Old 21-01-2012, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Nitrogen and worm activity

Hello Everyone. I am new to this newsgroup - I live in Shropshire - and
have a question that relates to some land that I own near to where I live.

I have a two acre field, and have fenced off a largish area which I have
turned into an allotment. Over the last year or two, and particularly
this year, I have been plagued by moles. I have set traps, and have
caught several, but the number of molehills just keeps on increasing,
and now the entire field is virtually full of them. In addition to this
I now have a further problem in that large areas of turf are being dug
up, almost in the manner I would expect if I had a couple of pigs in
there - which I do not.

I believe the digging is being done by badgers, although I can't find
any setts nearby. Both the badgers and the number of moles in my field
and garden I put down to a high worm population - I am 100% organic.

All the land that surrounds my field is grazed by sheep or cut for hay,
with the farmers using a fair amount of nitrogen fertiliser. The
interesting thing is that their fields are barely affected in the way
mine is, and my theory is that the inorganic nitrogen and other top
dressings being used discourage worm activity.

Anyone got any views on this?
Old 21-01-2012, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 13:06:27 +0000, Farmer Giles
wrote:

[...]

Most earthworm species prefer soil with a pH between 5 and 7ish.
Repeated use of nitrogen based fertilisers over time (and this is
years rather than months) will raise the soil acidity and if the soil
pH drops below 4 as a result, then earthworms will largely be absent
from the area. So if your soil is within the earthworm heaven range
they've all moved to your field and a high concentration of worms
leads to a high concentration of critters that feed on them.

In a small garden area, moles can be deterred by reducing the soil pH
in order to reduce the worm population. Plus, of course, it's a
smaller area to set traps in and, indeed, likely that the problem is a
single mole (apart from the mating season) as they're very
territorial. But a 2 acre field is not going to be as easy to deal
with.

Moles don't like disturbance. If fields around are being ploughed then
that will deter them and they'll migrate to your quieter surroundings.
Maybe you could get a neighbouring farmer to plough the bit of your
field that isn't allotment? February to March is main mole nookie time
- probably why the number of molehills is increasing at the moment -
so disturbing them now may have some effect. If nothing else it will
demolish their existing tunnel network. Trouble is that if the field
remains worm central then they'll be back.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.

If a man is alone in the garden and speaks, and there is no woman
to hear him, is he still wrong?
Old 21-01-2012, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that, which does seem to confirm my theory. None of the
fields surrounding mine have been ploughed - it's all pasture land - so
it would seem to be the regular applications of nitrogen that are
sending the worms, followed by the moles and badgers, over to my place.

Ploughing my field is not really an option - and it would also,
presumably, serve to increase the problem in the allotment area. I
suppose I just have to keep on trapping them!

Incidentally, I don't go along with this (common) view that moles are
solitary operators, I think they are much more numerous in small areas
than is generally believed. I myself have trapped dozens in my field
over the last two or three years, and others tell me similar stories,
but they don't seem to be reducing in number!

Old 21-01-2012, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" Nospam@invalid wrote in message

Snip

February to March is main mole nookie time

Jake, you never cease to amaze me with the odd and interesting facts you
know :-}

--
Kathy

Old 21-01-2012, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 15:49:51 -0000, "Kathy" wrote:

"Jake" Nospam@invalid wrote in message
.. .

Snip

February to March is main mole nookie time

Jake, you never cease to amaze me with the odd and interesting facts you
know :-}

I lead such a sad life really! I need to get out more! :~)

I'll start worrying when I start forgetting all the stuff I've learned
over the years. (I can still conjugate some Latin verbs, e.g. amo,
amas, amatrimony).

Cheers, Jake
=======================================

Old 21-01-2012, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" Nospam@invalid wrote in message
On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 15:49:51 -0000, "Kathy" wrote:

"Jake" Nospam@invalid wrote in message
. ..

Snip

February to March is main mole nookie time

Jake, you never cease to amaze me with the odd and interesting facts you
know :-}

I lead such a sad life really! I need to get out more! :~)

I'll start worrying when I start forgetting all the stuff I've learned
over the years. (I can still conjugate some Latin verbs, e.g. amo,
amas, amatrimony).

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.

That now opens up the whole 'I have done Latin' boast :-((

I choose to boast that I have forgotten more Latin than I learnt at the
Private School I went to. Why Oh Why do they feel that Latin is
sooooooooooooooooooo important? OK OK OK I know that plant names are in
Latin and wahay away we go lets boast that we know that the Latin name for a
Daisy is .....................?
Come on, show off, what is it?

Mike

If a man is alone in the garden and speaks, and there is no woman
to hear him, is he still wrong?

Yes because women are like that.

..
..

Old 22-01-2012, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 21, 1:06*pm, Farmer Giles wrote:
[...]

Diggers could be rabbits too. Whatever they are all you can do is
fence them out with chicken wire.
Moles are attracted by worms.if you have a big population there are
people out there will gas them.
Old 22-01-2012, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/01/2012 11:05, harry wrote:
On Jan 21, 1:06 pm, Farmer wrote:
[...]

There is a lot of rabbit activity around the field, so you could well be
correct. I did rabbit proof the allotment/garden with chicken wire, but
to do the perimeter of the whole field - probably around 500yds - is out
of the question. Remember, it needs to go about 18 inches into the
ground to be effective.

Do Earth worm castings contain worm egg Wylie Wilde Gardening 8 08-03-2011 08:21 PM
Do Worm castings contain worm eggs? Wylie Wilde Australia 11 08-03-2011 08:20 PM
[IBC] website - using the list to urge other so engage in illegal activity Andy Rutledge Bonsai 2 01-02-2004 12:43 AM
So much activity! Geodyne Permaculture 4 13-12-2003 12:06 AM
Is there any UK activity in this group mark potter alt.forestry 11 20-03-2003 08:44 PM