Old 03-02-2012, 10:16 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

Default I have a question about Downtown Abbey.

Downtown Abbey is a pretty good program on BBC America. However,
actual research suggests that British aristocracy treated most of the
domestic class like animals. In fact, I believe some hunting dogs had
it much better than your typical laundry maid. Yes, the Butler and
Housekeeper were treated with respect, but still, seems like this
program is quite inaccurate regarding the Victorian domestic class.
Maybe it's simply liberal Brit revisionist history at work again,
through the auspices of 'high entertainment' by the BBC.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:09 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

On Feb 3, 5:16*pm, Tater Cole wrote:
Downtown Abbey is a pretty good program on BBC America. However,
actual research suggests that British aristocracy treated most of the
domestic class like animals. In fact, I believe some hunting dogs had
it much better than your typical laundry maid. Yes, the Butler and
Housekeeper were treated with respect, but still, seems like this
program is quite inaccurate regarding the Victorian domestic class.
Maybe it's simply liberal Brit revisionist history at work again,
through the auspices of 'high entertainment' by the BBC.

Tater, I think you are spot on with your observation--most of our
slaveholding class in the South were former British aristos who were
simply re-creating the formula they enjoyed back in the home country.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:36 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

On Feb 3, 10:16*pm, Tater Cole wrote:
Downtown Abbey is a pretty good program on BBC America. However,
actual research suggests that British aristocracy treated most of the
domestic class like animals. In fact, I believe some hunting dogs had
it much better than your typical laundry maid. Yes, the Butler and
Housekeeper were treated with respect, but still, seems like this
program is quite inaccurate regarding the Victorian domestic class.
Maybe it's simply liberal Brit revisionist history at work again,
through the auspices of 'high entertainment' by the BBC.

I knew several people who were in "service" as it is called.
Back then,they were treated like shit.
Badly paid with cramped filthy cold accommodation.
But everything was tough back then, everyone was treated like shit not
just in the UK.
Worst of all was the USA where immigrants were lured by false promises
and then put in sweatshops etc.

Where service exists now (pretty limited) life is a lot better.

Before WW2, even quite small households would have a "housekeeper" at
least. Even terrace houses.
About 25% of the population was employed as servants of some sort.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:20 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

On Feb 3, 4:16*pm, Tater Cole wrote:
Downtown Abbey is a pretty good program on BBC America. However,
actual research suggests that British aristocracy treated most of the
domestic class like animals. In fact, I believe some hunting dogs had
it much better than your typical laundry maid. Yes, the Butler and
Housekeeper were treated with respect, but still, seems like this
program is quite inaccurate regarding the Victorian domestic class.
Maybe it's simply liberal Brit revisionist history at work again,
through the auspices of 'high entertainment' by the BBC.

Kate Winslet was good in that Titanic movie.
A bit chubby maybe, but really, quite a fine thespian.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:42 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

On Feb 4, 9:20*am, Toby Drake wrote:
On Feb 3, 4:16*pm, Tater Cole wrote:

Downtown Abbey is a pretty good program on BBC America. However,
actual research suggests that British aristocracy treated most of the
domestic class like animals. In fact, I believe some hunting dogs had
it much better than your typical laundry maid. Yes, the Butler and
Housekeeper were treated with respect, but still, seems like this
program is quite inaccurate regarding the Victorian domestic class.
Maybe it's simply liberal Brit revisionist history at work again,
through the auspices of 'high entertainment' by the BBC.

Kate Winslet was good in that Titanic movie.
A bit chubby maybe, but really, quite a fine thespian.

Kate? A thespian? I thought she loved men? :P

Old 04-02-2012, 02:26 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

On Feb 3, 5:16*pm, Tater Cole wrote:
Downtown Abbey is a pretty good program on BBC America. However,
actual research suggests that British aristocracy treated most of the
domestic class like animals. In fact, I believe some hunting dogs had
it much better than your typical laundry maid. Yes, the Butler and
Housekeeper were treated with respect, but still, seems like this
program is quite inaccurate regarding the Victorian domestic class.
Maybe it's simply liberal Brit revisionist history at work again,
through the auspices of 'high entertainment' by the BBC.

I am cornfused. I wanted to visit Downton Abbey and see some of the
Grantham family history. I Learned on the documentary series that
it's in North Yorkshire but google maps has it in Wiltshire.

How do you report errors to google maps?

Also any travel tips for visiting there would be appreciated.

TIA!
Old 04-02-2012, 03:31 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

On Feb 4, 3:26*pm, xyzzy wrote:
[...]

Ist, for everyone, the title is Downton Abbey. It is fiction.
2nd, it was filmed at Highclere Castle in Hampshire.
3rd, Downton is a village in Wiltshire.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:32 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

On Feb 4, 3:31*pm, Wombat wrote:
On Feb 4, 3:26*pm, xyzzy wrote:

[...]

And fiction often takes liberties with the truth.

2nd, it was filmed at Highclere Castle in Hampshire.

A fine old building in well kept grounds.

3rd, Downton is a village in Wiltshire.

Didn't Cilla Black used to sing about it?
Old 04-02-2012, 04:39 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

On Feb 4, 2:26*pm, xyzzy wrote:
[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highclere_Castle
http://www.highclerecastle.co.uk/vis...ing-times.html
The best thing you can do is buy a UK guidebook & have a good read.
Then come back with any questions.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:06 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

On Feb 4, 9:31*am, Wombat wrote:
On Feb 4, 3:26*pm, xyzzy wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure where you're getting your information.
It's most definitely 'Downtown Abbey'
Please don't comment unless you can be accurate.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:22 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

On Feb 4, 6:06*pm, Tater Cole wrote:
On Feb 4, 9:31*am, Wombat wrote:
On Feb 4, 3:26*pm, xyzzy wrote:

[...]

Look it up. Googling Downtown Abbey defaults to Downton Abbey.
Methinks 'you' shouldn't comment, unless the name was changed mid-
Atlantic. It was Downton Abbey on BBC 1 and Dutch television.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:20 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

On Feb 4, 9:31*am, Wombat wrote:
On Feb 4, 3:26*pm, xyzzy wrote:

[...]

Ah, well there's the proverbial rub. Obviously, you are ignorant
of the fact the name was changed to Downtown Abbey for BBC
America. Funny how we Americans spell things slightly different
in many ways from the Queen's English: fiber/fibre, color/colour,
Downtown/Downton, etc.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:59 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

On Feb 4, 9:31*am, Wombat wrote:
On Feb 4, 3:26*pm, xyzzy wrote:

[...]

How would I have known that? You are being somewhat impolite.
Downtown as the name of a country house is weird.
Finishing with a joke on English place names:- Somewhere in England
(as the newsreels used to say) there is a direction sign reading "To
Old Bolingbroke and Mavis Enderby" to which a wit has appended "the
gift of a son".
Old 04-02-2012, 08:42 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

On Feb 4, 9:31*am, Wombat wrote:
On Feb 4, 3:26*pm, xyzzy wrote:

[...]

Further to my last mail, from the BBC America site
http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglopheni...overns-career/
is the little factoid "Downton Abbey, the hit British series that
begins its second season on PBS this Sunday (Jan. 9), has positively
pushed the reset button on the career of Elizabeth McGovern". There
are many, many other examples. No mention of Downtown. Where did
your spelling come from? Game, set and match?
Old 04-02-2012, 09:04 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,uk.rec.gardening,alt.talk.creationism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.philosophy

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/features/...ownton_Abbey_/

Lacock Abbey Bob Hobden Garden Photos 0 04-05-2007 05:29 PM
Abbey Gardens, Tresco Sacha United Kingdom 6 20-04-2007 10:53 PM
Tresco Abbey Gardens Sacha United Kingdom 4 20-03-2007 10:24 PM
Winnipeg gardeners? (West End/St. James/ Downtown) Katherine Gardening 0 25-04-2005 08:51 PM
Abbey Garden Nr. Swindon Duncan Heenan United Kingdom 4 09-02-2005 12:23 PM