Old 26-02-2012, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Going it alone

My lottie partner has finally decided today that she is giving up. This
follows a year of her thinking about it, in which she did hardly anything on
the plot. I'm now going to give it a go at doing it alone. At least there
will be no more arguments about weeds [dig in or dig out] or beds [raised or
flat]. Thankfully, we're still good friends.

--
Kathy

Old 26-02-2012, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy" wrote

My lottie partner has finally decided today that she is giving up. This
follows a year of her thinking about it, in which she did hardly anything
on the plot. I'm now going to give it a go at doing it alone. At least
there will be no more arguments about weeds [dig in or dig out] or beds
[raised or flat]. Thankfully, we're still good friends.

We have a number of ladies that have plots and garden on thier own including
one in her late 60s who is still also at work full time and another in her
80s that only has help from her son to do the heavy digging. She is also
always the first person on the site to get things planted and her plot is
always in good condition and weed free. She recently asked her Doctor if she
should give up and he said certainly not.
So are you a modern raised bed, lots of space wasting paths sort of gardener
or an old fashioned flat plot all cultivated in straight rows to make life
easier type?
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 26-02-2012, 10:58 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy View Post
My lottie partner has finally decided today that she is giving up. This
follows a year of her thinking about it, in which she did hardly anything on
the plot. I'm now going to give it a go at doing it alone. At least there
will be no more arguments about weeds [dig in or dig out] or beds [raised or
flat]. Thankfully, we're still good friends.
It's much nicer being able to make the management decisions yourself, both because you can do what you think best, and because there's no scope for bad feeling when something turns out not as expected. Ample compensation for the loss of labour. And she's been kind enough to let you have a year to get used to doing it all yourself ;-)
__________________
Old 26-02-2012, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy" wrote in :

My lottie partner has finally decided today that she is giving up.
This follows a year of her thinking about it, in which she did hardly
anything on the plot. I'm now going to give it a go at doing it
alone. At least there will be no more arguments about weeds [dig in
or dig out] or beds [raised or flat]. Thankfully, we're still good
friends.

If you decide to get another lottie partner maybe you could divide it into
2 plots, Even 3, and do your own thing, whatever suits you independently of
the other partner/s.
I would love to have someone in my area to share with. A full size 300sq/m
would be far too big for me. It would be a waste. A 100sq/m plot would be
ideal and very much appreciated by me and my family, but my local council
will not cater unless it is the full plot despite requests from 100's of
people on the waiting list.(in my area)

Good luck with going it alone, sincerely
Baz
Old 26-02-2012, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Baz
writes
Good luck with going it alone, sincerely
Baz

Put an advert in the local paper baz or with the local gardening club or
even in the local garden centre for someone to share the allotment with
you. I am sure you'll find someone.
My brother has just got a plot in Shoreham and he has a half plot, at
the site there are quite a few half plots being cultivated already.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 26-02-2012, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 11:36:46 GMT, Baz wrote:

"Kathy" wrote in :

My lottie partner has finally decided today that she is giving up.
This follows a year of her thinking about it, in which she did hardly
anything on the plot. I'm now going to give it a go at doing it
alone. At least there will be no more arguments about weeds [dig in
or dig out] or beds [raised or flat]. Thankfully, we're still good
friends.

If you decide to get another lottie partner maybe you could divide it into
2 plots, Even 3, and do your own thing, whatever suits you independently of
the other partner/s.

+1 on this idea.
We had 3 shared plots on our site. 1 didn't split in half and shared
the full plot. They fell out and one gave up his half.

I think my plot is 180m2 - so you have a huge plot!

It does seem strange the council won't let you divide up the plot
formally.
I would look at approaching councillors and asking why not change the
rules.

http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 26-02-2012, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Kathy" wrote

[...]

A bit of both :-} I was quite happy when Ann put raised beds in for the soft
fruit, but not at all happy with her wanting to do the same to the veg side.

--
Kathy

Old 26-02-2012, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .
"Kathy" wrote in :

[...]

It a standard 10 rod plot. Nearly half is taken up with fruit.

Good luck with going it alone, sincerely

Thank you.

--
Kathy