Old 07-10-2011, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Identify this Tree

Can someone identify the following tree for me?

http://mrbill.homeip.net/downloads/l...Identified.jpg

The tree is growing in a suburban yard in Sunnyvale, California (San Francisco
Bay Area).

Thanks.

--
Bill Bushnell
http://mrbill.homeip.net/
Old 07-10-2011, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bill Bushnell
writes
Can someone identify the following tree for me?

http://mrbill.homeip.net/downloads/l...Identified.jpg

The tree is growing in a suburban yard in Sunnyvale, California (San Francisco
Bay Area).

Thanks.

This is a UK (United Kingdom) group, so we are not particularly
qualified to identify Californian trees.

However, try Ailanthus.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 07-10-2011, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/7/2011 5:58 PM, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Bill Bushnell
writes
Can someone identify the following tree for me?

http://mrbill.homeip.net/downloads/l...Identified.jpg

The tree is growing in a suburban yard in Sunnyvale, California (San
Francisco
Bay Area).

Thanks.

This is a UK (United Kingdom) group, so we are not particularly
qualified to identify Californian trees.

However, try Ailanthus.

It does look like it.
Grabbing a leaf and crushing would tell for sure - it stinks.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Bill Bushnell
writes
Can someone identify the following tree for me?

http://mrbill.homeip.net/downloads/l...Identified.jpg

The tree is growing in a suburban yard in Sunnyvale, California (San Francisco
Bay Area).

Thanks.

This is a UK (United Kingdom) group, so we are not particularly
qualified to identify Californian trees.

However, try Ailanthus.

Stewart,

Thanks for the name. I believe that is the tree. Apparently it's an invasive
species here in North America as well as in the UK.

Sorry for posting here, but this is the only active gardening group I could find
on my Usenet feed.

--
Bill Bushnell
http://mrbill.homeip.net/
Old 08-10-2011, 12:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bill Bushnell
writes
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Bill Bushnell
writes
Can someone identify the following tree for me?

http://mrbill.homeip.net/downloads/l...Identified.jpg

The tree is growing in a suburban yard in Sunnyvale, California (San
Francisco
Bay Area).

Thanks.

This is a UK (United Kingdom) group, so we are not particularly
qualified to identify Californian trees.

However, try Ailanthus.

Stewart,

Thanks for the name. I believe that is the tree. Apparently it's an invasive
species here in North America as well as in the UK.

Sorry for posting here, but this is the only active gardening group I
could find
on my Usenet feed.

The international/US group is news:rec.gardens. For no obvious reason it
seems to be deny, but there is still a reasonable amount of activity.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 08-10-2011, 12:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
In message , Bill Bushnell
writes
[...]

s/deny/dieing/
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 08-10-2011, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
S Viemeister wrote:
On 10/7/2011 5:58 PM, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Bill Bushnell
writes
Can someone identify the following tree for me?

http://mrbill.homeip.net/downloads/l...Identified.jpg

The tree is growing in a suburban yard in Sunnyvale, California (San
Francisco
Bay Area).

This is a UK (United Kingdom) group, so we are not particularly
qualified to identify Californian trees.

True, but some of us have some clue about such things.

However, try Ailanthus.

It does look like it.
Grabbing a leaf and crushing would tell for sure - it stinks.

The leaves look right, but the bark doesn't, and what may be the
residue of the flowers doesn't, either. And I am afraid that
lots of other leaves stink!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2011-10-07 23:56:27 +0100, Bill Bushnell said:

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Bill Bushnell
writes
Can someone identify the following tree for me?
http://mrbill.homeip.net/downloads/l...Identified.jpg
The tree is growing in a suburban yard in Sunnyvale, California
(San Francisco
Bay Area).
Thanks.

This is a UK (United Kingdom) group, so we are not particularly
qualified to identify Californian trees.

However, try Ailanthus.

Stewart,
Thanks for the name. I believe that is the tree. Apparently it's
an invasive
species here in North America as well as in the UK.
Sorry for posting here, but this is the only active gardening group
I could find
on my Usenet feed.

I think its nickname is Tree of Heaven.

Also, because of its invasive nature in some places, unpleasant odour,
and suckering, Tree of Hell.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 08-10-2011, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/8/2011 4:41 AM, wrote:
S wrote:
On 10/7/2011 5:58 PM, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
writes
Can someone identify the following tree for me?

http://mrbill.homeip.net/downloads/l...Identified.jpg

The tree is growing in a suburban yard in Sunnyvale, California (San
Francisco Bay Area).

This is a UK (United Kingdom) group, so we are not particularly
qualified to identify Californian trees.

True, but some of us have some clue about such things.

However, try Ailanthus.

It does look like it.
Grabbing a leaf and crushing would tell for sure - it stinks.

The leaves look right, but the bark doesn't, and what may be the
residue of the flowers doesn't, either. And I am afraid that
lots of other leaves stink!

Perhaps a better photo would help to clarify.
I'm currently in the US (east coast) and there are a number of stinky
Ailanthus in the area which look very like that one.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/8/2011 4:49 AM, Sacha wrote:

I think its nickname is Tree of Heaven.

In my family, we've always called it Poverty Tree - it seeds itself
everywhere, and is particularly noticeable in poor, neglected, rundown
inner-city areas.
It grows in vacant lots, in cracks in the pavement, in rain gutters,
between bricks in walls, it crowds out more attractive plants along
motorways...

I hate it.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-10-08 14:21:33 +0100, S Viemeister said:
On 10/8/2011 4:49 AM, Sacha wrote:
I think its nickname is Tree of Heaven.

In my family, we've always called it Poverty Tree - it seeds itself
everywhere, and is particularly noticeable in poor, neglected, rundown
inner-city areas.
It grows in vacant lots, in cracks in the pavement, in rain gutters,
between bricks in walls, it crowds out more attractive plants along
motorways...

I hate it.

The nickname came about because of its great height, I think. It's
amazing how many things are one country's weed and another's cherished
plant. We grow and sell Lonicera involucrata and I believe it's regarded
as a real nuisance in parts of USA. That's just one example of many, of
course!

When I returned to the UK after many years away, I was
amazed/astounded/horrified to see that the Botanical Gardens in
Edinburgh featured Ailanthus!
Lythrum salicaria (Purple loosestrife) is causing problems in parts of
the US, where it is out-competing native plants.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote

Bill Bushnell writes
Can someone identify the following tree for me?

http://mrbill.homeip.net/downloads/l...Identified.jpg

The tree is growing in a suburban yard in Sunnyvale, California (San
Francisco
Bay Area).

This is a UK (United Kingdom) group, so we are not particularly qualified
to identify Californian trees.

However, try Ailanthus.

This is geared towards the UK but there are regulars on here from elsewhere
in the world including the US who make good contributions to our
discussions. Welcome Bill.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
S Viemeister wrote:

When I returned to the UK after many years away, I was
amazed/astounded/horrified to see that the Botanical Gardens in
Edinburgh featured Ailanthus!
Lythrum salicaria (Purple loosestrife) is causing problems in parts of
the US, where it is out-competing native plants.

The UK has almost certainly the most resilient ecology in the world,
when it comes to invasive land plants. Excluding the politically
correct blithering, the only two that have caused significant
trouble have been Japanese knotweed and (in a VERY few areas)
Rhododendron ponticum. The reason is, of course, that almost
all our plant and animal species have arrived in the past 11,000
years. Similarly, almost all endangerment of our 'native' species
has been due to habitat loss or destruction, followed by the loss
of predators which has caused the woodland deer and grey squirrel
populations to rocket.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bill Grey wrote:

The UK has almost certainly the most resilient ecology in the world,
when it comes to invasive land plants. Excluding the politically
correct blithering, the only two that have caused significant
trouble have been Japanese knotweed and (in a VERY few areas)
Rhododendron ponticum. ...

Not forgetting Himalayan Balsam

Precisely. As I said.

The fact that something is highly invasive under certain conditions
does not make it ecologically, economically or otherwise harmful.
There may be a few places in the UK where it has caused significant
harm, but I have never seen it do so and never seen any definite
evidence that it has done so.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.