Old 24-02-2012, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Vine Weevils!

Spent most of the day in the garden yesterday. I decided to split up
some small but congested crowns of Primula bulleyana. Just as well I
did, as I discovered lots of VW larvae, some of them quite chubby.
Fortunately, there was a mass of root in each potful so they hadn't had
time to make their presence felt.

I don't think I've ever found them this early. Today I'll be outside
again checking the rest of my potted primulas, cyclamen, fuchsias and
indeed anything else that looks sad, just in case.

You may wish to take this as an early warning.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 24-02-2012, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 12:19:05 +0000, Spider wrote:

Spent most of the day in the garden yesterday. I decided to split up
some small but congested crowns of Primula bulleyana. Just as well I
did, as I discovered lots of VW larvae, some of them quite chubby.

The classic rear engined VW beetles? :-)

Fortunately, there was a mass of root in each potful so they hadn't had
time to make their presence felt.

I don't think I've ever found them this early. Today I'll be outside
again checking the rest of my potted primulas, cyclamen, fuchsias and
indeed anything else that looks sad, just in case.

You may wish to take this as an early warning.

--

Martin

Martin I see some crap on here which the posters have thought to be 'funny',
but your VW crack there is brilliant and very clever.

urg comics, give up. You won't beat that one.

Mike

Old 24-02-2012, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/02/2012 12:30, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 12:19:05 +0000, wrote:

Spent most of the day in the garden yesterday. I decided to split up
some small but congested crowns of Primula bulleyana. Just as well I
did, as I discovered lots of VW larvae, some of them quite chubby.

The classic rear engined VW beetles? :-)

LOL! I thought that as I typed it! :~)

Old 24-02-2012, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/02/2012 12:53, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 12:46:35 +0000, wrote:

On 24/02/2012 12:30, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 12:19:05 +0000, wrote:

Spent most of the day in the garden yesterday. I decided to split up
some small but congested crowns of Primula bulleyana. Just as well I
did, as I discovered lots of VW larvae, some of them quite chubby.

The classic rear engined VW beetles? :-)

LOL! I thought that as I typed it! :~)

I knew exactly what you meant, but in my mind I saw Herbie, The Love
Bug.

Can't say that I spare much love for this particular bug :~(.

Old 24-02-2012, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/02/2012 18:04, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 18:02:18 +0000, wrote:

On 24/02/2012 12:53, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 12:46:35 +0000, wrote:

On 24/02/2012 12:30, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 12:19:05 +0000, wrote:

Spent most of the day in the garden yesterday. I decided to split up
some small but congested crowns of Primula bulleyana. Just as well I
did, as I discovered lots of VW larvae, some of them quite chubby.

The classic rear engined VW beetles? :-)

LOL! I thought that as I typed it! :~)

I knew exactly what you meant, but in my mind I saw Herbie, The Love
Bug.

Can't say that I spare much love for this particular bug :~(.

Our kids liked it when they were small.

I never saw it (seen images, tho'). My father used to introduce me to
creepy crawly bugs, but VW wasn't around then. I suppose I could still
watch Love Bug ... I've always made a point of not acting my age :~).

Old 25-02-2012, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/02/2012 22:13, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 18:31:49 +0000, wrote:

[...]

One of the Herbie films was on BBC TV during the Christmas holidays.

Bound to be on at Easter, too. I'll look out for it.

Old 26-02-2012, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/02/2012 22:56, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 22:35:32 +0000, wrote:

[...]

I'm not recommending it.

My wife wants to know what VW larvae look like.

They're small cream chubby maggot-like things with an orangey-brown
head. Usually curled up in a c-shape, usually only found in the
rootball of plants, or in the soil below a dead plant with no roots 'cos
they've just been scoffed by the aforementioned :~(.

The adult is more often seen. These are about 1/2" to 3/4" long,
darkish grey-brown with lighter speckling. They eat notches in leaves
and lay their eggs in the soil near favoured plants (primula, cyclamen,
fuchsias, to name but a few).

I'm sure google will offer you a pic to admire.

Old 26-02-2012, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/02/2012 11:19, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 11:01:47 +0000,
wrote:

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 23:56:48 +0100, wrote:

My wife wants to know what VW larvae look like.

Here's a pic of some people sorting out some VW larvae in their
garden:

http://redoubtreporter.files.wordpre...-tires-web.jpg

I found this site
http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/vineweevil.htm

How do you know that they are VW larvae and not some other larvae?

Usually because they're associated with one of 'their' favourite plants.
Also, VWs are associated with pot culture, although they can be found
in garden soil.

Old 26-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Registered User

Location: South Oxfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin[_2_] View Post
On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 22:35:32 +0000, Martin wrote:[i]

My wife wants to know what VW larvae look like.
--

Martin

So tempting to add a picture of the "Take up!" (smallest model in VW range....)

Rachel
Fellow VW larvae-hater