Old 09-11-2011, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default More B..... Rain

Just when I had got going lifting the dahlias and the soil was drying
out to make the job almost possible we are having more heavy rain with
more forecast for tomorrow.
I'm already finding rot in quite a few tubers, this is just what I
don't want.
David
Old 10-11-2011, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Nov 9, 5:57*pm, Dave Hill wrote:
Just when I had got going lifting the dahlias and the soil was drying
out to make the job almost possible we are having more heavy rain with
more forecast for tomorrow.
I'm already finding rot in quite a few tubers, this is just what I
don't want.
David

Well today started bright and sunny and the temp has gone up to 58f in
the shade, quite a bit more in the sun out the field, got to feel hot
lifting dahlias, some so wet the soil is clinging , othere not to bad,
better than I expected after an inch of rain yesterday, but then this
is the wet end of Swansea bay.
David
Old 10-11-2011, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/11/2011 13:30, Dave Hill wrote:
On Nov 9, 5:57 pm, Dave wrote:
Just when I had got going lifting the dahlias and the soil was drying
out to make the job almost possible we are having more heavy rain with
more forecast for tomorrow.
I'm already finding rot in quite a few tubers, this is just what I
don't want.
David

Well today started bright and sunny and the temp has gone up to 58f in
the shade, quite a bit more in the sun out the field, got to feel hot
lifting dahlias, some so wet the soil is clinging , othere not to bad,
better than I expected after an inch of rain yesterday, but then this
is the wet end of Swansea bay.
David

It seems to me to have been quite an unusual rain pattern this year. We
have had quite long spells of drizzle but little actual rain (a nearby
pond is still almost completely dry), whereas a few miles away they have
been inundated with the wet stuff.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 9, 5:57 pm, Dave wrote:
[...]

My daughter and son in law's large pond, fed by a natural stream before it
overflows into the Village Pond, has dried out to such an extent, that they
have the builders in at present, re-building the banks, because when we had
all of the rain a while back, the banks were undercut and collapsed!!!!!

But it is a large pond in a landscaped and walled garden ;-))

Mike

Old 12-11-2011, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Nov 10, 4:13*pm, Moonraker wrote:
[...]

Half an inch yesterday, we were lucky the main rain belt was a couple
of miles west of us, but today when I went out the field water was
lying everywhere, footprints in the soil were full of water.

Old 13-11-2011, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 10:58:08 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill
wrote:

[...]

Here at the (so-called) dryer end I think we had more rain than you on
Friday - steady and heavy all day. But yesterday and today lovely and
sunny and the ground's draining nicely. I'll probably be ok to walk
all over the grass to cut it tomorrow. You must have really heavy soil
at your end.

Cheers, Jake
Proud to be a member of the Taffy Trio
along with Dave and Bill, especially as
the East End, where I'm at, is the drier one
Old 14-11-2011, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:

[...]

The last rain we had in Zuid Holland was two weeks ago and that was
drizzle.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

What a great thought, 2 weeks with no rain, though yesterday we did
get a high temp of 62f in the shade.
David