Old 14-11-2011, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Weather stations

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 18:21:23 +0000, wrote:

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 17:16:59 -0000, "'Mike'"
wrote:

"Another John" wrote in message
I just bought the Aldi weather station this week (18.99), but it will
have to go back I'm afraid, because it's not measuring the outside
humidity properly.

However I've also discovered, to my surprise - nay, amazement - that it
only appears to measure the range 0 to 70 deg C. Nothing below 0 is no
good to people who live Oop North! I want to know if it's -1, or -10
out there!

Any recommendations for such a weather station? I'm not looking for
anything sophisticated, and (correct me if I'm wrong) I would probably
be happy with only the temperature (humidity can usually be judged by
looking out of the window, IME).

Cheers
John

Can't help you John, I just look outside.

However, I would be interested to know if it has an outdoor sensor and if it
works through such things as leaded light windows or the like. An OP here a
short while ago failed to answer my questions, perhaps you are more
courteous.

Kindest regards

Mike

FWIW, I procured a multi-sensor digital thermometer from he

http://www.weathershop.co.uk/

Works at 868 MHz. Measures temperature at the receiver and comes with
two remote sensors. One of which is attached to the outside of my
conservatory, the other is in the greenhouse waaay down the garden.
The batteries that were supplied with it couldn't handle summer
temperatures and died. Outdoor operation is (allegedly) down to -39 F
which is conveniently around -39 C. Not sure how the batteries will
hang in there though...

Regards
JonH

which model did you buy?
--
(º•.¸(¨*•.¸ ¸.•*¨)¸.•º)
.•°•. Nik .•°•.
Old 14-11-2011, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

On the back of the indoor unit it states:

Technoline Ltd
WS-9122-IT

Which stacks up with the Shipping Notice. Bought it in January 2009.

Regards
JonH
Old 14-11-2011, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

FWIW, I procured a multi-sensor digital thermometer from he

http://www.weathershop.co.uk/

Works at 868 MHz. Measures temperature at the receiver and comes with
two remote sensors. One of which is attached to the outside of my
conservatory, the other is in the greenhouse waaay down the garden.

It's a pity none of the cheap weather stations seem to work with WiFi.
It would be nice to see the temperatures on the computer.

Incidentally, I have an old Lidl weather station which works well
except that the LEDs have become so dim
that they are more or less invisible.
I wonder if there is any way of making them brighter?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
Old 14-11-2011, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 21:19:50 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

It's a pity none of the cheap weather stations seem to work with WiFi.
It would be nice to see the temperatures on the computer.

Would add a whole new sub-system to be "general public user
friendly". It would need a TCP/IP stack, web server and processor
capable of handling that. I suspect that these cheap weather stations
just have a "weather station chip" rather than a GP processor
suitably programmed.

Incidentally, I have an old Lidl weather station which works well
except that the LEDs have become so dim that they are more or less
invisible.

LEDs, going dim, not heard of that, they temd to work or not work. Do
you really mean LEDs? They tend to be power hungry and all the
weather stations I have seen have LCD displays. The latter can lose
contrast with age, there *might* be a contrast adjustment inside.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 15-11-2011, 01:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 21:19:50 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

It's a pity none of the cheap weather stations seem to work with WiFi.
It would be nice to see the temperatures on the computer.

Would add a whole new sub-system to be "general public user
friendly". It would need a TCP/IP stack, web server and processor
capable of handling that. I suspect that these cheap weather stations
just have a "weather station chip" rather than a GP processor
suitably programmed.

Maybe a Bluetooth chip?
There seem to be very cheap devices now with Bluetooth in them.

Incidentally, I have an old Lidl weather station which works well
except that the LEDs have become so dim that they are more or less
invisible.

LEDs, going dim, not heard of that, they temd to work or not work. Do
you really mean LEDs? They tend to be power hungry and all the
weather stations I have seen have LCD displays. The latter can lose
contrast with age, there *might* be a contrast adjustment inside.

Could perfectly well be LCD displays.
I'm not too clear on the difference.
Is there any way of reviving an ancient LCD display?

Old 15-11-2011, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 01:52:05 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

It's a pity none of the cheap weather stations seem to work with

WiFi.
It would be nice to see the temperatures on the computer.

Would add a whole new sub-system to be "general public user
friendly". It would need a TCP/IP stack, web server and processor
capable of handling that. I suspect that these cheap weather

stations
just have a "weather station chip" rather than a GP processor
suitably programmed.

Maybe a Bluetooth chip?

Well it would provide the radio part but you'd still need a processor
capable of running a TCP/IP stack and webserver. One could dispense
with teh web server and use a host PC to establish a connections to
or from the Wx station to get the data and then provide the data
processing and web server but how many ordinary users have a web
server on their PC? To be useable for the masses the Wx station would
require to just coonect to the local lan configure itself and then be
contactable via a web interface.

LEDs, going dim, not heard of that, they temd to work or not work.

Do
you really mean LEDs? They tend to be power hungry and all the
weather stations I have seen have LCD displays. The latter can

lose
contrast with age, there *might* be a contrast adjustment inside.

Could perfectly well be LCD displays.
I'm not too clear on the difference.

LEDs are Light Emmiting Diodes, they emit light from the segments
that make up a character or indicator. LCDs reley on a reflective
backing and or a backlight that illuminates the entire display area
with the segments appear black against the backlight. Some LCD
displays are the inverse, a generally black background through which
the black shows for the charcter segments.

Is there any way of reviving an ancient LCD display?

There might be a contrast adjustment inside the unit.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 15-11-2011, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/11/2011 08:51, Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Actually the high power LEDs do dim a bit with age. The light flux out
of the junction is strong enough that combined with the thermal load it
will denature the clear epoxy plastic of the packaging. Not normally a
problem with ordinary display indicator LEDs though.

Do
you really mean LEDs? They tend to be power hungry and all the
weather stations I have seen have LCD displays. The latter can

lose
contrast with age, there *might* be a contrast adjustment inside.

Could perfectly well be LCD displays.
I'm not too clear on the difference.

LEDs are Light Emmiting Diodes, they emit light from the segments
that make up a character or indicator. LCDs reley on a reflective
backing and or a backlight that illuminates the entire display area
with the segments appear black against the backlight. Some LCD
displays are the inverse, a generally black background through which
the black shows for the charcter segments.

Is there any way of reviving an ancient LCD display?

There might be a contrast adjustment inside the unit.

Although usually swapping the battery for a fresh one will be good
enough to restore sufficient LCD display contrast. If the LCD display is
so old that its liquid crystals have given up the ghost then there is
not much you can do about it. The LCD strip thermometers tend to fail
that way either showing every temperature or none.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown