Old 27-10-2011, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Co-workers on allotments

New idea to me - but makes sense for people struggling to cope with a
plot.

Anyone use this scheme/have used it/heard of anyone using it?

Brighton and Hove, Worthing and some others use it.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 27-10-2011, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote ...

New idea to me - but makes sense for people struggling to cope with a
plot.

Anyone use this scheme/have used it/heard of anyone using it?

Brighton and Hove, Worthing and some others use it.

Could you explain what the scheme is or give us a link?
--
Regards Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup from the W. of London UK

Old 27-10-2011, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 17:07:07 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"mogga" wrote ...

New idea to me - but makes sense for people struggling to cope with a
plot.

Anyone use this scheme/have used it/heard of anyone using it?

Brighton and Hove, Worthing and some others use it.

Could you explain what the scheme is or give us a link?

http://www.worthingallotments.co.uk/Page12.htm

Co-worker Scheme

New “Co-Worker” Initiative

Worthing Borough Council has recently introduced a “Co-Worker”
initiative. Firstly I’d like to stress that tenants cannot assign,
sublet the whole or part of their allotment.

However, a tenant may now share the cultivation with another party by
registering a named person as a co-worker. Co-workers must sign a
co-worker agreement, which has to be countersigned by the tenant and
sent to the Continental Landscapes. Agreements are available from
Continental Landscapes, overseers or from our allotment stores.

Co-workers will have the authority to tend the allotment plot on their
own. Co-workers will also have the right to be in a possession of an
allotment gate key. Co-workers are obliged to abide by the Allotment
Rules and Conditions. Any breaches of the Allotment Rules and
Conditions will result in a review of the tenancy. The tenant
therefore is responsible for the co-worker’s actions at all times and
both would have to vacate the plot if the tenancy was terminated.

Co-workers or tenants may end a co-working agreement at any time but
only the tenant can relinquish the plot. The Council or Continental
Landscapes must be informed in writing in either case. Should the
tenant decide to relinquish the plot, preferential consideration will
be given to the named co-worker's having first refusal of taking over
the tenancy, but only if they have been a recognised co-worker for at
least twelve months. It is the responsibility of the tenant to inform
the Council or Continental Landscapes if it is proposed that the
Tenancy of the plot is transferred to a named co-worker; however, any
proposal to transfer a tenancy to a co-worker must ultimately be
agreed by the Council or Continental Landscapes.

and
http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/inde...quest=c1226516
Tenants can share cultivation by registering a co-worker on their
plot. Co-workers are issued keys and are allowed to work on the
relevant plot without supervision. Co-workers have no legal tenancy
rights and are not responsible for any part of the annual rent.
Subletting to co-workers is not permitted, please note that co-workers
must be registered with the council.

I've just read Minding your peas and cucumber by Kay Seaton and she's
been a co-worker on a few plots. Basically lots of work, taking a
share of crops and not having any security of tenure on the plot in
question.

It's an interesting idea - and perhaps a good way to judge how keen
someone is.

Our brand new plots (aka a field full of weeds and rubbish) are very
hard work and some of the people who have signed up have discovered
that it's a lot harder than they thought.

A co-worker would perhaps be a way to get the plots in good shape
without splitting them up further. (Although splitting them up might
be a good idea and actually have two separate half plots instead)

It would be a nice way of discovering who had the stamina for a plot
too!

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Old 27-10-2011, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 17:10:56 +0100, Janet wrote:

Anyone use this scheme/have used it/heard of anyone using it?

Not quite, but I have shared a communal organic veg plot; two other
couples and us. The communal effort lasted one year (though one person
still does it by himself).
Many years previously I'd had my own successful allotment and IME plot
share is very different. It's like gardening by committee where every
minorly different POV/agenda has to be discussed and compromised; even
stuff like if and when to water. There are inevitable differences of
energy, strength, stamina, tastes in food, experience, and in particular;
"degrees of organicness".

We have three plots split in half.
Two are split down the middle and each person is solely in charge of
their half.
The third was done collectively between two brothers as one plot.

Guess which one has caused a falling out.

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 27-10-2011, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 18:50:35 +0100, Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:

Having been taken to the proverbial cleaners by a so-called (now
former) friend this year, I would never enter into any shared
allotment arrangement ever, ever again. Possibly splitting an
allotment in half and two people taking a half each is ok but working
one together is a potential disaster in my experience.

Having put in 50% of the seed cost (plus a load of strawberry runners)
and 75%+ of the labour, I got less than 20% of the harvest. To cap it
all, having paid half the rent I found the other week that he'd
negotiated half rent for this year because the plot hadn't been worked
for ages and needed a lot of clearing (which I did). So I paid all the
b****y rent as well!!!

He paid the rent for the next 12 months at the beginning of October
and then asked me for half. I told him where to go. The Secretary
thinks he'll either give up the plot when he has to work it on his own
or will not keep it up to standard and be chucked off. In either
event, that plot will be mine. Otherwise, I'm on the waiting list.

Fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed for you too

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 28-10-2011, 07:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 27, 6:53*pm, mogga wrote:
On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 17:07:07 +0100, "Bob Hobden"

"mogga" *wrote ...

andhttp://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/index.cfm?request=c1226516
[...]

Jeez. Let the administrators in and see what happens.
It can hardly be economically viable to own an allotment.
Old 28-10-2011, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote

Jeez. Let the administrators in and see what happens.
It can hardly be economically viable to own an allotment.

Certainly isn't around here, for a working age person it's over £100 per
year for 10 sq rods, half price for us pensioners. We treat it as our hobby
so it's a lot cheaper than golf. :-)

Old 28-10-2011, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 12:39:28 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"harry" wrote

Jeez. Let the administrators in and see what happens.
It can hardly be economically viable to own an allotment.

Certainly isn't around here, for a working age person it's over £100 per
year for 10 sq rods, half price for us pensioners. We treat it as our hobby
so it's a lot cheaper than golf. :-)

Ours will be cheap as chips once we are self-managed and have paid the
legal bills for that.
Thats the theory anyway.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Old 28-10-2011, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 28, 12:39*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"harry" *wrote

Jeez. Let the administrators in and see what happens.
It can hardly be economically viable to own an allotment.

Certainly isn't around here, for a working age person it's over 100 per
year for 10 sq rods, half price for us pensioners. We treat it as our hobby
so it's a lot cheaper than golf. :-)
--
Regards *Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup from the W. of London UK

I'd have thought it was cheaper to borrow a bit of someone's garden.
Old 28-10-2011, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote..

"Bob Hobden"
"harry" wrote

Jeez. Let the administrators in and see what happens.
It can hardly be economically viable to own an allotment.

Certainly isn't around here, for a working age person it's over 100 per
year for 10 sq rods, half price for us pensioners. We treat it as our
hobby
so it's a lot cheaper than golf. :-)

I'd have thought it was cheaper to borrow a bit of someone's garden.

No security of tenure though. Would I have improved the soil and done other
things like remove larger stones and planted cherry trees and soft fruit
without that security, doubtful.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet writes
Furthermore, if an allotment authority is of the opinion that there is a
demand for allotments in its area, it is required under Section 23 of the
Small Holdings and Allotments Act 1908, to provide a sufficient number of
allotments and to let them to persons residing in its area who want them."

That sounds a bit of daft logic Janet, in other words they have to tell
themselves (so they can be of the opinion) that allotments are wanted in
order for them to then be compulsorily made to provide some for locals?

Surely this allows councils to say that they aren't of the opinion?
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 01-11-2011, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote

Janet writes
Furthermore, if an allotment authority is of the opinion that there is a
demand for allotments in its area, it is required under Section 23 of the
Small Holdings and Allotments Act 1908, to provide a sufficient number of
allotments and to let them to persons residing in its area who want them."

That sounds a bit of daft logic Janet, in other words they have to tell
themselves (so they can be of the opinion) that allotments are wanted in
order for them to then be compulsorily made to provide some for locals?

Surely this allows councils to say that they aren't of the opinion?

From memory if seven or more people in an area demand allotments then the
Council has to do something about it.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 18:39:58 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Janet Tweedy" wrote

Janet writes
Furthermore, if an allotment authority is of the opinion that there is a
demand for allotments in its area, it is required under Section 23 of the
Small Holdings and Allotments Act 1908, to provide a sufficient number of
allotments and to let them to persons residing in its area who want them."

That sounds a bit of daft logic Janet, in other words they have to tell
themselves (so they can be of the opinion) that allotments are wanted in
order for them to then be compulsorily made to provide some for locals?

Surely this allows councils to say that they aren't of the opinion?

From memory if seven or more people in an area demand allotments then the
Council has to do something about it.

6!

Doesn't mean they can magic land or money up though... But it can and
does happen that new allotments are made
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk