Old 07-02-2012, 02:24 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

Default I have a question about Downtown Abbey.

Devils Advocaat wrote:
On Feb 4, 9:20 am, Toby Drake wrote:

Kate Winslet was good in that Titanic movie.
A bit chubby maybe, but really, quite a fine thespian.

Kate? A thespian? I thought she loved men? :P

If a lesbian is a thesbian, can't she fake an orgasm convincingly with a guy?
Old 07-02-2012, 02:46 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

"harry" wrote ...

On Feb 3, 10:16 pm, Tater Cole wrote:
Downtown Abbey is a pretty good program on BBC America. However,
actual research suggests that British aristocracy treated most of the
domestic class like animals. In fact, I believe some hunting dogs had
it much better than your typical laundry maid. Yes, the Butler and
Housekeeper were treated with respect, but still, seems like this
program is quite inaccurate regarding the Victorian domestic class.
Maybe it's simply liberal Brit revisionist history at work again,
through the auspices of 'high entertainment' by the BBC.

I knew several people who were in "service" as it is called.
Back then,they were treated like shit.
Badly paid with cramped filthy cold accommodation.
But everything was tough back then, everyone was treated like shit not
just in the UK.
Worst of all was the USA where immigrants were lured by false promises
and then put in sweatshops etc.

Where service exists now (pretty limited) life is a lot better.

Before WW2, even quite small households would have a "housekeeper" at
least. Even terrace houses.
About 25% of the population was employed as servants of some sort.

If you are comparing how they were treated then to how you think now it's
irrelevant. I say that as the general population of this Country were living
in total poverty especially in the Cities like London. More than one family
to a room, and they were big families, one toilet between hundreds, no
washing facilities, just like some of the worst shantytowns of today. When
you got old or could not work the Workhouse became your home or you died. So
getting a clean room, with clean bed linen and clothes to wear and food
provided was heaven for most.
Yes they were mostly treated hard but then life was hard everywhere for the
normal population. 16 hour days 6 days a week and you had to attend Church
twice on Sundays.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:15 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

On Feb 7, 1:54*pm, Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
Disculpa Senora Toby Drake, pero did you really mime the following *on
2/4/2012 4:20 AM???

On Feb 3, 4:16 pm, Tater *wrote:
Downtown Abbey is a pretty good program on BBC America. However,
actual research suggests that British aristocracy treated most of the
domestic class like animals. In fact, I believe some hunting dogs had
it much better than your typical laundry maid. Yes, the Butler and
Housekeeper were treated with respect, but still, seems like this
program is quite inaccurate regarding the Victorian domestic class.
Maybe it's simply liberal Brit revisionist history at work again,
through the auspices of 'high entertainment' by the BBC.

Kate Winslet was good in that Titanic movie.
A bit chubby maybe, but really, quite a fine thespian.

Bullshit - Kate Winslet is a fat cow.

In that case you should enjoy her if she is voted "dish of the day" at
your favourite restaurant.

--
Lighthouses are more helpful than churches.
-- Not Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-02-2012, 04:51 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

On Feb 3, 4:16 pm, Tater wrote:
[...]

As a matter of interest, what has this to do with football?

Not that I am interested in 22 men kicking a bag of wind about, but just
wondered :-)

Mike

Old 07-02-2012, 05:35 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

I expected this thread to include Jethro "Gunny" Gibbs.

--Tedward

Old 07-02-2012, 05:53 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

On Feb 3, 4:16 pm, Tater *wrote:
[...]

Or gardening, philosophy, and creationism? :P

Mike

I'm an Angel, honest ! The horns are there just to keep the halo straight..

Old 07-02-2012, 05:56 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

"Devils Advocaat" wrote

[...]

I thought the Brits were into gardening...? Granted they haven't had
a decent philosopher in over a century.

--Tedward

Old 07-02-2012, 06:15 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

"The Undead Edward M. Kennedy" wrote in message
"Devils Advocaat" wrote

[...]

I'm here for the gardening for my wife. Been gardening for over 50 years
:-))

Me? Cover it with concrete and paint it green :-) 'Cutting the grass' means
a quick hose down and a stiff brush :-))

(Now watch those take a poke at me) .... :-))

Mike

Old 07-02-2012, 06:46 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

On 04/02/2012 07:36, harry wrote:
On Feb 3, 10:16 pm, Tater wrote:
Downtown Abbey is a pretty good program on BBC America. However,
actual research suggests that British aristocracy treated most of the
domestic class like animals. In fact, I believe some hunting dogs had
it much better than your typical laundry maid. Yes, the Butler and
Housekeeper were treated with respect, but still, seems like this
program is quite inaccurate regarding the Victorian domestic class.
Maybe it's simply liberal Brit revisionist history at work again,
through the auspices of 'high entertainment' by the BBC.

I knew several people who were in "service" as it is called.
Back then,they were treated like shit.

A generalisation. My grandmother was "in service" as a young woman and
her employer could not have been nicer. An army major in Woolwich, who
even provided medical cover, rudimentary though it was around the turn
of the 20th Century.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:48 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

"mikeos" wrote

Downtown Abbey is a pretty good program on BBC America. However,
actual research suggests that British aristocracy treated most of the
domestic class like animals. In fact, I believe some hunting dogs had
it much better than your typical laundry maid. Yes, the Butler and
Housekeeper were treated with respect, but still, seems like this
program is quite inaccurate regarding the Victorian domestic class.
Maybe it's simply liberal Brit revisionist history at work again,
through the auspices of 'high entertainment' by the BBC.

I knew several people who were in "service" as it is called.
Back then,they were treated like shit.

A generalisation. My grandmother was "in service" as a young woman and her employer could not have been nicer. An army major in
Woolwich, who even provided medical cover, rudimentary though it was around the turn of the 20th Century.

"In service" -- now there's one hell of a euphemism.

--Tedward

Old 07-02-2012, 06:50 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

On 07/02/2012 14:46, Bob Hobden wrote:
"harry" wrote ...

If you are comparing how they were treated then to how you think now
it's irrelevant. I say that as the general population of this Country
were living in total poverty especially in the Cities like London. More
than one family to a room, and they were big families, one toilet
between hundreds, no washing facilities, just like some of the worst
shantytowns of today.

One toilet? they were lucky - We lived for three months in a paper bag
in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean
the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill,
fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we
got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:56 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

'Mike' presented us with the following on 2/7/2012 11:51 AM:

On Feb 3, 4:16 pm, Tater wrote:
[...]

The game you refer to is called soccer - not football.

Not that I am interested in 22 men kicking a bag of wind about, but just
wondered :-)

Mike

carrying a cross - Not Sinclair Lewis
Old 07-02-2012, 07:08 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

"Zaphod Beeblebrox" wrote

[...]

Sometimes people forget that American English is the standard
on the usenet.

--Tedward

Old 07-02-2012, 07:18 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

On Feb 7, 7:08*pm, "The Undead Edward M. Kennedy" wrote:
"Zaphod Beeblebrox" wrote

[...]

Not entirely true.

--Tedward

Old 07-02-2012, 07:34 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

"Devils Advocaat" wrote

[...]

Lessee...we invented not only the chatrooms we are using, but
the computer you use to post here and the networks for computers
to communicate with each other. Not to mention the transistor
that enabled computers to be small enough.

--Tedward

Lacock Abbey Bob Hobden Garden Photos 0 04-05-2007 05:29 PM
Abbey Gardens, Tresco Sacha United Kingdom 6 20-04-2007 10:53 PM
Tresco Abbey Gardens Sacha United Kingdom 4 20-03-2007 10:24 PM
Winnipeg gardeners? (West End/St. James/ Downtown) Katherine Gardening 0 25-04-2005 08:51 PM
Abbey Garden Nr. Swindon Duncan Heenan United Kingdom 4 09-02-2005 12:23 PM