Old 05-10-2011, 01:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomorrow

My 3 Lawsons Cypr will be felled at the insistence of my neighbour who
claims they are causing cracks in her plaster.
I will vacate the house all day as I don't want to be here.

We used to be friends, but now we will never speak again except with gritted
teeth.

Kind of hedge wars, I suppose.

My poor trees.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 5, 1:02*am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
My 3 Lawsons Cypr will be felled at the insistence of my neighbour who
claims they are causing cracks in her plaster.
I will vacate the house all day as I don't want to be here.

We used to be friends, but now we will never speak again except with gritted
teeth.

Kind of hedge wars, I suppose.

My poor trees.

Look on the bright side. They make good firewood and you can shred
and compost the rest.
It will be a kind of rebirth.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 5 Oct 2011 01:02:41 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

My 3 Lawsons Cypr will be felled at the insistence of my neighbour who
claims they are causing cracks in her plaster.
I will vacate the house all day as I don't want to be here.

We used to be friends, but now we will never speak again except with gritted
teeth.

Kind of hedge wars, I suppose.

My poor trees.

Sorry to hear that Christina.

Is your neighbour aware that removing the trees might cause her house
even more damage from heave?
Old 05-10-2011, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
My 3 Lawsons Cypr will be felled at the insistence of my neighbour who
claims they are causing cracks in her plaster.
I will vacate the house all day as I don't want to be here.

We used to be friends, but now we will never speak again except with
gritted teeth.

Kind of hedge wars, I suppose.

My poor trees.

Conifers have plate roots which o take up a lot of moisture which may or may
not be the cause of your neighbour's broblems. Of course, losing your trees
will be a big disappointment, but will it be as bad as losing a long time
friendship?

As we all get older, big plants like confers can become more amd more of a
liability - more than we an cope with.

Hope things work out for you.

Bill

Old 05-10-2011, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/10/2011 12:46, Bill Grey wrote:

As we all get older, big plants like confers can become more amd more of a
liability - more than we an cope with.

I planted a few Leylandii trees on the border of my property six years
ago. Not a problem to any neighbours as this is the middle of the French
countryside and they are a good distance from anyone. The trees are now
well established and heading skywards.

I've got way too much "lawn" so offered a local farmer the opportunity
to put some cattle in that area, but apparently the Leylandii are
poisonous to cattle. One lives and learns. So I've got to either keep
cutting an unwanted "lawn" or lose the trees so the land can be put to
better use.

Looks like the chainsaw will be put to use this Winter.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote

David in Normandy wrote:

Bill Grey wrote:

As we all get older, big plants like confers can become more amd more of
liability - more than we an cope with.

I planted a few Leylandii trees on the border of my property six years
ago. Not a problem to any neighbours as this is the middle of the French
countryside and they are a good distance from anyone. The trees are now
well established and heading skywards.

I've got way too much "lawn" so offered a local farmer the opportunity
to put some cattle in that area, but apparently the Leylandii are
poisonous to cattle. One lives and learns. So I've got to either keep
cutting an unwanted "lawn" or lose the trees so the land can be put to
better use.

Looks like the chainsaw will be put to use this Winter.

You could put a match to your trees.

Yes, a largish one near here next to the railway caught light and went up
like a torch, I never realised how dangerous, fire wise, they are.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Martin" wrote

David in Normandy wrote:

Bill Grey wrote:

[...]

Have you heard and seen Bay on a bonfire? At my last house we had lots of
Bay and when we trimmed them they were like a fireworks night on the
bonfire.

Mike

Old 05-10-2011, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/05/2011 01:18 PM, David in Normandy wrote:
I've got way too much "lawn" so offered a local farmer the opportunity
to put some cattle in that area, but apparently the Leylandii are
poisonous to cattle. One lives and learns. So I've got to either keep
cutting an unwanted "lawn" or lose the trees so the land can be put to
better use.

You probably know already, but if a farmer pays the "mutuelle agricole"
(a sort of solidarity payment that goes into the farmer's pension fund)
for 2 years running, he has a lifetime of free use of it, including
planting and cutting as he wishes. Basically all you get to do is pay
the taxes... If he decides he wants your 200 year old oaks for
firewood, you can't stop him.

So you can "lend" your land so long as you're paying the mutuelle
yourself; but any "friendly" offer to pay it is at best disingenuous.
And of course if no one pays, i.e. the land has been declared
non-productive "friche", you're in violation and will probably get a
visit from the ever present inspectors.

cheers,

-E

Old 05-10-2011, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 13:18:58 +0200, David in Normandy
wrote:

[...]

Is that an inflamatory remark?....:-)

Bill

Old 05-10-2011, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

news
wrote:

My 3 Lawsons Cypr will be felled at the insistence of my neighbour who
claims they are causing cracks in her plaster.
I will vacate the house all day as I don't want to be here.

We used to be friends, but now we will never speak again except with
gritted
teeth.

Kind of hedge wars, I suppose.

My poor trees.

Sorry to hear that Christina.

Is your neighbour aware that removing the trees might cause her house
even more damage from heave?

In theory, any damage caused by the trees water uptake should be reversed as
the ground rehydrates. I said in theory!
Pete C

Old 05-10-2011, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 16:41:12 +0100, Pete C wrote:

news
wrote:

My 3 Lawsons Cypr will be felled at the insistence of my neighbour who
claims they are causing cracks in her plaster.
I will vacate the house all day as I don't want to be here.

We used to be friends, but now we will never speak again except with
gritted
teeth.

Kind of hedge wars, I suppose.

My poor trees.

Sorry to hear that Christina.

Is your neighbour aware that removing the trees might cause her house
even more damage from heave?

In theory, any damage caused by the trees water uptake should be
reversed as
the ground rehydrates. I said in theory!
Pete C

Unfortunately buildings don't listen to the theory!

If the house has simply tilted in one piece, it will move back in one
piece. But if the foundations have broken apart due to the settlement (and
that is what cracks the walls above them), the separated sections usually
heave back at different rates. You will very likely find that the part
nearest the removed tree rises faster than the rest of the house since its
subsoil will be rehydrated first.
Also if ground material has leached into any vertical gaps in the
foundations, they cannot fully close up again.

I don't wish to worry Christina, but it would be a good idea for her to
check her insurance.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Registered User

Location: Norwich

There was a really interesting program about Leylandi and hedge wars on bbc4 the other night. It is amazing the way different people react to these problems, and how bloody high leylandi can grow!
__________________
http://pot-tastic.co.uk/

We've got lots of pots!
Old 06-10-2011, 04:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

news
wrote:

My 3 Lawsons Cypr will be felled at the insistence of my neighbour who
claims they are causing cracks in her plaster.
I will vacate the house all day as I don't want to be here.

We used to be friends, but now we will never speak again except with
gritted
teeth.

Kind of hedge wars, I suppose.

My poor trees.

Sorry to hear that Christina.

Is your neighbour aware that removing the trees might cause her house
even more damage from heave?

I'm more worried about my my own house from heave, the side and a little bit
of the back of my house was underpinned in 2003 - and it was not because of
my conifers, it's because of the Jurassic clay they are built on.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"RG" wrote in message newsp.v2vzvqnogkcl5l@home1...
On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 16:41:12 +0100, Pete C wrote:

news
wrote:

[...]

No worries about that.
I will now wait for my house to heave ( which it will) and let the two
insurance companies fall out about it between themselves.
My insurance company paid out over 20 grand to underpin my house in 2003 and
it's not likely they will be happy if it heaves. The front of my house will
heave now, guaranteed.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
My 3 Lawsons Cypr will be felled at the insistence of my neighbour who
claims they are causing cracks in her plaster.
I will vacate the house all day as I don't want to be here.

We used to be friends, but now we will never speak again except with
gritted teeth.

Conifers have plate roots which o take up a lot of moisture which may or
may not be the cause of your neighbour's broblems. Of course, losing your
trees will be a big disappointment, but will it be as bad as losing a long
time friendship?

Yes. We now hate each other and the friendship is not retrievable. Never.
Ever. Not in a million years.