Old 10-03-2003, 01:23 PM
mark potter

Default Is there any UK activity in this group

Can't see any UK postings here - just wondered if anyone from the UK is
using this group.

Mark Potter

Old 10-03-2003, 03:08 PM
Geoff Kegerreis

I haven't seen any Mark, but I can tell you that it would be nice to see
some U.K. foresters on this post. In fact, it would be nice to see
English-speaking foresters from all sides of the globe talking about
forestry.

I mean, why not? It's not exactly like it is a orange-apple discussion;
we're
all dedicated to the conservation of forested resources (or supposed to
be).

In particular, I'd like to see more from New Zealand, Austrailia, UK and
some more foresters from Canada. There are a few Canadians on here
from time to time, but most of them are not foresters - some of them are
though!

Bring your friends, MARK!!!!

Warm regards,
Geoff Kegerreis

www.timberlineforestry.com

Old 10-03-2003, 09:22 PM
Sam

1 here from Scotland, but im a newbie still at the lurking stage ;o)

I do whatever my rice krispies tell me to

Old 12-03-2003, 01:16 AM
Rachel

I am a forestry student from BC Canada, just about finished my first year.
I've been lurking here for about two years, since I decided I wanted to be a
forester.
I'm grateful for the interesting converstations here. Its helped me more
than once when participating in classroom discussions.
Rachel

Old 13-03-2003, 03:08 PM
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 13:18:00 -0000, "mark potter"
wrote:

just wondered if anyone from the UK is
using this group.

Lurking.

I'm a furniture maker in SW England, looking to buy a small (10 acre)
woodland.

Old 13-03-2003, 07:32 PM
Joe Zorzin

Just curious about what such a lot would cost in the UK. 10 acres might be
small, but if you want it for your own enjoyment, you can stay busy there
forever- cutting, planting, pruning- trail building- building a pond, stone
walls - sculpture- wild sex and drug orgies- all kinds of fun stuff. G
--
Joe Zorzin
http://www.forestmeister.com

Old 13-03-2003, 10:45 PM
Don Staples

"Joe Zorzin" wrote in message

Just curious about what such a lot would cost in the UK. 10 acres might be
small, but if you want it for your own enjoyment, you can stay busy there
forever- cutting, planting, pruning- trail building- building a pond,

stone
walls - sculpture- wild sex and drug orgies- all kinds of fun stuff. G
--
Joe Zorzin

Ignore Joe, he has cabin fever, but has good questions. What is land worth
in GB. And 10 acres can wear out a young man with Joes approach.

Hey, Joe, 70 degrees, beers cold, dead meat on the barby, how highs the
snow? BSEG But up to our butts in mud, nothing off the hard top for a
while. Got a logging job that buried the skidder before I shut em down.
Mills running off what is brought in that day. Looking at prices to rise
and move some of the stuff been holding.

Old 13-03-2003, 11:00 PM
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 14:27:11 -0500, "Joe Zorzin"
wrote:

Just curious about what such a lot would cost in the UK.

More than it would have cost if I'd bought either of the two I should
have bought last year 8-(

One of them was 20 acres of mixed immature broadleaf woodland, in
South Wales. Sold for only £11K, but I found out about it two days too
late.

The other was 10 acres on the Wales / England border, and a truly
gorgeous location (an area I've liked for 10 years). There was some
recent felling and 6 acres of mature larch remaining. On offer for
£15K. Stupidly I decided against buying it, because my "plan" was to
find something where I could fell a few of the trees and use them for
my cabinetry work. I loved this site, but I just didn't want that much
"useless" larch.

Of course, since then I've been busy felling the abundant oaks and ash
on other people's woodland, and making larger projects from larch.

Old 14-03-2003, 10:44 AM
Joe Zorzin

"Don Staples" wrote in message

"Joe Zorzin" wrote in message

[...]

I've got 5' snow in the front yard where it all blew from the field in the
back. The woods around here all have 3-4'. Right now, at 5:40 AM, it's about
5 degrees F.

Cabin fever- absolutely! I still wonder why my Italian grandparents came to
frigid New England!

JZ

Old 14-03-2003, 10:44 AM
Joe Zorzin

wrote:

[...]

Glad to see you Brits still use "acres". You're probably the only people in
the world, other than we Yanks who still use such an intelligent measuring
system. G

JZ

Old 14-03-2003, 06:44 PM
Mike Hagen

wrote:

[...]

Got over 4.5 inches of rain and 60 mph winds in the last 24 hours.
Wanna trade, Joe?

Old 20-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Geoff Kegerreis

Because they had a "pizza business" to run (ha ha ha)