Old 09-12-2011, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Brazil nuts - Walnuts

Hello
I am searching for the brazil nuts - walnuts that are still in the shell

The pre shelled nuts have been boiled to remove the shells and have
lost their vitamin and mineral content

I am looking in the Truo area Cornwall - even nuts by post would be
of help

These nuts have a medicinal effect which help me with my vitamin

deficiencies

T.I.A. ..........................Leslie
Old 09-12-2011, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Therefore wrote:
I am searching for the brazil nuts - walnuts that are still in the shell

I'm confused - are you looking for brazil nuts or walnuts?
I've seen self-serve mixed nuts still in their shells in most supermarkets
recently, in with the fresh fruit/veg section
Old 09-12-2011, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Therefore wrote:

Hello
I am searching for the brazil nuts - walnuts that are still in the
shell

The pre shelled nuts have been boiled to remove the shells and have
lost their vitamin and mineral content

I am looking in the Truo area Cornwall - even nuts by post would be
of help

These nuts have a medicinal effect which help me with my vitamin

deficiencies

Sales of Brazil nuts in their shells have been banned for several years
now:
http://www.elixirnews.com/news/brazi...ommission.html

--
Chris
Old 09-12-2011, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"CT" wrote
Sales of Brazil nuts in their shells have been banned for several
years now:
http://www.elixirnews.com/news/brazi...ommission.html

That may have been so in 2004 (or was it one of those yes we'll have no
bent banana stories?) but you can certainly buy whole Brazils now. I
bought loose mixed nuts in their shells, including Brazils, only
yesterday.
--
Sue

Old 09-12-2011, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Sue wrote:

"CT" wrote
Sales of Brazil nuts in their shells have been banned for several
years now:

http://www.elixirnews.com/news/brazi...ommission.html

That may have been so in 2004 (or was it one of those yes we'll have
no bent banana stories?) but you can certainly buy whole Brazils now.
I bought loose mixed nuts in their shells, including Brazils, only
yesterday.

I stand to be corrected, either on the ban itself or simply that some
traders are flouting it, if it does exist!.

I know I haven't seen them in the supermarket for a while, and Googling
for "brazil nut shells" just brought up a load of "they're banned"
stories. Maybe Google has taken the Daily Mail as a sponsor!

--
Chris

Old 09-12-2011, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , CT
writes
Sue wrote:

"CT" wrote
Sales of Brazil nuts in their shells have been banned for several
years now:

http://www.elixirnews.com/news/brazi...ommission.html

That may have been so in 2004 (or was it one of those yes we'll have
no bent banana stories?) but you can certainly buy whole Brazils now.
I bought loose mixed nuts in their shells, including Brazils, only
yesterday.

I stand to be corrected, either on the ban itself or simply that some
traders are flouting it, if it does exist!.

Did you read it? that linked doesn't say they are/were banned (ignore
the headline)

It just says that Brazils nuts in shells from Brazil need to be tested
for Aflatoxin, and possibly a very stringent level.

Assuming it is still in force, then nuts from other countries aren't
affected, or possibly they have been tested and are fine.
--
Chris French

Old 09-12-2011, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 15:18:13 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 11:20:41 -0000, "Therefore"
wrote:

Hello
I am searching for the brazil nuts - walnuts that are still in the shell

The pre shelled nuts have been boiled to remove the shells and have
lost their vitamin and mineral content

I am looking in the Truo area Cornwall - even nuts by post would be
of help

These nuts have a medicinal effect which help me with my vitamin

deficiencies

T.I.A. ..........................Leslie

I eat both brazils and walnuts, bought pre-shelled from my local
health food store. Where did you get the idea that they've been boiled
to remove the shells? It seems highly unlikely to me.

Damp will stop nut shelling machine working. The manually operated
Universal Nut Sheller won't work with nuts that are anything but bone
dry. The modern horizontal powered version is basically the same but
it uses a drum separator rather than lots of fingers! I saw one
working at a factory near where I lived when I was a kid on a job
hunting tour.

Steve

--
Neural network software applications, help and support.

Neural Network Software. www.npsl1.com
EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com

Old 09-12-2011, 05:01 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therefore[_2_] View Post
Hello
I am searching for the brazil nuts - walnuts that are still in the shell

The pre shelled nuts have been boiled to remove the shells and have
lost their vitamin and mineral content

I am looking in the Truo area Cornwall - even nuts by post would be
of help
In the short term - they're particularly a Christmas thing, so try all the supermarkets. They're certainly in Morrisons. Buy as big a stock as you are confident of being able to keep (bearing in mind nuts, if they go off, seem to have a particularly nasty range of moulds)

Sorry - that doesn't help you for longer term buying.
__________________
Old 09-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therefore[_2_] View Post
Hello
I am searching for the brazil nuts - walnuts that are still in the shell

The pre shelled nuts have been boiled to remove the shells and have
lost their vitamin and mineral content

I am looking in the Truo area Cornwall - even nuts by post would be
of help

These nuts have a medicinal effect which help me with my vitamin

deficiencies

T.I.A. ..........................Leslie
Hi Therefore, I too thought that brazil nuts in thier shells were banned but from what others say maybe not.
If you contact Redmor at Launceston and ask for Matt Patton, he will be able to supply you with at least fresh nuts. They are a main regional distibutor for this type of thing. The problem with alot of supermarkets is that you dont know exactly how fresh these things are ?
hope this helps, Lannerman.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"CT" wrote

http://www.elixirnews.com/news/brazi...ean_commission....

That may have been so in 2004 (or was it one of those yes we'll have
no bent banana stories?) but you can certainly buy whole Brazils now.
I bought loose mixed nuts in their shells, including Brazils, only
yesterday.

I stand to be corrected, either on the ban itself or simply that some
traders are flouting it, if it does exist!.

I know I haven't seen them in the supermarket for a while, and Googling
for "brazil nut shells" just brought up a load of "they're banned"
stories. *Maybe Google has taken the Daily Mail as a sponsor!

--
Chris

It's an area I used to visit.
The reason for the ban was that brazil nut trees would take 60 odd
years to grow and the nuts are collected from wild trees from the
forest floor.
They could have beeen lying there for weeks and there was some fungus
problem that theoretically could have affected humans.
The ban came in a few years ago and thousands of people in Brasil,
Peru, Bolivia and Ecuador lost their work. Another EU thing. Nobody
had ever caught anything in practice.
The nuts are now boiled, this also makes removing the shells easier.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Martin wrote:
Another comment/warning. Brazil nuts are frequently rich in selenium.
Two nuts per day gives you a little more than the RDA for selenium.
More than eight nuts per day puts you at risk of selenium poisoning.

If you live in Cornwall or Derbyshire radioactive gas might get you
first :-)
http://www.aboutderbyshire.co.uk/cms...killer-l.shtml

Or Aberdeen, I believe
Old 10-12-2011, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote
On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 08:35:29 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:
Another comment/warning. Brazil nuts are frequently rich in selenium.
Two nuts per day gives you a little more than the RDA for selenium.
More than eight nuts per day puts you at risk of selenium poisoning.

If you live in Cornwall or Derbyshire radioactive gas might get you
first :-)
http://www.aboutderbyshire.co.uk/cms...killer-l.shtml

Being alive is a terminal condition.Think of that!
There's a higher risk of dying from being alive than there is eating a
dozen Brazil nuts whilst suffering serious anxiety due to reading the
Daily Mail every day in Cornwall.

--
Sue