Old 09-02-2012, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Allotment security

On 09/02/2012 13:49, NT wrote:

If the alarm's loud enough it'll be too painful for the thieves to
even want to go near it. Any half sensible burglar will pick a softer
target. High power piezo shriekers are available, but they require ...
I dont remember, but something like 2A at 24v IIRC, and I may well not
do.

The way things are going it makes me wonder if said burglar could sue
the shed owner for hearing damage! If it can happen with barbed wire or
other "offensive" anti-burglar traps, it is probably only a matter of
time before such an article appears in the Daily Mail / Sun raising the
public's indignation and blood pressure. ;-)

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 11:23:22 +0100, David in Normandy
wrote:

I might have a spare shed alarm somewhere

I probable depends on a number of factors as to how effective an audible
alarm is:
How loud it is.
How long the sound continues.
How close to residential properties.
What time of day or night it goes off.
And if they give a damn anyway.

Typically if a shed alarm were to sound for five seconds (before it got
smashed) at 3 AM, and assuming it managed to wake someone, they may be
less likely to get out of bed to look out of their window, especially if
it wasn't their alarm and if their bedroom was like the Arctic (Brrrr!)
they would be more likely to just wonder "What was that
noizzzzzzzzzzzzz" and turn over and drift off to sleep again.

It's his brother's shed and he doesn't sleep well usually.

True though if it's only going off after they've got in it's probably
useless. Also in cold weather I don't imagine batteries last long ...
A shock alarm maybe to work out when someone is kicking the door in...
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 10-02-2012, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 13:50:30 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 04:49:04 -0800 (PST), NT wrote:

If the alarm's loud enough it'll be too painful for the thieves to
even want to go near it. Any half sensible burglar will pick a softer
target. High power piezo shriekers are available, but they require ...
I dont remember, but something like 2A at 24v IIRC, and I may well not
do.

Beat me to it.

"sound bomb alarm"

At random from 1st page:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TSSB2.html

111dB @ 1m 12v 190mA. A small 12v SLA will keep that going for quite
a while...

It would need protecting by something sturdy but with holes to let
the sound out. Or perhaps fit several around the interior of the shed
as well as a proper exterior bell box/sounder.

Sounds interesting!
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 10-02-2012, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 12:37:10 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Plenty of homeless Staffies at Battersea.

One attacked my sis-in-law last week, came out of nowhere as she was walking
to her front door, tore into her and her show dog, a Rhodesian Ridgeback,
ripping his ears and his neck making him useless for showing in future (he
was due to go to Crufts again in a few weeks) and bit off the top joint of
her finger, luckily they have managed to stitch it back on but still not
sure it will survive and the bone is broken anyway. Ideal type of dog for
your purpose.

OMG!
I don't think I could have a dog with my cats. Well not have the cats
for long... It'd be ideal to be able to just 'accidentally' let one
out on to the site when needed.

I knew someone who has a RR once. Lovely looking dog!
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 10-02-2012, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

I don't think I could have a dog with my cats. Well not have the cats
for long...

We've always had cats and dogs together; cats invariably rule the roost.
Occasionally, visiting dogs failed to grasp the Cats Rule Clause, but the
cats only ever needed to mention it once. Even to Jack Russells.

Janet

Old 13-02-2012, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
On Tue, 7 Feb 2012 07:16:50 -0800 (PST), NT
wrote:

I wouldnt buy sloe plants, its a lot of unnecessary work planting
them. Go find some wild sloes and take long cuttings, and simply stick
the sticks into the ground. Expect around 25% strike rate. Way less
work, costs nothing.

NT

First find a sloe...

Don't know where one is locally.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Likes to grow where the geology is limestone. beware the thorns though.

Bill