Old 09-02-2012, 10:16 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

Default I have a question about Downtown Abbey.

In article
,
Devils Advocaat wrote:

On Feb 7, 7:34Â*pm, "The Undead Edward M. Kennedy" wrote:
"Devils Advocaat" wrote

Downtown Abbey is a pretty good program on BBC America. However,
actual research suggests that British aristocracy treated most of the
domestic class like animals. In fact, I believe some hunting dogs had
it much better than your typical laundry maid. Yes, the Butler and
Housekeeper were treated with respect, but still, seems like this
program is quite inaccurate regarding the Victorian domestic class.
Maybe it's simply liberal Brit revisionist history at work again,
through the auspices of 'high entertainment' by the BBC.

Kate Winslet was good in that Titanic movie.
A bit chubby maybe, but really, quite a fine thespian.

Bullshit - Kate Winslet is a fat cow.

In that case you should enjoy her if she is voted "dish of the day" at
your favourite restaurant.

As a matter of interest, what has this to do with football?

The game you refer to is called soccer - not football.

Sometimes people forget that American English is the standard
on the usenet.

Not entirely true.

Lessee...we invented not only the chatrooms we are using, but
the computer you use to post here and the networks for computers
to communicate with each other. Â*Not to mention the transistor
that enabled computers to be small enough.

That is irrelevant to your claim regarding the standard language of
usenet.

As it happens the first transistor patent was registered in Canada by
the Austrian-Hungarian physicist, Julius Lilienfeld in 1925.

Shockley and Pearson built a working version based on that patent, but
failed to mention this in their papers and articles.

A patent is for a working device. The Lilinefeld patent is not
binding on the first people to build a transistor.

--
Michael Press
Old 09-02-2012, 10:18 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

In article
,
Jim Brown wrote:

On Feb 7, 8:14Â*pm, Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
Disculpa Senora Devils Advocaat, pero did you really mime the following
Â* on 2/7/2012 6:25 PM???

On Feb 7, 10:58 pm, "The Undead Edward M. Â*wrote:
"Devils Â*wrote

snip

The first electronic programmable computer - the Colossus - was
British built in 1943.

The first American computer of the same sort wasn't fully operational
until 1945.

Okay, "useful versions" applies here.

Indeed, the Brits had a working system before the Americans.

Bullshit - have you heard of the EINAC? It was developed at Penn State
University, in my home sate of Pennsylvania. Â*That was teh first
computer that actually worked. I'm not sure what this Collosal that you
talk about is - a quick check on Wikipedia reveals nothing about it.

Sorry Zaph...Iowa state beat Penn St by several years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atanaso...Berry_Computer

It is not a stored program digital computer.

--
Michael Press
Old 09-02-2012, 10:21 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

In article
,
"The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior" wrote:

On Feb 7, 4:58Â*pm, "The Undead Edward M. Kennedy" wrote:
[...]

to communicate with each other. Not to mention the transistor
that enabled computers to be small enough.

That is irrelevant to your claim regarding the standard language of
usenet.

It's entirely relevant. Â*If you don't like, invent your own. Â*Oh,
wait someone sorta did with the world wide web.

As it happens the first transistor patent was registered in Canada by
the Austrian-Hungarian physicist, Julius Lilienfeld in 1925.

Shockley and Pearson built a working version based on that patent, but
failed to mention this in their papers and articles.

The key point is "working version". Â*I have a feeling this will
come up a lot.

With British automobiles, "working version" is pretty standard - as in
working on it all the time.

Thank god the Germans own Mini - now it's finally a reliable vehicle.

Lordy, I hope they retained the oil leaks. Which reminds me.
Lucas built a vacuum cleaner. It was their only product that
did not suck.

--
Michael Press
Old 09-02-2012, 11:47 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

On Feb 9, 10:10*am, Michael Press wrote:
In article
,
*Tater Cole wrote:

Downtown Abbey is a pretty good program on BBC America. However,
actual research suggests that British aristocracy treated most of the
domestic class like animals. In fact, I believe some hunting dogs had
it much better than your typical laundry maid. Yes, the Butler and
Housekeeper were treated with respect, but still, seems like this
program is quite inaccurate regarding the Victorian domestic class.
Maybe it's simply liberal Brit revisionist history at work again,
through the auspices of 'high entertainment' by the BBC.

What is this lame, hateful, hand-wringing, tendentious, weepy,
thread doing in rsfc?

And what's it doing i all the other newsgroups its been cross-posted
to?

Oh. Nevermind.

--
Michael Press

Old 09-02-2012, 11:56 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

On Feb 9, 10:16*am, Michael Press wrote:
In article
,
*Devils Advocaat wrote:

On Feb 7, 7:34*pm, "The Undead Edward M. Kennedy" wrote:
[...]

Actually patents are not exclusively for working devices.

http://www.wipo.int/patentscope/en/p...aq.html#patent

"A patent is an exclusive right granted for an invention, which is a
product or a process that provides, in general, a new way of doing
something, or offers a new technical solution to a problem."

So Lilienfeld's patent stands as valid.

http://www.wipo.int/patentscope/en/p...tml#protection

"Patent protection means that the invention cannot be commercially
made, used, distributed or sold without the patent owner's consent.
These patent rights are usually enforced in a court, which, in most
systems, holds the authority to stop patent infringement. Conversely,
a court can also declare a patent invalid upon a successful challenge
by a third party."

So Shockley and Pearson violated Lilienfeld's patent rights.

--
Michael Press

Old 09-02-2012, 12:41 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

*Tater Cole wrote:

Downtown Abbey is a pretty good program on BBC America. However,
actual research suggests that British aristocracy treated most of the
domestic class like animals. In fact, I believe some hunting dogs had
it much better than your typical laundry maid. Yes, the Butler and
Housekeeper were treated with respect, but still, seems like this
program is quite inaccurate regarding the Victorian domestic class.
Maybe it's simply liberal Brit revisionist history at work again,
through the auspices of 'high entertainment' by the BBC.

What is this lame, hateful, hand-wringing, tendentious, weepy,
thread doing in rsfc?

And what's it doing i all the other newsgroups its been cross-posted
to?

Oh. Nevermind.

--
Michael Press

Some of the British girls are hot and sexy!!

Old 09-02-2012, 03:50 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

"Pavel!" wrote

Downtown Abbey is a pretty good program on BBC America. However,
actual research suggests that British aristocracy treated most of the
domestic class like animals. In fact, I believe some hunting dogs had
it much better than your typical laundry maid. Yes, the Butler and
Housekeeper were treated with respect, but still, seems like this
program is quite inaccurate regarding the Victorian domestic class.
Maybe it's simply liberal Brit revisionist history at work again,
through the auspices of 'high entertainment' by the BBC.

What is this lame, hateful, hand-wringing, tendentious, weepy,
thread doing in rsfc?

And what's it doing i all the other newsgroups its been cross-posted
to?

Oh. Nevermind.

Some of the British girls are hot and sexy!!

This is why we divide and conquer.

--Tedward

Old 09-02-2012, 08:25 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

In article
,
Devils Advocaat wrote:

On Feb 9, 10:16Â*am, Michael Press wrote:
In article
,
Â*Devils Advocaat wrote:

[...]

Patents in the USA ran for 17 years in that time.
The Lilienfeld patent had expired.

--
Michael Press

Lacock Abbey Bob Hobden Garden Photos 0 04-05-2007 05:29 PM
Abbey Gardens, Tresco Sacha United Kingdom 6 20-04-2007 10:53 PM
Tresco Abbey Gardens Sacha United Kingdom 4 20-03-2007 10:24 PM
Winnipeg gardeners? (West End/St. James/ Downtown) Katherine Gardening 0 25-04-2005 08:51 PM
Abbey Garden Nr. Swindon Duncan Heenan United Kingdom 4 09-02-2005 12:23 PM