Old 11-11-2011, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gooseberry. How can I prevent mildew next year?

I have had many, many problems since I started gardening and the only one
left is mildew on my gooseberries.
I have only had one year with edible 'gogs, the rest have been covered in
mildew.
I have tried pruning to keep the air folwing, not feeding, feeding with
potash, not feeding with potash.

My own conclusion is to dig them up and try with new, but before I do that
I was hoping sonebody in the group would advise me.
With this stubborn problem I am not against using chemicals as a resort.

Thanks
Baz
Old 11-11-2011, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 12:08:00 GMT, Baz wrote:

I have had many, many problems since I started gardening and the only one
left is mildew on my gooseberries.
I have only had one year with edible 'gogs, the rest have been covered in
mildew.
I have tried pruning to keep the air folwing, not feeding, feeding with
potash, not feeding with potash.

My own conclusion is to dig them up and try with new, but before I do that
I was hoping sonebody in the group would advise me.
With this stubborn problem I am not against using chemicals as a resort.

As you have demonstrated, it's all about airflow. You have done all
the right things, so I'm wondering about the site. Are your bushes in
a sheltered spot under a wall or hedge? Try planting in a most exposed
site if you have one, where the breeze can blow through.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/11/2011 01:31 PM, Fuschia wrote:
On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 12:08:00 GMT, Baz wrote:

I have had many, many problems since I started gardening and the only one
left is mildew on my gooseberries.
I have only had one year with edible 'gogs, the rest have been covered in
mildew.
I have tried pruning to keep the air folwing, not feeding, feeding with
potash, not feeding with potash.

My own conclusion is to dig them up and try with new, but before I do that
I was hoping sonebody in the group would advise me.
With this stubborn problem I am not against using chemicals as a resort.

As you have demonstrated, it's all about airflow. You have done all
the right things, so I'm wondering about the site. Are your bushes in
a sheltered spot under a wall or hedge? Try planting in a most exposed
site if you have one, where the breeze can blow through.

I had mine in a very exposed site, still got terrible mildew problems.

2 yrs ago gave up, dug it all out and put in resistant varieties. Still
small and not much fruit, but no mildew spotted either.

-E
Old 11-11-2011, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/11/2011 12:08, Baz wrote:
I have had many, many problems since I started gardening and the only one
left is mildew on my gooseberries.
I have only had one year with edible 'gogs, the rest have been covered in
mildew.
I have tried pruning to keep the air folwing, not feeding, feeding with
potash, not feeding with potash.

My own conclusion is to dig them up and try with new, but before I do that
I was hoping sonebody in the group would advise me.
With this stubborn problem I am not against using chemicals as a resort.

Thanks
Baz

We grow "invicata" and mildew is not a problem even against a fence
(gooseberry sawfly however......)

Paul
Old 11-11-2011, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
lid (Fuschia) wrote:

As you have demonstrated, it's all about airflow. You have done all
the right things, so I'm wondering about the site. Are your bushes in
a sheltered spot under a wall or hedge?

I believe different varieties have different susceptibility. I grow
'Leveller' without trouble in a very sheltered spot.

Useful reading:
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=739

Steve Harris - Cheltenham - To get my real address, remove one fruit

Old 11-11-2011, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 11, 12:08*pm, Baz wrote:
I have had many, many problems since I started gardening and the only one
left is mildew on my gooseberries.
I have only had one year with edible 'gogs, the rest have been covered in
mildew.
I have tried pruning to keep the air folwing, not feeding, feeding with
potash, not feeding with potash.

My own conclusion is to dig them up and try with new, but before I do that
I was hoping sonebody in the group would advise me.
With this stubborn problem I am not against using chemicals as a resort.

Thanks
Baz

Varieties like Pax & Invicta have some resistance.
Mildewed fruits are edible - a pain to deal with however. Just slide
the ball of your thumb over the mould using firm pressure and it peels
off.

Rod
Old 12-11-2011, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Fuschia wrote in
:

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 12:08:00 GMT, Baz wrote:

I have had many, many problems since I started gardening and the only
one left is mildew on my gooseberries.
I have only had one year with edible 'gogs, the rest have been covered
in mildew.
I have tried pruning to keep the air folwing, not feeding, feeding
with potash, not feeding with potash.

My own conclusion is to dig them up and try with new, but before I do
that I was hoping sonebody in the group would advise me.
With this stubborn problem I am not against using chemicals as a
resort.

As you have demonstrated, it's all about airflow. You have done all
the right things, so I'm wondering about the site. Are your bushes in
a sheltered spot under a wall or hedge? Try planting in a most exposed
site if you have one, where the breeze can blow through.

My bushes are in an exposed position.

A chap suggested to me that I should water them at the base only, which
makes sense.

I am going to leave them for now but buy a couple of new ones to start.

Thanks
Baz

when mildew isn't mildew T[_4_] Edible Gardening 1 16-08-2016 06:09 AM
Can seeds be used next year? dgk Lawns 7 03-02-2011 10:26 PM
Preventing American mildew in Gooseberry davholla Edible Gardening 0 25-06-2007 10:51 AM
Will next year's sunflowers grow from this year's roots? [email protected] United Kingdom 2 24-09-2006 08:20 PM
Can I prevent the spread of moss in my lawn in winter? mandyp United Kingdom 0 15-01-2004 12:04 PM