Old 08-01-2012, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Snow

Just a few comming down here in N.Lincs. But it has started.

Baz
Old 08-01-2012, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
Just a few comming down here in N.Lincs. But it has started.

Baz

You have just beaten me to a posting.

Brilliant sunshine here and a real lovely feeling

Mike
South East Coast of the Isle of Wight

Old 08-01-2012, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 12:59:38 GMT, Baz wrote:

Just a few comming down here in N.Lincs. But it has started.

It is spring in south/Zuid Holland. I hope we aren't going to get your
weather soon.
http://www.yr.no forecasts frost on 16-1-12 & 17-1-12

Let us hope not(fingers, toes, and legs crossed)

Baz

Old 08-01-2012, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baz wrote in news:Xns9FD48EB4377B6bazfawltycom@
69.16.176.251:

Martin wrote in
:

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 12:59:38 GMT, Baz wrote:

Just a few comming down here in N.Lincs. But it has started.

It is spring in south/Zuid Holland. I hope we aren't going to get your
weather soon.
http://www.yr.no forecasts frost on 16-1-12 & 17-1-12

Let us hope not(fingers, toes, and legs crossed)

Baz

And it's chucking it down now, can't see a hand in front of your face!

Baz
Old 08-01-2012, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Baz
writes
Martin wrote in
:

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 12:59:38 GMT, Baz wrote:

Just a few comming down here in N.Lincs. But it has started.

It is spring in south/Zuid Holland. I hope we aren't going to get your
weather soon.
http://www.yr.no forecasts frost on 16-1-12 & 17-1-12

Let us hope not(fingers, toes, and legs crossed)

You can't realistically hope to get through the next couple of months
without any frosts.

Baz

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 09-01-2012, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
On Sun, 8 Jan 2012 14:24:46 +0000, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

In message , Baz
writes
Martin wrote in
:

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 12:59:38 GMT, Baz wrote:

Just a few comming down here in N.Lincs. But it has started.

It is spring in south/Zuid Holland. I hope we aren't going to get your
weather soon.
http://www.yr.no forecasts frost on 16-1-12 & 17-1-12

Let us hope not(fingers, toes, and legs crossed)

You can't realistically hope to get through the next couple of months
without any frosts.

We've only had three nights with sub zero temperatures since September
2011.

* On average the coldest weather occurs in late January.
* We've just had three months of freakishly mild weather - we can't
expect this to continue indefinitely.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 09-01-2012, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote in news:Fe7
:

Let us hope not(fingers, toes, and legs crossed)

You can't realistically hope to get through the next couple of months
without any frosts.

Baz

No, Stewart, but I have 3 weeks off from work as a shut down(as most UK
building firms do during christmas and into the new year) and was hoping to
get some work done in the garden. Sort of managed to get some done.
What frosts come after that I can put up with.

Cheers
Baz
Old 09-01-2012, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 11:08:31 +0000, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

* On average the coldest weather occurs in late January.

Up here it's end of February that is normally the worst. But then we
are always behind the rest of the country, don't expect to have our
first daffs until those in Devon are over.

* We've just had three months of freakishly mild weather - we can't
expect this to continue indefinitely.

Mid December was a bit nippy, 6" to a foot of nasty wet sticky snow
that brought down powerlines and snapped a few poles. No power for 36
hrs.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Robert Hinsley View Post
We've just had three months of freakishly mild weather - we can't expect this to continue indefinitely.
Several forecasters are now forecasting frost for the weekend in SE England, though some are forecasting sharper frosts than others. And 5 days is about the limit of any forecast with any skill, so it's all bit uncertain yet. Frost depends heavily on cloud-cover, and it is very difficult to forecast cloudcover.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
wrote:

In message , Martin
writes
On Sun, 8 Jan 2012 14:24:46 +0000, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

In message , Baz
writes
Martin wrote in
om:

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 12:59:38 GMT, Baz wrote:

Just a few comming down here in N.Lincs. But it has started.

It is spring in south/Zuid Holland. I hope we aren't going to get your
weather soon.
http://www.yr.no forecasts frost on 16-1-12 & 17-1-12

Let us hope not(fingers, toes, and legs crossed)

You can't realistically hope to get through the next couple of months
without any frosts.

We've only had three nights with sub zero temperatures since September
2011.

* On average the coldest weather occurs in late January.
* We've just had three months of freakishly mild weather - we can't
expect this to continue indefinitely.

We had one year in the mid noughties when we had no frost at all.

Son of a friend was eleven before he saw snow locally, back in the late
60s.
--
hugh