Old 26-02-2012, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garden seems to be dead

Further to my last post on my pond. I might add my whole garden seems to
have died this year and I don't know why. Its a mature garden and usually
you can set the seasons by it - even the clock.

Nothing, absolutely nothing is coming up. Everything has died. My mimosa ( a
30 year old acacia delblata actually) failed to flower. My camellia which
are usually finishing now are barely in bud and have stuck. My magnolia is
the same. Snowdrops didn't appear nor crocus nor daffodils .....

My verbena has flowered. Everything else seems to be dead or dying. I
haven't done anything different and I just cannot work out why. Suggestions
would be helpful.

Garden is 1/3 of an acre. Tamar Valley soil - usually highly productive.

Old 26-02-2012, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-02-26 09:33:50 +0000, "sweetheart" hotmail.com said:

Garden is 1/3 of an acre. Tamar Valley soil - usually highly productive.

Haven't you had some very cold nights there? Perhaps things have just
gone into a sort of suspension. It's still not the end of February but I
think some of us have been lulled into false expectations by a mild
January.

The Tamar Valley micro climate has been true to form and this has been a
"normal winter" - so no extra cold nights. In fact, I dont think my garden
has seen a real frost the whole of this winter, even when it was very cold.

The winter of 2010/11 was quite brutal, too and it does make
me wonder if some plants had a real shock then and haven't quite
recovered!

That is true I would agree. 2009/ 10 was brutal too.

Old 27-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart View Post
My verbena has flowered. Everything else seems to be dead or dying. I
haven't done anything different and I just cannot work out why. Suggestions
would be helpful.
Have you spread something on it? There were warnings going around a while back about some horse manure or compost or something that had a herbicidal effect from some chemical that had survived the processing. This mainly seemed to be problem a couple of years ago, but maybe there was still some around.
Old 27-02-2012, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"echinosum" wrote in message
sweetheart;952018 Wrote:
My verbena has flowered. Everything else seems to be dead or dying. I
haven't done anything different and I just cannot work out why.
Suggestions
would be helpful.

Have you spread something on it? There were warnings going around a
while back about some horse manure or compost or something that had a
herbicidal effect from some chemical that had survived the processing.
This mainly seemed to be problem a couple of years ago, but maybe there
was still some around.

No nothing on it. I had neglected it somewhat last year but its mature
enough as a garden and can usually stand neglect.

Old 27-02-2012, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/02/2012 17:57, sweetheart wrote:

"echinosum" wrote in message
sweetheart;952018 Wrote:
My verbena has flowered. Everything else seems to be dead or dying. I
haven't done anything different and I just cannot work out why.
Suggestions
would be helpful.

Have you spread something on it? There were warnings going around a
while back about some horse manure or compost or something that had a
herbicidal effect from some chemical that had survived the processing.
This mainly seemed to be problem a couple of years ago, but maybe there
was still some around.

No nothing on it. I had neglected it somewhat last year but its mature
enough as a garden and can usually stand neglect.

Are you close enough to a farm to suffer herbicide drift?

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

Old 27-02-2012, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

"echinosum" wrote in message
sweetheart;952018 Wrote:
My verbena has flowered. Everything else seems to be dead or dying. I
haven't done anything different and I just cannot work out why.
Suggestions
would be helpful.
Have you spread something on it? There were warnings going around a
while back about some horse manure or compost or something that had a
herbicidal effect from some chemical that had survived the processing.
This mainly seemed to be problem a couple of years ago, but maybe there
was still some around.

No nothing on it. I had neglected it somewhat last year but its mature
enough as a garden and can usually stand neglect.

Are you close enough to a farm to suffer herbicide drift?

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
gardening on clay- Hide quoted text -

No one would be spraying at this time of year.
Old 28-02-2012, 06:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"echinosum" wrote in message

Are you close enough to a farm to suffer herbicide drift?

--

Quite possibly. It had crossed my mind. I have farm land all round me. I
might also say, this and several other problems ( including getting rats as

Old 28-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Registered User

A lot of my stuff has been late this year. I hope something comes up for you, you must be worried. Keep us posted, as it would be lovely to hear you had a few successes.
XG