Old 08-10-2011, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Identify this Tree

On 10/8/2011 11:42 AM, Sacha wrote:

Like the lupins 'escaping' in NZ. They're regarded as a pest there but
to the tourists, they're a sight of real beauty.

I love lupines, and have lots of them in my garden in Sutherland, but
I've had poor luck trying to grow them in the US - they rarely last more
than 3 years.
To grow them in Sutherland, all I have to do is scatter a few seeds, or
dig up and transplant 'volunteers' from the gravel around the house, and
they come back year after year after year...
Old 10-10-2011, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
Also, because of its invasive nature in some places, unpleasant odour,
and suckering, Tree of Hell.

I've got a fairly large one of these in the garden and it is rather
attractive at times. Particularly in spring, looking up through its
leaves/branches you get a lovely dappled, twinkling vista. We get no
seedlings (I think its male) and only two suckers that I can recall.

Very 'architectural' branches too - big and long, making it look like an
excellent tree for those with a tree climbing bent. However, I think
the wood itself is really light and subject to breaking so I wouldn't
actually try (even if I weren't past such things anyway).

The main problem is the mess that it makes. It seems to drop stuff more
often than most trees. Flower cases; flowers, leaves and leave
'branches'. It seems to be the dead flowers that smell the worst,
particularly when wet. A very odd smell - not pleasant but not actively
vile.

Eating outside is not very pleasant when the flowers are falling - they
get in everything.

Actually, no - the main problem is birds (particularly pigeons, rooks
and magpies) crapping all over the patio They find it a grand tree to
perch in. Which I'm surprised at, as my Bengal finds it a fantastic
tree to hurtle up.

--
regards andyw
Old 12-10-2011, 01:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens

S Viemeister wrote:
On 10/8/2011 4:41 AM, wrote:
S wrote:
On 10/7/2011 5:58 PM, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
writes
Can someone identify the following tree for me?

http://mrbill.homeip.net/downloads/l...Identified.jpg

The tree is growing in a suburban yard in Sunnyvale, California (San
Francisco Bay Area).

This is a UK (United Kingdom) group, so we are not particularly
qualified to identify Californian trees.

True, but some of us have some clue about such things.

However, try Ailanthus.

It does look like it.
Grabbing a leaf and crushing would tell for sure - it stinks.

The leaves look right, but the bark doesn't, and what may be the
residue of the flowers doesn't, either. And I am afraid that
lots of other leaves stink!

Perhaps a better photo would help to clarify.
I'm currently in the US (east coast) and there are a number of stinky
Ailanthus in the area which look very like that one.

I wanted to learn what kind of tree this was because I believe my next-door neighbors are
growing one or have allowed a volunteer to grow in their garden. Normally I would not be
too concerned, but in this case I have solar panels on my roof that are starting to become
shaded by this tree. The lost energy generation is not much right now, about 1.5kwh/day,
but the loss will only increase as the tree grows larger.

I put together a short photo album showing their tree (first three photos) and a different
mature tree that I posted earlier.:

http://mrbill.homeip.net/albums/ailanthusAltissima/

Solar panel shading during afternoon insolation from the neighbors' Ailanthus:

http://mrbill.homeip.net/albums/sola...ow.2011.06.20/

My next step is to discuss this with my neighbors. Their tree is not an ugly tree, and I
suspect they rather like the shade it provides, so they may resist the idea of removing it
and planting something different in its stead.

With such a fast-growing tree that when mature can be 40m tall, is trimming a practical
solution?

Does anyone have additional advice?

Thanks.

--
Bill Bushnell
http://mrbill.homeip.net/

Old 12-10-2011, 03:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens

Frank Tyson wrote:
I was wondering if you could tell me a little more about this group?
Thanks!

Which group (this thread is posted to two)? What do you want to know?

David
Old 12-10-2011, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens

In article , Bill Bushnell
writes
With such a fast-growing tree that when mature can be 40m tall, is trimming a practical
solution?

Does anyone have additional advice?

The one in my garden (UK) looks a bit different - perhaps not quite as
tall as the Sunnyvale example, but with a much bigger trunk and crown. A
lot of the branches seem more horizontal in aspect rather than the
comparatively vertical in your pics. This seems to have helped it have
a much more open crown, thus spreading wider rather than grwoing so
tall.

Might be the weather; might be a different variety; might be sex?

Anyway, we tend to have it trimmed every couple of years which seems to
encourage the spread rather than the height and open out the crown.

The other thing is that it looks rather close to the neighbour's house.
If it was my house, I wouldn't want it there. Mine is about 20' from
the house - but also on ground 5' higher than the house.

--
regards andyw