Old 03-01-2012, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Treasure!

On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 00:04:02 +0000, lannerman
wrote:

Kathy;946229 Wrote:
See what you can find when you garden!

'BBC News - Sweden: Wedding ring 'found on carrot' after 16
years' (http://tinyurl.com/7rtzy6w)

--
Kathy

Whilst building a rockery at a garden centre in Somerset I found what I
thought was the fossil of some very exciting creature (or part of one) I
rushed up to Bristol museum only to be very disappointed to learn it was
the fossil of a rare coral called Paleosmilia murchisonia and was 400
million years old and that they had lost their only specimen during the
blitz, as far as I know, its still on display
Lannerman.

WOW.
That's pretty fab!
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 03-01-2012, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16374283

--
Kathy

Lots of glass bottles, some about 200 years old at my previous place.

Len on the plot next to me found an unopened bottle of beer buried.
The kids did used to try and hide their booze from the PCSOs as they'd
tip it away or confiscate it.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 03-01-2012, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"lannerman" wrote in message

Kathy;946229 Wrote:
See what you can find when you garden!

'BBC News - Sweden: Wedding ring 'found on carrot' after 16
years' (http://tinyurl.com/7rtzy6w)

--
Kathy

Whilst building a rockery at a garden centre in Somerset I found what I
thought was the fossil of some very exciting creature (or part of one) I
rushed up to Bristol museum only to be very disappointed to learn it was
the fossil of a rare coral called Paleosmilia murchisonia and was 400
million years old and that they had lost their only specimen during the
blitz, as far as I know, its still on display
Lannerman.

--
lannerman

That is very interesting indeed.

No gardening, but when I was younger I was a member of our local Sub-Aqua
club and we undertook to do a survey of he lake at Margam Abbey. It was
thought that perhaps the monks had dumped some of their valuables in the old
mill-pond in the lake, in Henry VIII's days.

I had the opportunity to take a new diver on an open water dive there and we
progressed to an area of undisturbed water. There poking out of the
mud/silt was what looked like the rim of an amphora or large jug. I reached
for it and when I grabbed it I got a bit of a shock it was no jug, but an
eel..

It slithered through my hand and I shot to the surface !

Bill

Old 03-01-2012, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bill Grey
writes
It slithered through my hand and I shot to the surface !

Bill

When Tom was training as an army diver in Bomb Disposal he surfaced only
to find an eel attached to the side of his hand! He had the scar forever
more!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 03-01-2012, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Bill Grey
writes
It slithered through my hand and I shot to the surface !

Bill

When Tom was training as an army diver in Bomb Disposal he surfaced only
to find an eel attached to the side of his hand! He had the scar forever
more!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

In that case who am I to complain ?.......:-))

Bill

Old 03-01-2012, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet Tweedy wrote:
It slithered through my hand and I shot to the surface !

When Tom was training as an army diver in Bomb Disposal he surfaced only
to find an eel attached to the side of his hand! He had the scar forever
more!

I didn't know eels did damage! Are they like, dunno, giant leeches or
something, then?
Old 04-01-2012, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-01-03 20:37:23 +0000, said:

Janet Tweedy wrote:
It slithered through my hand and I shot to the surface !

When Tom was training as an army diver in Bomb Disposal he surfaced only
to find an eel attached to the side of his hand! He had the scar forever
more!

I didn't know eels did damage! Are they like, dunno, giant leeches or
something, then?

Have you seen the teeth on an eel??! As children, we used to swim past
large holes in rocks and scare each other witless with tales of congers!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Congers! Now you're talking

Bill

Old 04-01-2012, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-01-03 20:37:23 +0000, said:

Janet Tweedy wrote:
It slithered through my hand and I shot to the surface !

When Tom was training as an army diver in Bomb Disposal he surfaced
only
to find an eel attached to the side of his hand! He had the scar
forever
more!

I didn't know eels did damage! Are they like, dunno, giant leeches or
something, then?

Have you seen the teeth on an eel??! As children, we used to swim past
large holes in rocks and scare each other witless with tales of congers!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Congers! Now you're talking

Bill

Preferably not when they are. "Smile politely, say 'yes madam' and back
away from the conger". And go home to grow marigolds so you can use the
petals on conger soup!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Conger soup? That's a new one for me :-)

Bill

Old 05-01-2012, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-01-03 20:37:23 +0000, said:

Janet Tweedy wrote:
[...]

I remember three policemen turning up to see what we were up to in the
early hours of a Staurday morning. Three of us were fishing off the old
Town Quay in Fowey for conger eels. The police were very suspicious
until one of the rods kicked, and I landed a twenty five pounder. As
the Sergeant backed away from this writhing thing with teeth, he
remarked that it reminded him of a criminal he knew.

Peter
--
It is necessary for the good man to do nothing for evil to triumph.

Attributed to Edmund Burke 1729 - 1797
Old 06-01-2012, 07:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-01-03 20:37:23 +0000, said:

Janet Tweedy wrote:
[...]

Very old CI recipe for a soup garnished with marigold petals.

I came across an old saying from West Cornwall that is said to date back
to the 18th C that said, "bread and tatties all the week, but conger pie
on Sundays".

In fact we used to eat conger back in the days when I was a fanatical
sea fisherman. Grilled cutlets of conger are remarkably like cod, and
it makes a lovely fish casserole. As does lling.

Peter

Old 07-01-2012, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-01-06 07:55:23 +0000,
(Peter James) said:

Sacha wrote:
snipped

I came across an old saying from West Cornwall that is said to date back
to the 18th C that said, "bread and tatties all the week, but conger pie
on Sundays".

In fact we used to eat conger back in the days when I was a fanatical
sea fisherman. Grilled cutlets of conger are remarkably like cod, and
it makes a lovely fish casserole. As does lling.

Peter

I've eaten ling but never conger, nor the CI 'delicacy' called ormers
which are a cousin of abalone. And I've no desire to change that
status! ;-)

Go on, live dangerously. You might like them.

Peter

Yes. And I might not! Ormers are so tough they have to be stewed for
hours on end and if I ate conger I'd have a vision of its live state in
front of me. No thanks!

Some years ago, I was talking to a friend about congers. He was a keen
sub-aqua diver, and he told me of a wreck in mid-channel that was
accessible to a diver via a large spit in the hull and entry into the
old engine hold. The boiler tubes were visible, and in about half of
them was the head of a living and very large conger eel. A somwhat
eerie site I would have thought.

That would keep you awake at night.
Peter