry Bill :-))

Mine does. Go to Torquay on a regular basis for Royal Naval Reunions.
..
..
..
..
..

Not ""lost"" one yet :-))

Mike

Old 04-10-2011, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2011-10-02 09:00:21 +0100, "Bob Hobden" said:

[...]

I don't doubt it Bill, just offering help to your Sat nav
Old 04-10-2011, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-10-02 09:00:21 +0100, "Bob Hobden" said:

[...]

Much appreciated Dave, I like Emily's voice, but can't stand the Aussie's
accent. My problem is that I don't really need a sat-nav for Souith Wales
except perhaps the eastern valleys, but is nice to know Emily knows the way
if needed. :-)

Bill

Old 04-10-2011, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-10-02 09:00:21 +0100, "Bob Hobden" said:

[...]

Sorry Dave in my reply to the above, I forgot you don't have sat-nav. Emily
is the "English" voice that tells you the way to go. The sat-nave has an
Ausatralian who has an awful accent.

Bill

Old 05-10-2011, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2011-10-02 09:00:21 +0100, "Bob Hobden" said:

[...]

I'd rather maps, I'll happily sit and brows a map for hours, esp
ordinance survey, I can't see me sitting and trying to hold a
conversation with a Sat nav.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 5 Oct 2011 01:00:48 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

I'd rather maps, I'll happily sit and brows a map for hours, esp
ordinance survey, I can't see me sitting and trying to hold a
conversation with a Sat nav.

Today's generation who rely on Sat Navs and do not learn to use maps,
will have a very poor geographic knowledge of our country. Maps are
an essential part of travel for me, though my sight has taken away the
pleasure of browsing them.

Pam in Bristol
Old 05-10-2011, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Old 05-10-2011, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-10-02 09:00:21 +0100, "Bob Hobden" said:

"Dave Hill" wrote ((huge snip))

[...]

I always tell Ray he has two bossy women in the car. ;-)

I wonder if it knows where Devon is - I'll be in Torquay in early
December.

Bill

Drop in if you have time. We'll be here. We only close for two weeks on
the Friday before Christmas Eve.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

I had thought about doing just that. A Bowls break means playing at
sometimes awkward times, but my sat nav should find you if I get the
opportunity.

Regards,

Bill