Old 07-02-2012, 08:24 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

Default I have a question about Downtown Abbey.

On Feb 7, 7:34*pm, "The Undead Edward M. Kennedy" wrote:
"Devils Advocaat" wrote

Downtown Abbey is a pretty good program on BBC America. However,
actual research suggests that British aristocracy treated most of the
domestic class like animals. In fact, I believe some hunting dogs had
it much better than your typical laundry maid. Yes, the Butler and
Housekeeper were treated with respect, but still, seems like this
program is quite inaccurate regarding the Victorian domestic class.
Maybe it's simply liberal Brit revisionist history at work again,
through the auspices of 'high entertainment' by the BBC.

Kate Winslet was good in that Titanic movie.
A bit chubby maybe, but really, quite a fine thespian.

Bullshit - Kate Winslet is a fat cow.

In that case you should enjoy her if she is voted "dish of the day" at
your favourite restaurant.

As a matter of interest, what has this to do with football?

The game you refer to is called soccer - not football.

Sometimes people forget that American English is the standard
on the usenet.

Not entirely true.

Lessee...we invented not only the chatrooms we are using, but
the computer you use to post here and the networks for computers
to communicate with each other. *Not to mention the transistor
that enabled computers to be small enough.

--Tedward

That is irrelevant to your claim regarding the standard language of
usenet.

As it happens the first transistor patent was registered in Canada by
the Austrian-Hungarian physicist, Julius Lilienfeld in 1925.

Shockley and Pearson built a working version based on that patent, but
failed to mention this in their papers and articles.

The first electronic programmable computer - the Colossus - was
British built in 1943.

The first American computer of the same sort wasn't fully operational
until 1945.

Everything since then has merely been developments based on those
previous devices.

As it happens if such developments hadn't taken place your development
of computer networks and bulletin boards which led to the emergence of
the Internet, chatrooms and newsgroups would never have arisen.

Claiming America is solely responsible for all that technology is
consequently a false claim, as erroneous to be honest a claiming it
was Americans and their technology alone that first put a man on the
moon.

Don't forget who developed the first missiles and rockets that gave
your guys the ideas; the Germans, and that famous defector Wenher von
Braun.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:58 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

[...]

It's entirely relevant. If you don't like, invent your own. Oh,
wait someone sorta did with the world wide web.

As it happens the first transistor patent was registered in Canada by
the Austrian-Hungarian physicist, Julius Lilienfeld in 1925.

Shockley and Pearson built a working version based on that patent, but
failed to mention this in their papers and articles.

The key point is "working version". I have a feeling this will
come up a lot.

The first electronic programmable computer - the Colossus - was
British built in 1943.

The first American computer of the same sort wasn't fully operational
until 1945.

Okay, "useful versions" applies here.

Everything since then has merely been developments based on those
previous devices.

As it happens if such developments hadn't taken place your development
of computer networks and bulletin boards which led to the emergence of
the Internet, chatrooms and newsgroups would never have arisen.

Well then I think we should give all the credit to the inventor of the
vaccuum tube diode.

--Tedward

Old 07-02-2012, 11:01 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

[The Undead Edward M. Kennedy, ]
[Tue, 7 Feb 2012 17:58:50 -0500]

: It's entirely relevant. If you don't like, invent your own. Oh,
: wait someone sorta did with the world wide web.

Yeah, in Sweden (Geneva, specifically), you idot.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:25 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

On Feb 7, 10:58*pm, "The Undead Edward M. Kennedy" wrote:
[...]

How about you post here any terms or conditions of usenet that support
your claim that American English is the standard.

As it happens the first transistor patent was registered in Canada by
the Austrian-Hungarian physicist, Julius Lilienfeld in 1925.

Shockley and Pearson built a working version based on that patent, but
failed to mention this in their papers and articles.

The key point is "working version". *I have a feeling this will
come up a lot.

Inventing is not the same as building.

You also seem to have ignored the fact that they failed to mention
where they got the idea from.

In other words, they stole it.

The first electronic programmable computer - the Colossus - was
British built in 1943.

The first American computer of the same sort wasn't fully operational
until 1945.

Okay, "useful versions" applies here.

Indeed, the Brits had a working system before the Americans.

Everything since then has merely been developments based on those
previous devices.

As it happens if such developments hadn't taken place your development
of computer networks and bulletin boards which led to the emergence of
the Internet, chatrooms and newsgroups would never have arisen.

Well then I think we should give all the credit to the inventor of the
vaccuum tube diode.

Indeed you should. Claiming your country did all that stuff in
splendid isolation is sheer arrogance.

I notice you have snipped and ignored the remainder of my previous
post.

Care to explain why?

--Tedward

Old 07-02-2012, 11:33 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

In article ,
Antonio Veranos wrote:

[The Undead Edward M. Kennedy, ]
[Tue, 7 Feb 2012 17:58:50 -0500]

: It's entirely relevant. If you don't like, invent your own. Oh,
: wait someone sorta did with the world wide web.

Yeah, in Sweden (Geneva, specifically), you idot.

I'd retake that course in European Geography if I were you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneva
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CERN
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Berners-Lee
--
Remove blown from email address to reply.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:09 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

On Feb 7, 12:46*pm, mikeos wrote:
On 04/02/2012 07:36, harry wrote:

On Feb 3, 10:16 pm, Tater *wrote:
Downtown Abbey is a pretty good program on BBC America. However,
actual research suggests that British aristocracy treated most of the
domestic class like animals. In fact, I believe some hunting dogs had
it much better than your typical laundry maid. Yes, the Butler and
Housekeeper were treated with respect, but still, seems like this
program is quite inaccurate regarding the Victorian domestic class.
Maybe it's simply liberal Brit revisionist history at work again,
through the auspices of 'high entertainment' by the BBC.

I knew several people who were in "service" as it is called.
Back then,they were treated like shit.

A generalisation. My grandmother was "in service" as a young woman and
her employer could not have been nicer. An army major in Woolwich, who
even provided medical cover, rudimentary though it was around the turn
of the 20th Century.

Leeches were cheap
Old 08-02-2012, 12:12 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

On Feb 7, 4:58*pm, "The Undead Edward M. Kennedy" wrote:
[...]

With British automobiles, "working version" is pretty standard - as in
working on it all the time.

Thank god the Germans own Mini - now it's finally a reliable vehicle.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:14 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

Disculpa Senora Devils Advocaat, pero did you really mime the following
on 2/7/2012 6:25 PM???
On Feb 7, 10:58 pm, "The Undead Edward M. wrote:
"Devils wrote

snip

The first electronic programmable computer - the Colossus - was
British built in 1943.

The first American computer of the same sort wasn't fully operational
until 1945.

Okay, "useful versions" applies here.

Indeed, the Brits had a working system before the Americans.

Bullshit - have you heard of the EINAC? It was developed at Penn State
University, in my home sate of Pennsylvania. That was teh first
computer that actually worked. I'm not sure what this Collosal that you
talk about is - a quick check on Wikipedia reveals nothing about it.

Everything since then has merely been developments based on those
previous devices.

As it happens if such developments hadn't taken place your development
of computer networks and bulletin boards which led to the emergence of
the Internet, chatrooms and newsgroups would never have arisen.

Well then I think we should give all the credit to the inventor of the
vaccuum tube diode.

Indeed you should. Claiming your country did all that stuff in
splendid isolation is sheer arrogance.

Dude. Really!

Nobody claims "splendid isolation" as you put it. America has always
attracted immigrants in droves (yes, even from Ye Olde Englande), and we
are the first to admit that they have helped mightily with all the stuff
we Americans have done. But do give credit where credit is due, man -
it's gracious to do so.

--
Lighthouses are more helpful than churches.
-- Not Benjamin Franklin
Old 08-02-2012, 04:20 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

On Feb 8, 2:14*am, Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
Disculpa Senora Devils Advocaat, pero did you really mime the following
* on 2/7/2012 6:25 PM???

On Feb 7, 10:58 pm, "The Undead Edward M. *wrote:
"Devils *wrote

snip

Why the snippage?

The first electronic programmable computer - the Colossus - was
British built in 1943.

The first American computer of the same sort wasn't fully operational
until 1945.

Okay, "useful versions" applies here.

Indeed, the Brits had a working system before the Americans.

Bullshit - have you heard of the EINAC? It was developed at Penn State
University, in my home sate of Pennsylvania. *That was teh first
computer that actually worked. I'm not sure what this Collosal that you
talk about is - a quick check on Wikipedia reveals nothing about it.

ENIAC wasn't operational until 1946.

The computer I mentioned was called Colossus not Collosal.

You will find the Mark 1 Colossus was up and running in 1943.

And the Mark 2 in 1944.

[...]

Goalpost shifting I see, you never mentioned the help others gave your
country before, so you hold take your own advice of giving credit
where it is due.

And why snip and ignore both beginning and end of my last post?

Old 08-02-2012, 04:37 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

On Feb 7, 8:14*pm, Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
Disculpa Senora Devils Advocaat, pero did you really mime the following
* on 2/7/2012 6:25 PM???

On Feb 7, 10:58 pm, "The Undead Edward M. *wrote:
"Devils *wrote

snip

The first electronic programmable computer - the Colossus - was
British built in 1943.

The first American computer of the same sort wasn't fully operational
until 1945.

Okay, "useful versions" applies here.

Indeed, the Brits had a working system before the Americans.

Bullshit - have you heard of the EINAC? It was developed at Penn State
University, in my home sate of Pennsylvania. *That was teh first
computer that actually worked. I'm not sure what this Collosal that you
talk about is - a quick check on Wikipedia reveals nothing about it.

Sorry Zaph...Iowa state beat Penn St by several years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atanaso...Berry_Computer

Old 08-02-2012, 04:52 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

On Feb 8, 4:37*am, Jim Brown wrote:
[...]

I'm afraid I set the criteria of programmable computers.

And the Berry wasn't programmable if memory serves me right.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:55 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

On Feb 8, 12:12*am, "The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior"
wrote:
[...]

But in matters of patenting, whoever patents an idea, even if they
produce no working version, the patent holder is attributed as the
inventor or discoverer.

Patent theft, such as Shockley and Pearson carried out is dishonest at
best.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:05 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

On Feb 7, 10:52*pm, Devils Advocaat wrote:
[...]

Agree and agree. Just diggin' Zaph with the Iowa State
PSU thing. He's a huge Cyclone fan.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:49 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

wrote:
[...]

The real theft is that those "vehicles" were allowed to be sold to a
public who generally believed that their cars wouldn't live in the
shop - er - shoppe 90% of the time.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:53 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

In article
,
Devils Advocaat wrote:

[...]

How do you classify Babbage's machine then?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Babbage
--
Remove blown from email address to reply.

Lacock Abbey Bob Hobden Garden Photos 0 04-05-2007 05:29 PM
Abbey Gardens, Tresco Sacha United Kingdom 6 20-04-2007 10:53 PM
Tresco Abbey Gardens Sacha United Kingdom 4 20-03-2007 10:24 PM
Winnipeg gardeners? (West End/St. James/ Downtown) Katherine Gardening 0 25-04-2005 08:51 PM
Abbey Garden Nr. Swindon Duncan Heenan United Kingdom 4 09-02-2005 12:23 PM