Old 08-03-2012, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I've overdone it again...

Planted our Shallots today, ended up with 6 rows, that's 120 feet of them.
Red Sun, Jermor, Devred, French Longue and French Grisse which is supposed
to be the French Chefs favourite, a speciality of SW France. The Grisse have
been growing in modules since Christmas, the French normally plant them in
the autumn I'm told, and I also potted up some of my own Jermor that had
begun to sprout early.
Goodness knows why I bought the Red Sun, probably for pickling but Jermors
pickle brilliantly anyway.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 08-03-2012, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
Planted our Shallots today, ended up with 6 rows, that's 120 feet of
them.

Good grief you like shallots!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 08-03-2012, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Planted our Shallots today, ended up with 6 rows, that's 120 feet of them.

Remember: Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/03/2012 16:43, Bob Hobden wrote:
Planted our Shallots today, ended up with 6 rows, that's 120 feet of
them. Red Sun, Jermor, Devred, French Longue and French Grisse which is
supposed to be the French Chefs favourite, a speciality of SW France.
The Grisse have been growing in modules since Christmas, the French
normally plant them in the autumn I'm told, and I also potted up some of
my own Jermor that had begun to sprout early.
Goodness knows why I bought the Red Sun, probably for pickling but
Jermors pickle brilliantly anyway.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Thank goodness it's only the shallots you've over done ... I thought for
one nasty moment that you might have done yourself an injury! I'm sure
you'll enjoy growing and eating the shallots in due course. Hope they
do well for you.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 08-03-2012, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote ...

Bob Hobden wrote:
Planted our Shallots today, ended up with 6 rows, that's 120 feet of
them. Red Sun, Jermor, Devred, French Longue and French Grisse which is
supposed to be the French Chefs favourite, a speciality of SW France.
The Grisse have been growing in modules since Christmas, the French
normally plant them in the autumn I'm told, and I also potted up some of
my own Jermor that had begun to sprout early.
Goodness knows why I bought the Red Sun, probably for pickling but
Jermors pickle brilliantly anyway.

Thank goodness it's only the shallots you've over done ... I thought for
one nasty moment that you might have done yourself an injury! I'm sure
you'll enjoy growing and eating the shallots in due course. Hope they do
well for you.

They usually do well, especially the Jermor which we normally use for
cooking and pickling. The reason we have so many is that on top of those we
intended to plant a friend bought us some from France, a bag of the long
ones and another of the special small grey ones which seem most unusual with
very thick skins. Should be interesting to see how they do. Then another
friend gave us some Devred to try.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/03/2012 22:51, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Spider" wrote ...

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

Yes, I've heard that shallots often do well, even when onions are having
a poor year. I may try some myself next year. I'm the only real lover
of onions in our house, so there's not much point in my growing
full-sized onions. Shallots sound just the job. In your experience, is
there one that would be mild but flavoursome enough to use in place of
spring onions? More for use with sandwiches than salads.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Spider" wrote ...

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you need Jermor if you can get some at a reasonable cost. All
shallots have a milder sweeter taste than Onions, not as raw, which is why
chefs like them. We also prefer pickled shallots to pickled onions and they
do tend to store longer too.
Last year our onions were a disaster but our garlic and shallots did very
well and they were all in the same bed due to our 4 year rotation.
Certainly not too late to plant for this year, try a few, I plant 9 inches
apart both ways as we have White Rot in the soil and I don't want the roots
touching and causing cross infection. Also makes hoeing easier.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/03/2012 17:14, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Spider" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Spider" wrote ...

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that, Bob. A recommendation is always helpful. I'll look
out for some Jermor.